PDA

View Full Version : Our Children (16+) as Assistants

Chatterbox Childcare
30-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I was reading a couple of threads today about our 16 year old children and the possibility of them being registered assistants and for them to be left in sole charge of the children. It made me think as I use my 16 year old to do just this.

So I got on the telephone to Ofsted who stated that:

If you register your child as an assistant and get the letter of acceptability from Ofsted then they can be left in sole charge IF you have it put on your certificate and have parental permission for each child. They also said that they don't have to do the first aid course.

On top of this if you go down this road, your child will need to be covered insurance wise so check with your insurance company. NCMA do cover for employees or volunteers.

Hope that clears is up. It gave me peace of mind.

Tatia
30-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh wow, I thought it was 18. However, this information might just help me out of a right pickle about being in 2 places at once 1 day a week.

Thanks for that!

Pedagog
30-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Thats handy to know. Thanks

sarah707
30-09-2008, 01:30 PM
They also said that they don't have to do the first aid course.

I am a little confused.

I understood from reading Eyfs that anyone left in sole charge of children MUST have a first aid certificate...

Did you get this in writing from Ofsted Debbie?

Pauline
30-09-2008, 02:16 PM
ees I'd get it in writing Debbie because I too thought that under EYFS anyone with sole care must have First Aid.

(Moving this to the Assistants section at Debbie's request :))

Minstrel
30-09-2008, 02:44 PM
i was gonna ask the same q because i've just enquired about my OH becoming an assistant and although he has a current first aid cert for his job apparently he needs a new one to be left in charge of children.
I would be interested to know if any has it in writing of anything different because it would save us an unnecessary expense. thanks x

Chatterbox Childcare
30-09-2008, 03:10 PM
I have emailed Ofsted to clarify all the points I raised and for them to send it in writing. I agree with the EYFS statement but they have twice told me no to first aid

Watch this space!

Tatia
30-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Ahhh, silly me, didn;t even think to question that.

I'm such a sheep!:blush:

Minstrel
30-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm such a sheep!:blush:

:laughing: baa:laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
30-09-2008, 09:53 PM
No response as yet - must be having a meeting about it!

Chatterbox Childcare
01-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Update and to quote Ofsted:

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry I would like to advise you that in the EYFS guidance it does state that there must be one first aider on site at all times so this would mean if your son was to be left in sole charge he would need a full paediatric first aid.

It changes everytime I speak to them.. but here it is in black and white (good job mine is currently doing a first aid at college)

Rubybubbles
01-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Update and to quote Ofsted:

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry I would like to advise you that in the EYFS guidance it does state that there must be one first aider on site at all times so this would mean if your son was to be left in sole charge he would need a full paediatric first aid.

It changes everytime I speak to them.. but here it is in black and white (good job mine is currently doing a first aid at college)

:panic: what if you hadn't chased this up!! Ofsted need a kick up the:censored:

Minstrel
01-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Thank you for posting that debbie- you've helped tons!

sarah707
01-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Thank you for clarifying that Debbie... always best to get it in writing :D

Tatia
01-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I just rang my network co to see about getting my daughter on next available first aid course. She's not sure if Surestart will fund assistants or not which is fair enough so I asked if she could go on a Surestart training if I paid for it myself. I guess we'll see.

Thanks Deb for bringoint this to forefront for me as I've been meaning to do it anyway.:)

Pauline
03-10-2008, 07:27 AM
I think the best advice is never phone Ofsted (unless it's urgent) and always write or email so that you get it in writing!!

Thanks Debbie they have finally said what we already knew! :rolleyes: