PDA

View Full Version : All I can think of is....HELP!?

Helen Dempster
29-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi ladies

I'm in dire straits (no comments about this being a great band, this is serious!) :rolleyes:

I have a 3 yr old and 2 yr old mindee who I have for 2 days p. week and only short-term for 5 wks (this is my first full week with them). I'm trying to think of interesting things I can do within the short time they're in my care. Has anyone got any good ideas? They're very quiet kiddies and I'd like them to come out of their shells a bit. I also have a 2 year old son who's totally opposite, really sociable etc, so the activities must suit all. Is it worth having a 'theme' do you think? Or should I just think of fun things to do each of the days they're with me? I was thinking of maybe doing something autumn related, but I really don't know. Any help would be FANTASTIC. Also, how do you all plan your days? Do you sit down the evening before and write out a plan?

Pleeeeeeease help (tonight if poss) cos I've got them from 8am-7pm tomorrow :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks in advance xx

kindredspirits
29-09-2008, 08:11 PM
hey, if you want to get them out of their shells, so to speak, how about doing some messy play??? i think you'll be more limited with a theme, unless its a loose one.
i'm sure you'll be fine!

anna x

Saranotts
29-09-2008, 08:20 PM
If you did an autumn theme you could:-

go to the park and collect leaves and conkers

you could then do leaf printing

playdough and sticking the conker shell in etc and seeing the imprints it leaves

a collage with the leaves

counting conkers

rolling conkers (rolling conkers in paint)

make a hedgehog out of salt dough

make fireworks out of cardboard tubes and paint and pipe cleaners and tissue paper

talk about fireworks and safety

uummmmmm sorry if I am going on.

As for planning, I always try and have an idea of what we are going to be doing but it sometimes goes out the window or goes in a different direction, depending on the children and their mood at the time.

Hope this helps a bit and I hope you have some good fun with them.

Sara

Helen Dempster
29-09-2008, 08:45 PM
If you did an autumn theme you could:-

go to the park and collect leaves and conkers

you could then do leaf printing

playdough and sticking the conker shell in etc and seeing the imprints it leaves

a collage with the leaves

counting conkers

rolling conkers (rolling conkers in paint)

make a hedgehog out of salt dough

make fireworks out of cardboard tubes and paint and pipe cleaners and tissue paper

talk about fireworks and safety

uummmmmm sorry if I am going on.

As for planning, I always try and have an idea of what we are going to be doing but it sometimes goes out the window or goes in a different direction, depending on the children and their mood at the time.

Hope this helps a bit and I hope you have some good fun with them.

Sara

Thanks for this Sara - some great ideas there! I was thinking about going to the park and collecting leaves etc (cos my little boy loves doing that). It's fun designing pictures/collages with our finds, so I might do that tomorrow. I've just seen the ELC does a free play from 9.30-11am where the little 'uns can play with all the toys in store free of charge (even better!) I might go there in the morning too :D

Hels xx

Pipsqueak
29-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for this Sara - some great ideas there! I was thinking about going to the park and collecting leaves etc (cos my little boy loves doing that). It's fun designing pictures/collages with our finds, so I might do that tomorrow. I've just seen the ELC does a free play from 9.30-11am where the little 'uns can play with all the toys in store free of charge (even better!) I might go there in the morning too :D

Hels xx

Now you are feeling a bit better can we now make some jokes about Dire Straits??? lol

I was actually going to suggest the "autumn" theme but Sara beat me to it!
We are currently doing autumn - check out sparkle box, as we are doing a big wall display.

Any childminder drop ins near you that you could go to?

Making some Mr Grassheads or Cressheads

Saranotts
29-09-2008, 09:31 PM
just remember doing this job is MONEY FOR NOTHING .......:laughing:

One idea I once (borrowed) was draw an outline of a peacock and then stick double sided tape, about 4 pieces, where the tail feathers would be. Then when you are out on your walk, any pretty different coloured leaves they find, they can peel off the other side of the tape and stick the leaves straight on iyswim. At the end of the walk they should then have a pretty peacock.:D

Sara

Twinkles
29-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Puddle splashing !! even the quiet ones like that......er I'm sure you could link it to eyfs :D

twise
29-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Music making using things around the house; pasta in a tin (shakers), wooden spoons on a bowl (drums), corks in a juice bottle, metal whisks, jam jar lids..etc

Get them to make their own shakers using toilet roll, rice and baking paper for the ends. Stick on their favourite tune (maybe a Dire Straits ditty!!!) and they can play along.

Just make sure you you take some anadin extra first!!!!;)

With regard to planning I do all mine the wekend before.

Tracy

sarah707
29-09-2008, 09:53 PM
I went to see dire straits in 1985 when I was a student in Manchester.

It was and still is the best concert I've ever been to.

I came across the ticket stub not long ago.. happy memories :D

We're doing an autumn theme just now too... great fun watching the squirrels today.

Then we mixed brown paint and did some pictures and hand print trees :D

Saranotts
29-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I went to see dire straits in 1985 when I was a student in Manchester.

It was and still is the best concert I've ever been to.

I came across the ticket stub not long ago.. happy memories :D

We're doing an autumn theme just now too... great fun watching the squirrels today.

Then we mixed brown paint and did some pictures and hand print trees :D

Ooooh I saw them at an open air concert at Woburn Abbey in the early 90's they were absolutely fantastic. I love Brothers in Arms its one of my favorite albums.

Sara

emmadines
29-09-2008, 10:46 PM
hi I find having a topic to work with helps you to find activities that you can do with the kiddies, there is a section in this site that will give you some good idea's.

how about making leaf mobiles?? you could either collect leaves and then glue them to some string etc. i laminated the leaves as i hought they might last a bit longer (i have pics if you want to see)

other then that how about butterfly painting??? just glup different colours onto one side of folded paper. then refold and open........... messy but fun....:laughing:

angeldelight
29-09-2008, 11:00 PM
You already had great advice from everyone

Just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow hope you have a good day

Angel xx

Helen Dempster
30-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all the advice girlies - there's some GREAT ideas here :thumbsup: As for all of those who digressed and started reminiscing about Dire Straits...come on, you're not big and you're not clever...but you ARE showing your age! hee hee :p

Helen Dempster
30-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Music making using things around the house; pasta in a tin (shakers), wooden spoons on a bowl (drums), corks in a juice bottle, metal whisks, jam jar lids..etc

Get them to make their own shakers using toilet roll, rice and baking paper for the ends. Stick on their favourite tune (maybe a Dire Straits ditty!!!) and they can play along.

Just make sure you you take some anadin extra first!!!!;)

With regard to planning I do all mine the wekend before.

Tracy

Did this today...OWWWWWW MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fun though. We danced alot too (one way to lose weight - I was shattered!) Their mum was surprised they danced as they never will with her (probably cos this crazy woman claiming to be a respectable childminder was dancing like dad at the disco!) LOL :blush:

Saranotts
30-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice girlies - there's some GREAT ideas here :thumbsup: As for all of those who digressed and started reminiscing about Dire Straits...come on, you're not big and you're not clever...but you ARE showing your age! hee hee :p

:blush: Sara crawls back into her corner with her head phones on :blush:
but at least I don't dance like my dad :laughing: :laughing:

Sara

sarah707
01-10-2008, 06:58 AM
As for all of those who digressed and started reminiscing about Dire Straits...come on, you're not big and you're not clever...but you ARE showing your age! hee hee :p

Early 30s... I was a student babe! :laughing: