PDA

View Full Version : signing children in - pipsqueak?

mrsb
29-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Just following on fro manother thread, pipsqueak you said you were picked up on not signing the children in at your inspection, I've never done this:panic: :eek: do you get the parents to sign when they arrive?
All I've got is the ncma attendance register:panic:

Pipsqueak
29-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Yes thats what I mean the attendance register - the inspector called it "signing the children in".
sorry I didn't meant to confuzzle.:)

kiddiwinks
29-09-2008, 05:19 PM
I get parents to sign the children in/out every day (they put time then sign)
I was marked down on my inspection for not putting full name on paper attendance. (I do all my accounts up on the pc and it adds up hours so fees etc and i did put the full names on there dont know why i did not put it on paper one.)

kindredspirits
29-09-2008, 06:48 PM
oh gosh i forgot all about that!!!!!!! my attendance record is sitting happily in my ncma box, unopened!!!! :panic: :blush:

littlegems
29-09-2008, 06:50 PM
i am confused!! again!
i use the ncma attedence record but get them to sign this on a weekly basis, not everyday - is this wrong???

Rubybubbles
29-09-2008, 06:52 PM
oh gosh i forgot all about that!!!!!!! my attendance record is sitting happily in my ncma box, unopened!!!! :panic: :blush:

:eek: this is def something they are hot on!! I was picked up on it on my inspection back in the day! somthing to do with insurance cover;)

MissTinkerbell
29-09-2008, 06:56 PM
I was told that it was also to do with if a child has an accident after they have left you... for example you are contracted to have child 8am til 5.30pm. Mum picks X up at 5.15pm and has accident at top of road at 5.25pm. If you have signed out child at 5.30pm it contradicts what mum is saying to police and insurance, however if you signed them out at 5.15pm you are OK.

I only put first names on top of NCMA attendance register as full names and details are in front. Do I need to put full names on top of each page too, then?

Rubybubbles
29-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I was told that it was also to do with if a child has an accident after they have left you... for example you are contracted to have child 8am til 5.30pm. Mum picks X up at 5.15pm and has accident at top of road at 5.25pm. If you have signed out child at 5.30pm it contradicts what mum is saying to police and insurance, however if you signed them out at 5.15pm you are OK.

I only put first names on top of NCMA attendance register as full names and details are in front. Do I need to put full names on top of each page too, then?

excatly:thumbsup: this is why we put the 'exact' times they arrive and depart, not hours they should be with us!

I have always written full names to be honest

DudleyChildmind
29-09-2008, 07:10 PM
I only put their first names but it sounds like I need to put their surnames as well.

angeldelight
29-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I only put their first names but it sounds like I need to put their surnames as well.

Yes def put their full name

Angel xx

DudleyChildmind
29-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks Angel I will :thumbsup:

sarah707
29-09-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't know where I read it but I changed mine recently.

Now I put full name and date of birth so there can be no confusion :D

littlegems
30-09-2008, 09:56 AM
so in my attendence record, i put the hours they are actually here, then when do i get the parents to sign? weekly? as theres no space for them to sign daily, sorry to go on about this.

mrsb
30-09-2008, 12:09 PM
so in my attendence record, i put the hours they are actually here, then when do i get the parents to sign? weekly? as theres no space for them to sign daily, sorry to go on about this.

That's the problem I have too:o

jellytot
30-09-2008, 12:15 PM
i photo copy my ncma attendence, will they still be valad do you think?

kiddiwinks
30-09-2008, 12:26 PM

I would put full names as i said i was marked down on it and it was a reccomendation at bottom of my report that had to be done for next inspection.

Prob depends eho you have for inspection, but best to do it.

kiddiwinks
30-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't know where I read it but I changed mine recently.

Now I put full name and date of birth so there can be no confusion :D

I put date of birth also. Think i used bromley attendance then adapted it a little.

jfbsdb
30-09-2008, 12:28 PM
That's the problem I have too:o

This is all getting a little bit confusing - I also use the NCMA Attendance Register and yes it does only have a weekly slot for a parent's signature.

Also I recall reading in another thread recently that you had to put the actual time of arrival and departure, ie to the exact minute. I have always rounded up or down to the nearest 5 minutes and the NCMA Attendance Register clearly states "Approx Time Arrival/Approx Time Departure and the example given in the front of the Register is written that way too.

So do I now get the parent to enter time of arrival and time of departure - but what about the children I take to school - their parents drop them off at my home at 7.30am then I drop them at the school at approx 9.45am but the parent can't sign them out of my care for the school day as they are not there!

Oh what to do!! :confused:

Jean x

jfbsdb
30-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Oops that was meant to read "I drop them off at school at 8.45am"!!!
:o

Jean x

kiddiwinks
30-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Oops that was meant to read "I drop them off at school at 8.45am"!!!
:o

Jean x

you sign them out then in if you pick them up. I was using the ncma when ofsted came and they said exact times also as well as full name

DudleyChildmind
30-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I would put full names as i said i was marked down on it and it was a reccomendation at bottom of my report that had to be done for next inspection.

Prob depends eho you have for inspection, but best to do it.

Thank you, I will :thumbsup:

balloon
30-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I get mine from the local CMA.

They are arranged so that all children are on one sheet and the sheet is weekly. There are enough sheets in the book for up to 8 children 52 weeks a years.

There is nowhere at all for parents to sign which is probably just as well since it would then not be confidential as they would all be able to see what times and dates other little ones came in. But there is a space for parents to sign in the financial records section - something that I have not been doing so must sort that out asap...

I do put exact times and stuff after seeing a thread on here about it just before I started with mindees so really glad I saw that thread.

No idea of that helps or not...

jfbsdb
30-09-2008, 12:51 PM
you sign them out then in if you pick them up. I was using the ncma when ofsted came and they said exact times also as well as full name

Yes that's what I do but I was getting a bit concerned reading all of this as it's not actually the parents signing them in and out during the school run - I know it all sounds very obvious as how could they when they are not here but with all the things being picked up by Ofsted at the moment you just never know anymore!! :rolleyes:

Jean x

sarah707
30-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Daily registration...

Each child needs their own attendance sheet - not shared for confidentiality

Use the child's full name

Date of birth is good practice as this shows at a glance the age of the child at the time.
This is in case of queries or allegations in the future

You must write exact time in and out - not approximate or rounded.
The register is not about your invoicing, it is about keeping children safe

It is good practice to have a clock by the register and either...
ask parents to sign children in and out or ...
let them see you signing their child in and out

If you drop off, look at your watch and fill it in when you get back

It is good practice for parents to sign but not a requirement

Some people get parents to sign as proof of payment at the end of the month

If you have parents who question your timing, get them to fill it in each day

Each sheet can cover a week or a month, it depends on what suits you best

It doesn't matter what the sheet looks like...
It can be photocopied, home made, provided by someone else etc

Keep for 21 years for insurance purposes just in case a 19 year old decides to sue you for something that happened 16 years ago

Hope this helps! :D

littlegems
30-09-2008, 03:01 PM
thank you sarah that has answered all my questions and any more lurking! so the ncma one i have do i really need that one? seems i need to make my own for parents to sign in / out, but as i am with ncma should i use this for something?! feel i should!

mrsb
30-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks Sarah, I'm sticking with my weekly signing one then :D

Saranotts
30-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Daily registration...

Each child needs their own attendance sheet - not shared for confidentiality

Use the child's full name

Date of birth is good practice as this shows at a glance the age of the child at the time.
This is in case of queries or allegations in the future

You must write exact time in and out - not approximate or rounded.
The register is not about your invoicing, it is about keeping children safe

It is good practice to have a clock by the register and either...
ask parents to sign children in and out or ...
let them see you signing their child in and out

If you drop off, look at your watch and fill it in when you get back

It is good practice for parents to sign but not a requirement

Some people get parents to sign as proof of payment at the end of the month

If you have parents who question your timing, get them to fill it in each day

Each sheet can cover a week or a month, it depends on what suits you best

It doesn't matter what the sheet looks like...
It can be photocopied, home made, provided by someone else etc

Keep for 21 years for insurance purposes just in case a 19 year old decides to sue you for something that happened 16 years ago

Hope this helps! :D

Hi Sarah,

Is this your own daily registration procedure or is this from the EYFS book and if so could you please point me in the right direction of it?

As I can't see why we have to have individual attendance records for each child, when playgroup and school can just have a register!

At the moment, I have mine on my laptop on a spreadsheet and have the names down one side and then each block colour coded as to the age of the child and when they come to me and then on that block, I just write the exact times they came and went. Do you think this will suffice? Because if not I am ready to go and sob in a corner. I changed careers thinking, great less policy and procedure writing and instead I am getting bogged down with even more!:panic:

Thanks

Sara

sarah707
30-09-2008, 06:54 PM
The advice is taken from ...

Bits and bobs picked up from Ofsted over the years...

Eyfs...

People's Ofsted reports I've read on their website...

People's comments after inspections...

Common sense...

I'm sorry I can't point you to specific places...

It's just a general knowledge of confidentiality issues which tells me that a child's attendance record needs to be kept in that child's file with anything important that happened in that time period (accidents, incidents, medication, notification from other settings of issues, parents comments of problems etc) for 21 years 6 months for insurance purposes...

And it's not confidential if other parents can read it...!

For example, if there is an incident with another child... we are not allowed to say 'K hit J' we have to say 'J was hit by another child' on an accident report and 'K hit another child' on an incident report.

Now ok, the child might say what happened at home (depending on age) but we can't... so how does that work with the attendance record if parents can see who was with you and when?

Hope that makes sense :D

Saranotts
30-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Phew, that's alright then, I was worried that you had pasted it in from an EYFS document but if it isn't in black and white or carved in stone, I will carry on and argue the point with them if I need to (not that I would want to take on OFSTED:panic: ).

I don't have the confidentiality worry as this is just the attendance register I use and the parents don't see it. Wish I knew how to attach a blank copy of it because, I think its quite good, it has made it so much easier for me, as I can see at a glance, how many children I have at any one time and the age group they are in.

At the weekend my dh had been joking about buying a clocking in machine but I am starting to think that wasn't such a bad idea!

Anyway cheers me dear,

Sara

miffy
30-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I use a weekly attendance record.

All the children are entered on one sheet each day they attend

I sign them in and out as I am responsible for keeping a record of the days and hours the children are with me

Miffy xx

Saranotts
30-09-2008, 09:53 PM
I use a weekly attendance record.

All the children are entered on one sheet each day they attend

I sign them in and out as I am responsible for keeping a record of the days and hours the children are with me

Miffy xx

Cheers Miffy that makes me feel a lot better.

Sara:D