PDA

View Full Version : Being taken for a mug

annepowell
29-09-2008, 04:49 PM
:( After nearly 9 years of minding i've always got on well with and done my best for families and children. Now I have a family who just take me for a mug.... Drop off late, collect late, don't pay on time etc.....

The little girl is claiming 5 sessions of NEF, but Dad has just told me that they want to go down to 2 days and only 3 sessions of NEF next week.

The family were fine in August. I had last this girl from Jan-Aug 08 and then Mum lost her job. I too her back in Sept as Mum got a new job and have been chasing the signed contract since then. So because I have nop signed contract theres nothing I can do. I was more than fair.... taking this girlk back after Mum lost her job... and now I feel like i've just been walked all over.

My husband says to give them invoice for hours done and work until the end of the week? What do you think.... I've signed contract, but parents have it and I've been asking for them to sign. Contract says 4 weeke notice.... can I do this?

Sorry for this... look at my first post... what a massive moan!

On a positive i'm hoping to leave childminding soon as i'm studying to become a primary school teacher, I did love childminding, but this family have really made me feel down!

Pipsqueak
29-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Are you with NCMA? Give them a call for their advice.
On the other hand I think if its affecting you this way - making you feel down and they have been messing you around I think in fairness I would issue a 4 weeks notice period irrespective of signed contracts (keeps yourself covered then as well).

If you don't want to loose them I would suggest calling a formal meeting and telling them contracts have to be signed by xxx date before you agree to any other changes.

xx

devoncm
29-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Oh huni i dont really know what to say.

Someone else had this problem i think a little while ago, maybe you could say when they pick up/drop off that unless contract is signed you will cease to have their child until contract signed and payments up to date, you could also say with imediate effect as there is no contract in place.

hth

RedDragon
30-09-2008, 07:08 AM
If you don't like confrontation (who does?) write everything you need to say in a typed letter.

Tell them exactly how much they owe you.

Give them the number of contracts you need and (in the letter) tell them that you can't continue legally without the contracts being signed and kept in your Setting.

Any time that they go over (extra) add it onto the following week/months invoice.

If you carry on with the way things are then they will lose you and you will lose them so sorting it out NOW is the best thing.

This job is difficult enough without not getting paid on time and feeling undervalued.

YOU be the 1 in charge - it's your business so get that letter typed, re-do the contract - and another thing - if there are any changes you need to make to the contract BEFORE they sign it do it now (and tell them to look at the changes by informing them in the letter).

A fellow Childminder was fed up of people paying late so she added a £5 late fee and uses it - she adds it to the next invoice. She doesn't do it if it's a genuine reason but it's there to help us and stop exactly this happening.

Be strong - we have all had to do things we don't like - but you are in the right - keep thinking that.

Let us know how you get on.

;)

Andrea08
30-09-2008, 10:42 AM
ohhh good luck hun
i would blame Ofsted and tell parents that contracts need to be complete or the children can not attend and give an invoice in an envalope so they can read at home and cool off before coming back to you the next session,

xxx

annepowell
30-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Right, have calmed down (slightly) overnight. :angry:

Thanks for your advice girls. I have printed the invoice for monies owed and invoice for October.

I was going to fill in a new contract, but i'm up to my eyeballs in university work (OU E124 and E230 ECA's due this Friday and next!). I will do that this eve and tell Dad I must have it signed and returned before she is dropped off on Monday. No contract = no childcare!

After a disscussion with my hubby, I will continue to provide care as this girl starts school next Sept anyway.... and will not offer to continue care when she starts school. However, as i've been shafted by these parent(s) if another family were to come along I would consider giving the notice.

That in my opinion seems fair. What do you all think? This is of course providing I have a signed contract in my possession before 9:15 am Monday!