PDA

View Full Version : what toys do I need?

LeeAnn
15-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi there

I am not sure if this is in the right place. I am just in the process of getting registered. Technically am not even on the way, have filled out a few things and am booked on a course.

My mind is whirling with all of the things I will need to get, age appropriate toys etc

I was a registered childminder around 5/6 years ago and did it for only 18 months (had to stop due to circumstances) but I am very aware of how different things are now.

Do I have to have toys available for all ages that I may "potentially" mind for? Or is it ok to have a selection of toys and be willing to add toys for children that come my way? My house isnt huge and if I had to have tons of stuff just in case, we would be swamped.

For instance I have already had an enquiry, the LO is the same age as my girl and is a girl also so I would have plenty for her to play with (if I did in fact end up linding her)

Sorry I am babbling , I know these are things I wont have to think about for a while, I just wish I could tell my brain that! LOL

thanks in advance

x x x x

chubbymummy
15-01-2008, 01:53 PM
when you are just starting out it is hard to know what to buy for the best

my eyo told me not to buy until i knew which age i was having that way you can get more appropriate toys

what i did when ofsted came out for the first visit was have a list of toys that i would buy if i got someone in that age group (a shopping list so to speak)

you can always add too as you continue to childmind other age groups

i hope this makes sense

Mollymop
15-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi Leeann,

I am waiting for OFsted to come round to get me started and I have tubs with labels on for
12 months plus
18 months plus and
3 years plus.

I am not sure if they want you to have toys for all the kiddies, I will have to wait to see what OFsted say, as I am not going to be looking after babies under 12 months, so therefore I haven't worried about getting toys for that age group.

I don't think you need to have everything to hand at first, because when Ofsted come round you can ask them if you need to have so and so, etc.

SOrry I am not much help.
XX

emler
15-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi Lee Ann

When the Care Commission first visit you they will not expect you to have a range of toys to show them. When they came to me the only things I had were my daughters toys!
On that first visit we discussed the toys I would be buying for various age groups and the Care Commission Officer was impressed with that.
When they come to see you initially they will want to have a look around your home and garden to discuss any safety issues with you. I wouldn't think about toys at the moment.
Good luck with it

Emler x

LeeAnn
15-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Thankyou all so much.

Emler - is it just the care commission we work with or are we also inspected by Ofsted?

I have (since panicking and posting this :blush:) been having a good think. I have some baby toys left over from my toddler. I have all of her toys, my son is 9 so I have plenty of older toys, lots of board games, jigsaws, books suitable from birth to 9 - 10 . Lego, duplo, stickle bricks .I will make sure to get in lots of crafts for older kids and will be doing crafys with the little ones.

Safety wise I think we arent too bad here, I have a 22 month old so everything is already toddler proofed and secure.

I know I am getting way ahead of myself :blush: I just couldnt sleep last night with everything going around in my head LOL

I am so glad to have a place to come with all my ridiculous questions thankyou for not laughing at me :thank you:

x x x x

Rubybubbles
15-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I drew up a 'wish list' of toys that I would like to get, remember children do not have to have loads of toys to learn (unlike my house where as I have far too many:laughing: ) but this is what I tell myself to stop me buying more:laughing:

Minnie Minx
15-01-2008, 02:36 PM
also leeann, when you do buy your toys, don't forget charity shops, freecycle and of course your friends and family, for cheap books try your local library when they've got a sale on. The versitile toy is duplo, i was lucky and got mine from a charity shop, about 50 peices for £2.00.

xxx

emler
15-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Don't be daft - they're not ridiculous questions at all. I wish I had found this forum when I was starting out - It would have saved me some sleepless nights.
We are only inspected by the Care Commission in Scotland.
It sounds like you are already one step ahead with all the toys, puzzles etc you have which were your own kids - fab!
If you have any other questions - feel free to ask, you will always get loads of help on here :)

Emler x

emler
15-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Good advice from Theresa there. When I started up and told my friends, family etc that I was going to be Childminding, lots of them kindly donated toys, puzzles, books etc that their kids had grown out of.
I also got loads of stuff in charity shops so don't think you have to go out and buy everything new

Emler x

katickles
15-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Sounds like you have got a good selection already.

I also like others get really cheap books from the library. (10p each bargain if you ask me!!)

Good luck with everything x:so happy: