PDA

View Full Version : I start tomorrow

bubbly
02-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Tomorrow is my very first day as a childminder. I have my first mindee, a month old baby, starting at 8am. Hopefully my numbers will increase after Xmas and the New Year. It's scary and exciting at the same time!

manjay
02-12-2007, 10:59 PM
I wish you loads and loads of luck. I am sure it will be fine although a 1 month old is a bit scary!!! Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Amanda xx

angeldelight
02-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Oh that is lovely

Hope you enjoy it

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Angel xx

kaz1501
03-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Good luck today, Bubbly :)
I am sure you will have a fab day. I can't wait for my first day to come, but got ofsted to face first. At least the ICP is out of the way.
Enjoy your day.

Karen :)

mayberry
03-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Good luck you will be fine :)

Dawn xx

Polly2
03-12-2007, 08:17 AM
hiya

good luck and have a lovely day

hollyx

Chell
03-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Hope its going well so far!

sarah707
03-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Oh good luck!! A month old baby... all little and squishy... hope s/he sleeps a lot for you

Pudding Girl
03-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Hope it goes well, I am so jealous, a wee ickle bubba!!

Spangles
03-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Good luck!

LittleMissSparkles
03-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Hope you have a lovely first day Bubbly with the baby xxx :)

fionamal
03-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Thats great news.

good Luck.

Fiona x

carolinel
03-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Hope your day is going ok bubbly. Let us know how you got on.

deeb66
03-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Good luck - hope all goes well

Dee

loopylu
03-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Good luck Bubbly, hope it goes well - I'm sure it will.

angeldelight
03-12-2007, 06:09 PM
How did it go today was the baby lovely and well behaved ?

Bet you had a lovely day

Angel xx

Hopscotch
03-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Let us know how you got on i'm sure you will have been worrying about it i remember when i first started minding i was not able to sleep the night before as i was so nervous.
Now i'm so tired from running around after the kids i am out like a light now.
Bev X

allykidz
03-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Awww a little baby - hope your first day went well :)
Alison
x

nannan
03-12-2007, 07:25 PM
:) hope your first day went well,

Minnie Minx
03-12-2007, 08:31 PM
congrats on your first day, I hope it went well

xxx

kelly76x
03-12-2007, 09:33 PM
good luck i hope it all goes really well for you x

charleyfarley
03-12-2007, 09:34 PM
How did your first day go with the little one?

I'm sure you were fine, is it full time?

Your numbers will increase so make the most of your time now.

Carol xx

bubbly
03-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your lovely words of encouragement. You've made me feel so welcome here and I'm really pleased to have joined such a nice community :)

Hardly slept a wink last night (as Bev predicted lol). I didn't switch the bedside lamp off until almost 1am 'cos I had so much stuff churning over. It's been quite an emotional journey - finishing my office job on Friday, due to redundancy, and beginning childminding today (Monday). It would've been nice to have had a week in between to adjust but it didn't work out that way.

To be totally honest I was apprehensive at taking on a baby. I wasn't sure how I'd cope or how I'd feel but I guess we all have to start somewhere don't we? Also, my financial situation isn't such that I can pick and choose at the moment. Both my partner and I were made redundant within a month of each other.

Anyways, after much crying, sleeping, feeding, burping, bum changing etc I'm pleased to announce I survived the first day! Fortunately my partner was on hand as a surrogate uncle and he's great with babies.

I'm not quite convinced the parents understand the meaning of 'advance' as opposed to 'arrears'. They were supposed to pay me for one day today and then a week's pay tomorrow (their funding is paid on Tuesdays) but hopefully payment for today AND the following week will materialise tomorrow. If not I'll have to bring up the topic and I hate talking money! I'm amazed how quickly parents 'forget' the terms they agreed to!!

I'm still feeling apprehensive but doesn't everyone when they start something new :)

Bubbly xxx

LittleMissSparkles
04-12-2007, 06:43 AM
well done on your first day Bubbly, the first day for me was the hardest cause your all on your own so to speak but well done you :)

I hope the parent has paid you now ? you need to nip it in the bud straight from the oof or they will no they can get away with it time and time again, it is hard but you need your wages on time as agreed

xxx

lindylou
04-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Good luck i am sure you will be fine
Lindaxx

allykidz
04-12-2007, 08:18 AM
As somebody else has just said, make sure you do get paid on time or they think they will always be able to get away with paying late!!
Hope you get your money today
Alison
x

buildingblocks
04-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I am so envious - a one month old baby - I like babies. Start as you mean to go on and make sure they understand the terms stand as they signed

lov eKate

deb24
04-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Good Luck,hopefully I won't be too far behind you.I have my inspection next Monday.I think my CRB might get held up though what with Xmas so probably won't be able to start till the new year.
Keep us posted how you get on

nannan
04-12-2007, 03:36 PM
well done on surviving your first day, as has been said I hope you can nip in the bud your payment terms, you would think with a baby so young that the parents would want to make a good impression on you, and pay as agreed, not dilly dally from the off, but we all know that parents will try it on. hope you get it sorted out,

bubbly
04-12-2007, 09:55 PM
I spoke to the dad about payment terms this morning and he was very apologetic. He's a thoroughly nice guy and he's been nothing but polite and decent so I really can't fault him on that. The mum phoned later and basically said she can't pay in advance (due to waiting on her tax credit payment), so we hit stalemate. Felt I had little choice but to back down otherwise I would've risked losing my first, and only, mindee. I felt 'negotiations' had gone as far as they could. Anyway, will have to see how it goes and if if doesn't work out there's always the 4 week termination clause lol.

Pauline
04-12-2007, 10:02 PM
I can understand that you want to keep on good terms and 'backed down' but don't let them walk all over you, some will given half a chance!

At least you had a good day with the baby, well done, it's always nice when the first day is over, I think! ;)

bubbly
04-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Had the baby for an hour and a half longer this evening and will do the same again tomorrow. I've decided to give the parents an invoice (that sounds a bit official but you know what I mean lol) next Monday evening with a breakdown of the days/hours I worked. I thought this would prevent any confusion for payment the following day. Do you think that would be a good idea and do most of you do that already?

Spangles
04-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Bubbly

Congratulations on such a good first day!

I always give my parents an invoice - I have a column for the date worked, a column for the hours, an hourly rate column, total number of hours column and total for that day column with the grand total at the bottom and a space for adjustments in the middle (i.e. if I was sick or something). I spell it out to them what I'm charging for so that there can't be any confusion. I give them a copy and keep a copy on their file too.

I also give them a receipt upon payment.

buildingblocks
05-12-2007, 11:57 AM
As you are invoicing them and want paying in advance (and I presume that this is what your contract stated) make sure the first lineof you rinvoice states amount outstanding from last invoice.

My invoice has any extra hours covered in the week previously then the amount owing on theis particular invoice then that is totalled. Then at the bottom of hte invoice it states

invoice total
amount outstanding from previous invoice (or overpayment from last invoice if paretn insists it comes off hte bill)
then Toal invoice amount.

If they query this then tell them that is the amount outstanding as they signed the contract for payment in advance. Allow them to pay x amount a week from the outstanding amount owing

love Kate

LittleMissSparkles
05-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Had the baby for an hour and a half longer this evening and will do the same again tomorrow. I've decided to give the parents an invoice (that sounds a bit official but you know what I mean lol) next Monday evening with a breakdown of the days/hours I worked. I thought this would prevent any confusion for payment the following day. Do you think that would be a good idea and do most of you do that already?

yes I always do parents an invoice saves any confusion of how much and when to pay ....

emmylou
05-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Went to a meeting with Inland revenue last night at college and she said it is very important to keep a written invoice detailing the hours worked and amount charged for.
Not only does it cover you if a parent queries what they have paid for a months or so down the line ( you will have a duplicate copy) but it is important from a tax point of view incase they ever query your tax return, as it also gives detailed evidence of the hours you have worked, should you ever need to prove it.

Hope this helps!

Emma x:)

LittleMissSparkles
05-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Went to a meeting with Inland revenue last night at college and she said it is very important to keep a written invoice detailing the hours worked and amount charged for.
Not only does it cover you if a parent queries what they have paid for a months or so down the line ( you will have a duplicate copy) but it is important from a tax point of view incase they ever query your tax return, as it also gives detailed evidence of the hours you have worked, should you ever need to prove it.

Hope this helps!

Emma x:)

June invited or groupp on the HND to that Emma, I went to the North Lincolnshire Childminders Group meeting instead or we would have met each other ....LOL

xxx

emmylou
05-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Funny That, we would of met at long last!

Kate(building Blocks) also invited me to your North Lincs childminders group meeting Xmas party last night aswell, so we nearly met up either way!

emma x:)

Minnie Minx
05-12-2007, 08:22 PM
congratulations on having a good first day bubbly and remember pauline's advice - be strong and don't let them take the micheal. I hope baby is the first of many new mindees for you

xx

angeldelight
05-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Well done on your first day with the baby

Shame parents did not pay you - give them an inch and they take a mile

Be strong like Pauline suggested

Did they sign a contract with you agreeing that they would pay in advance - did they explain that they would be waiting for tax credits

I had a child start a month ago they had to wait for 2 weeks for their tax credit to be sorted out so if I was you I would not be too understanding after that time limit

Good luck and hope you get it sorted

Angel xx

Banana
05-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Glad you had such a good start with the baby Bubbly!

Babies are lovely :D Enjoy it while it lasts and it turns into a toddler :panic:

xxx

bubbly
14-12-2007, 10:53 PM
I spoke to the dad about payment terms this morning and he was very apologetic. He's a thoroughly nice guy and he's been nothing but polite and decent so I really can't fault him on that. The mum phoned later and basically said she can't pay in advance (due to waiting on her tax credit payment), so we hit stalemate. Felt I had little choice but to back down otherwise I would've risked losing my first, and only, mindee. I felt 'negotiations' had gone as far as they could. Anyway, will have to see how it goes and if if doesn't work out there's always the 4 week termination clause lol.

I'm happy to report I was paid on time and without problems.

I've had the baby's sister with me 3 days this week and she'll be with me a further 2 months. Childminding sure is hard work! Wish I had another toddler she could play with as I've been wrapped head-to-toe in blankets, rolled on the floor and played dollies until I'm all dollied out :laughing:

angeldelight
14-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Great news

Glad you had a good week

Angel xx

berkschick
14-12-2007, 11:22 PM
I am really pleased it is working out so well! Enjoy your peaceful weekend!

Love

Debbie

netty
14-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Pleased to hear it went well. Enjoy your weekend.

Netty xxx:)

Rubybubbles
16-12-2007, 08:25 PM
sorry late -

but well done for getting your first mindie yeah!!

I've always invoiced too!

xEmmax