PDA

View Full Version : feeling really sad!!!

kats
29-09-2008, 10:40 AM
My daughter who is an absolute delight has just left for university, im feeling so sad, i cant believe how upset i have been, is there anyone who has been through this and can tell me it will get easier to not have her here:(
Love Kats xx

LOOPYLISA
29-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Ah bless you, not going through this yet my dd is only 10, but my neighbours dd left friday and i know how she was feeling, easy for me to say but im sure she will hve a fab time, your right to miss her, its such a shame when they grow up and leave home, she will have a ball x:thumbsup:

angeldelight
29-09-2008, 11:00 AM
My daughter who is an absolute delight has just left for university, im feeling so sad, i cant believe how upset i have been, is there anyone who has been through this and can tell me it will get easier to not have her here:(
Love Kats xx

I think whenever a child / adult leave home for the first time for whatever reason it is always an ordeal for a mom

I know what you mean when you say you are really upset - it does sort of get easier but you always worry about them

I am sure she will be fine Kat

Big hugs to you

Angel xx

littletreasures
29-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I went through this last year. Sam went to Uni in Falmouth, about 5 hours away. We spoke on the phone most days even if it was for just a few minutes. She has gone back for her 2nd year now.

It does get easier, the hardest thing I found was I was still cooking for 5, not 4 so had loads of single meals in the freezer!!

I am sure she will enjoy it and it does get better.

angeldelight
29-09-2008, 11:06 AM
I went through this last year. Sam went to Uni in Falmouth, about 5 hours away. We spoke on the phone most days even if it was for just a few minutes. She has gone back for her 2nd year now.

It does get easier, the hardest thing I found was I was still cooking for 5, not 4 so had loads of single meals in the freezer!!

I am sure she will enjoy it and it does get better.

You made me laugh about the cooking bit

I only have my 2 daughters at home now but still even after all this time cook for my 6 children haha

My 2 sons came for tea last week with their partners unexpected - I had enough for them all haha

Angel xx

Twinkles
29-09-2008, 11:15 AM
I've had two go through uni. I remember how hard it was especially with the first one :(
I never did get used to cooking for fewer people.
The best part is when they come home and really appreciate everything you do.
I have to say I'm never happier than when all of mine are under my roof at night.

ps. Both of mine came back home to live when they finished uni and are still here :eek:

Monkey1
29-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Big hugs babe xxx

merry
29-09-2008, 12:01 PM
My daughter has been away at uni for 3 years now and is in her 4th year teacher training and my son is in his 2nd year, though it'll be his 3rd year away as he changed courses after a year. It broke my heart when they left and I cried lots of tears, never in front of them though. They didn't go far, my daughter an hour's drive away, my son 35 minutes, but it felt like the end of the world. It really did feel like I was grieving for them, since they were born they've been my whole world and I thought I'd never get used to them not being here - and yet this summer after they both went back I was fine, you really do get used to it :) I keep in touch with them every day by text and msn, a weekly phone call and write letters and send parcels. The first year they were away I sent a big parcel full of Halloween stuff cos we'd always made a big thing of it at home and they both really appreciated that, same in the run up to Christmas. And remember, they get long holidays at uni, my son gets a month at Easter and Christmas and almost 4 months over Christmas :)

Twinkles
29-09-2008, 12:05 PM
The first year they were away I sent a big parcel full of Halloween stuff cos we'd always made a big thing of it at home and they both really appreciated that, same in the run up to Christmas.

I did that too , I sent an advent calender on Dec 1st and a packet of pancake mix and a jiffy lemon on shrove Tuesday. They loved it !

christine e
29-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi
Oh I do sympathise. My son went off the uni 2 years ago but for the first few weeks came home every other weekend. During his second year he came home about once a month but then went out to Spain for the second half of the year and I have only seen him twice since then, a few days in March and then he came back for about 4 weeks in the summer but I am due to visit him in just over 2 weeks time in Madrid and whilst I am really looking forward to seeing him it will be very painful saying goodbye again. Hang on in there and remember they are having a whale of a time!

Cx

kats
29-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Thankyou everyone it feels better when you get others views especially when they have been through it:) She has no idea im as upset as i am, been talking to her each day and texting and she is having a fantastic time and i just tell her i miss her but i keep it very low key. Its a good idea to focus on the times she will be home, thats what im going to do:)
Love Kats xx

kats
29-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Have a lovely time Christine :) xx

Noodles
29-09-2008, 12:36 PM
My eldest has just started uni but fortunatley for me he has been lucky enough to stay local:) :)

sarah707
29-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Sending hugs xx

ziggy
29-09-2008, 03:38 PM
I am in Ireland, i left my daughter at Coventry university last Monday, flew home on Tuesday, i started crying in the airport and sobbed for hours when i got home. My daughter left me a lovely soft toy and card on my bed and that set me off again.

I then had 4 children to mind on wednesday, 2 on thursday and friday and have also had very busy weekend. My husband died last October so this is the first time in my life I've lived alone, I wish I could turn back the clock but am enjoying my job and the children keep me busy.

There is a big fund raising event planned in Rugby to raise funds for PCUK in October, so i shall see my daughter then and she is planning a trip home for Christmas

Thinking of everyone missing their 'babies' now theyr'e at uni

oh one more thing.......I am ever soooooooooooooo proud of her
sandra
xxx

Mollymop
29-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Oh big hugs! It must be very hard x

Lottie
29-09-2008, 04:01 PM
I haven't gone through Uni yet with my children but my eldest, nearly 13yrs, now takes the bus to school and that's hard with the worry. He also went to Australia with his grandfather for 6 weeks last year. I was crying virtually everyday, I missed him so much. The worst for me was not being in control, that really bothered me.

Just to say your daughter is going to have the time of her life at Uni. I know that doesn't help much but you will always be her Mum whatever happens. ((Big hugs to you and everyone who misses their children)).

mandy moo
30-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Oh kats
I feel for you, as last week (see previous post) No 1 son went on a school trip (hes only just 10) he went monday to fri I was in tears most of the week (mainly because b*!?*!y period arrived) and he only went for a few days.
He enjoyed himself, I think, he hasnt told me much about it and I dont like to push, he tends to clam up if I do, but he did say he missed my cooking!!
Thinking of you
Mandy