PDA

View Full Version : School run with no car...

Bushpig
29-09-2008, 07:39 AM
For those who walk to and fro for school runs... what do you do when it's very windy/bucketing down with rain??? Rain cover goes on buggy, so kids in buggy are fine, but what about walking kids and you???

Pipsqueak
29-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Wrap up warm, rain coats, head down and get there as quick as possible. I try to request very nicely of all the children that we don't do puddle jumping or trailing in the grass on the way to school:rolleyes: (never have their been so many deaf ears!!).
If possible I put wellies on who ever has them here, take a spare change of clothes for the younger ones - older ones just change into pe kit if necessary once in school.

Me I take a deep breath and change once I get home and have a nice cuppa tea:D

sarah707
29-09-2008, 08:28 AM
We got very wet this morning... and had a lovely play in the puddles.

We saw the most amazingly clear rainbow as well.

Parents are great and bring wellies :D

louised
29-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Children who are not in the buggy have waterproofs, wellies and umbrellas if it's not too windy. I have a holder for a golf umbrella that fits any puschair frame so I stay pretty dry and I can fit some of the older children under it too.

Bushpig
29-09-2008, 08:39 AM
That brolly holder sounds great! Where do you get it?

I have 4 under 3s.. this is worrying me most I think - little chests getting ill if weather foul. Off and on buses with them all.

angeldelight
29-09-2008, 08:40 AM
For those who walk to and fro for school runs... what do you do when it's very windy/bucketing down with rain??? Rain cover goes on buggy, so kids in buggy are fine, but what about walking kids and you???

We get wet !

Angel xx

berkschick
29-09-2008, 08:47 AM
We get wet !

Angel xx

As above :D

I have been known to get through 5 sets of clothes in one day when it is very wet and I have several school runs!

In the 10 years I have been doing the school run, I have NEVER taken the car :thumbsup:

crazybones
29-09-2008, 09:03 AM

I have been known to get through 5 sets of clothes in one day when it is very wet and I have several school runs!

In the 10 years I have been doing the school run, I have NEVER taken the car :thumbsup:

Same here. Dont you just love it when you get home, strip everyone off and change them, dry the hall floor and then realise you are still standing there in wet knickers. :rolleyes: Then you settle them down with something so you can leg it upstairs and change quickly. Oh and usually as you do that there is a knock on the door with a parent turned up early.:rolleyes:

I have been looking for all-in-one waterproofs to keep here. These are the cheapest I have found so far.

http://www.clippasafe.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_18&products_id=79

Anyone know anywhere else?

Rubybubbles
29-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Same here. Dont you just love it when you get home, strip everyone off and change them, dry the hall floor and then realise you are still standing there in wet knickers. :rolleyes: Then you settle them down with something so you can leg it upstairs and change quickly. Oh and usually as you do that there is a knock on the door with a parent turned up early.:rolleyes:

I have been looking for all-in-one waterproofs to keep here. These are the cheapest I have found so far.

http://www.clippasafe.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_18&products_id=79

thanks for the link, just what I need fo them to play in the garden when wet too:clapping:

Oh and we just get wet btw:laughing:

Bushpig
29-09-2008, 09:18 AM

Thanks everyone, this has reassured me no end!!! :D

Bushpig
29-09-2008, 09:20 AM

Those splash suits look great! Are they fully waterproof? Do they come in adult sizes? ;)

Saranotts
29-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Wrap up warm, rain coats, head down and get there as quick as possible. I try to request very nicely of all the children that we don't do puddle jumping or trailing in the grass on the way to school:rolleyes: (never have their been so many deaf ears!!).
If possible I put wellies on who ever has them here, take a spare change of clothes for the younger ones - older ones just change into pe kit if necessary once in school.

Me I take a deep breath and change once I get home and have a nice cuppa tea:D

Mmmmmmm the deaf ears......... sounds like my merry band.:laughing:

We walk, we get wet and as above dry off as best as possible.

Question - why does it always seem to wait to rain at 3.29?

Sara;)

Gherkin
29-09-2008, 09:28 AM
We get wet !

Angel xx

Ditto! Some days we get slightly wet, others are just wet and then on those truely awful days we get completly drenched.

Bushpig
29-09-2008, 09:43 AM
I'll just pop armbands on the kids... so we can swim home!!! :laughing:

buildingblocks
03-10-2008, 07:48 PM
We get wet !Angel xx

:ROFL1:
most days the same as Angel but today I sent hubby out in it. I love him being registered in his own right and I am slowly not worrying about him whilst he is out with my babies

charleyfarley
03-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Those splash suits look great! Are they fully waterproof? Do they come in adult sizes? ;)

I got one of those all in one suits for Mitchell, although his was from Mothercare and at £17 it wasn't cheap but it was the best £17 I've spent. He can jump in as many puddles as he wants in that.:jump for joy:

As for that brolly holder I could do with one of them :clapping: My brolly flew out my hand the other day :panic:

Oh and yes we get wet too but hey it's the weekend so no more school runs till Monday :clapping:

Carol xx

tulip0803
03-10-2008, 08:21 PM
I have been collecting waterproof trousers, wellies and coats whenever I see them in carboots or charity shops and am keeping hold of my children's when they outgrow. As we live in Wet Wales waterproofs are essential so all my children (4,11 & 16) have them. I just got a waterproof trousers and jacket new off ebay for £7 + P&P for DD2. I know I cannot rely on the parents bringing things. It also means that we can play in the garden and the park in the rain:D outdoors in all weathers:p

manjay
03-10-2008, 09:18 PM
We get wet too in wet Wales. Unless dh is at home then I send him for the schoolies and I stay at home with the babies!! I have also invested in lots of £2 pairs of jogging bottoms from Primark so everyone always has something dry to change into. My worst nightmare is my glasses:panic: Really need some window wipers on them. Even with a 7 seater it's not very often we will all fit in

Hannahlg
04-10-2008, 05:38 PM
We get wet !

Angel xx

same here there all the little ones bring spare clothes anywheres and becouse parents know we wak eveeywhere there make sure have coats etc in winter

fiona
04-10-2008, 05:46 PM
i keep wellies and wet proofs here, then off we all walk, if its really bad i have a fellow childminder in my street and we take it in turns to leave the smaller ones at home and one of us walk or run the bigger ones to school!!

Bushpig
05-10-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't mind getting wet for a little while, but for a two hour run, no way! :)

I also wear specs... and they get wet... anyone know where I can get specs wipers??? :laughing: