PDA

View Full Version : Do you get attached?

KatrinaW
28-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Do you get attached to your mindees?

I am asking because my mother-in-law thought it strange that I do not "miss" my last mindee, I had him for a year and a half before he has recently started nursery. She said "oh you must miss .." and I said no, to be honest I don't...I do wonder how he is getting on (just out of curiosity) but it doesn't "upset" me that he is no longer here or I miss him being here, I just wasn't attached like that. I can't see myself ever getting attached like that to any child other than my own. I have cared for children 4months - 8yrs and never felt like that about any of them. I like children, I care for children but never feel any kind of bond that would make me miss them IYSWIM.

Cammie Doodle
28-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Oh I get upset when SOME, but not all of my Mindees leave :( , but I was the same when we were Fostering , sometimes I cried for weeks and others it was a relief (Im ashamed to say ) but Hubby says Im only human :)

miss mopple
28-09-2008, 07:26 PM
There are some i am attatched to but tbh once they leave its just a case of on with the next one and business as usual

Lou
28-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I get very attached esp if i have them from very little but then i am an emotional person anyway x

Fairydust
28-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I find after 8 years minding its the mindees I have had since babies and who I have right up until school who I have a close bond with - its far harder to say goodbye especially if you have had them 9-5pm, five days a week they just become part of the family. The last little boy that left I had been minding for nearly 5 years and I cried buckets when he left & so did his Mum! I am now preparing to look after his new baby sisters (yes twins!!) in the Summer. Its not always that way though & I have to be honest sometimes its a relief when some leave for whatever reason!!!

Twinkles
28-09-2008, 08:11 PM
I get very attached esp if i have them from very little but then i am an emotional person anyway x

Same as you Lou I get quite attached :rolleyes:
There is one little girl i've had since she was 6months old. She is now 7yrs and I pick her up from school three times a week for 'peanuts' because I would hate not to see her.
I do miss them when they're not here and when some of them leave i get quite upset.:blush:

Chatterbox Childcare
28-09-2008, 08:57 PM
I do get attached but some have left me after 10 years so it is only natural - he still appears every now and again, especially around tea time!

Rubybubbles
28-09-2008, 09:05 PM
with some I could say bye and nothing else! others I cried for ages, and still get a lump thinking about them:o

I am a soft sap

angeldelight
29-09-2008, 06:42 AM
I get attached to mine and always miss them

I had one little boy for 18mths he was 7 when he came to me and in that time he never spoke more than a dozen words to me.

When he left I did not even notice ha

Think it also depends on the child some are just so lovable and fit in so naturally with your family but other kids do not

Angel xx

merry
29-09-2008, 06:48 AM
I've just had one leave a month ago after 8 years, been with me since 8 months old full time and I was very attached to him, I still miss him dreadfully. I think this is because he's so like my own children and was here so much he felt like one of the family. My own children, both adults now, also bonded closely with him and missed him terribly when they moved away to uni. I have 6 children on my books now, and though I like them all, there's not one I would miss if they left.

:)

Mollymop
29-09-2008, 06:56 AM
I have only been minding for 5 months and I had one leave on Friday who has been with me since I started and I cried, but I am ok now. I had 2 girls from May till Sept and I really liked them, but I don't miss them. I bet I would get upset if I had a child for years though.

balloon
29-09-2008, 07:14 AM
I haven't had any leave yet so cannot comment from that point of view. I do feel quite a bond with the little ones I have though, one of whom I think I would probably miss dreadfully, the other one not so much.

ajs
29-09-2008, 07:14 AM
like most of you i do have kids leave and i think great now onto the next one, they still come up to me in town and i always make a fuss of them but i just do not miss them
i looked after a little boy last year for 18 months i had from 6m he was a really ugly boy with a flat head but he was SO loving and so cheeky that you couldn't help but adore him, i supported his mum through her divorce and subsequent filing bankruptcy at one point she was over £600 in arrears with me but i just couldn't lose him
she on the other hand thought nursery was better for him, she was probably right he was causing me to tear my hair out he was so naughty but i asked her to stay in touch and she has never once called. i know they've moved as i saw gran in town and she told me but i don't know where to and her number now i would love to see him again as i do miss him

i do stay in touch with some though my first ever baby was when i was 19 and she was 18 months she's now 28 and living in new york and my son went to stay with her last year ( her and her sister were also my bridesmaids )