PDA

View Full Version : Conkers

hello kitty
27-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Is it true that if you place conkers around your house it keeps spiders away?

Someone told me this but noone else has ever heard of it. I thought it would be worth a try as I have loads of spiders atm all over my porch, washing line, shrubs, rabbit hutches - you name it there's a spider. :eek:

DudleyChildmind
27-09-2008, 09:18 AM
I've never heard of it before but it might be worth giving it a go if you don't like spiders :)

Let us know if it works?

sammy
27-09-2008, 02:25 PM
i know we have spiders everywhere, also been finding massive house ones too!!!! not sure if conkers keep spiders away though, ive never heard of that, if i had of i would have planted conker trees all around my house!!

All i know of conkers is that they stain my 7 year olds tops orange and it deosnt come out also that they are poisenous!

Pauline
27-09-2008, 02:52 PM
No it doesn't! :(

I heard the same so tried it last year, a massive spider sat right next to the conker!! :laughing:

Had the biggest scare last week - was folding up a rug that the children had been using when one of them said "there a spider on there" trying not to panic as I don't want to share my fear, I carefully put down the rug and casually (haha) walked away.

Later I asked Graham to check if there really was a spider on it and as he unfolded it the biggest thing ever walked out, it was enourmous!! good job I didn't see it at the time, I would have had a heart attack! :panic:

Nicki L
27-09-2008, 04:11 PM
I was told this recently - apparently they hate the smell!!???

Obviuosly it doesnt work though - poor you Pauline, i would have passed out:laughing:

miffy
27-09-2008, 04:18 PM
I've never heard of this before but from what Pauline says it doesn't work anyway!

Miffy xx

LisaH
27-09-2008, 04:20 PM
i have an enormous spider in my bath right now!!!:panic:

Nicki L
27-09-2008, 04:22 PM
i have an enormous spider in my bath right now!!!:panic:

DROWN IT:laughing:

miffy
27-09-2008, 04:28 PM

That's not easy though is it? As soon as you put the water in they run up the side of the bath :laughing: and when you think you've washed them away they crawl back up from the plug hole :eek:

Miffy xx

LisaH
27-09-2008, 04:29 PM

i tried that and it leapt straight back up again!!! Eeeek.

LisaH
27-09-2008, 04:30 PM
and it's too big to fit down the plug hole!!!:laughing:

Pauline
27-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Well you can always give it a try, perhaps my conkers where not so good!!

If you do don't forget to do a risk assessment :laughing::laughing::laughing:

kindredspirits
27-09-2008, 06:34 PM
has anyone tried those electric things that you plug into one plug socket and its a really high sound waves that scares away all insects and pests from your house?? i saw them on telly shopping - the only thing that puts me off is it says you will have increased pest activity for a week or two as they're all trying to escape the noise!!!!!! :panic: something to buy before you go on holiday methinks! :idea:

sue m
27-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Can you not just get it with a big wad of loo paper or something, I hate them but I can do that so long as there's plenty of paper and I don't feel it and then it goes down the loo really quick and is flushed!!!!! :(

singlewiththree
27-09-2008, 07:38 PM
They are HUGE at the moment arent they. I move my ironing off my bed the other day and one crawled out and went under my bed. Now how on earth was I supposed to get to sleep that night! Twice they have crawled up the back of my sofa and I have noticed when they are sat on my shoulder!!!!!!! They obviously are getting childminding tips :laughing:

Paula W

LOOPYLISA
27-09-2008, 07:39 PM
My worst fear are spiders:eek: secondly followed by dentists:eek: ive even been known to run next door and get my neighbour if hubbys not home x:D

Pauline
27-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Can you not just get it with a big wad of loo paper or something, I hate them but I can do that so long as there's plenty of paper and I don't feel it and then it goes down the loo really quick and is flushed!!!!! :(

Wad of loo paper? - I wouldn't get near them with a 20' barge pole! :panic:

I can't even look, let alone go near! :(

Gherkin
27-09-2008, 07:54 PM
My worst fear are spiders:eek: secondly followed by dentists:eek: ive even been known to run next door and get my neighbour if hubbys not home x:D

You're exactly the same as me!!!!!!! When I was dating my dh he was at the other end of the phone when me and a friend who was round my house started to scream at the hugest spider in the world - for the christmas he bought me a spider catcher.

He also held my hand at the dentist when they had to sedate me for a filling:( .

kindredspirits
27-09-2008, 08:01 PM
:panic: last year when dh was away there was a HUGE one - bigger than the telly - well no but it was massive, so massive that when i finally built up the courage to cover it in loo roll and stamp on it with dh's trainers on........ it still got up and ran away!!!!!!! :panic: :angry: I HATE THEM SOOOOOO much, usually i grab a glass and flush them down the loo, but DH goes all buddhist and tells me its a life!

ajs
27-09-2008, 08:08 PM
:eeeek: i hope none of you sleep with your mouths open

LisaH
27-09-2008, 09:02 PM
It's gone now!!!

My son got rid for me, he loves spiders!! Weird child. :laughing:

He couldnt resist waving it in front of my face tho could he!! LOL

Mollymop
27-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I heard this last year, so I placed conkers round my house to keep the creepies away but it doesn't stop them, unfortunately

Mollymop
27-09-2008, 09:11 PM

Oi you! Don't say that, I want to sleep peacefully tonight, thanks :panic: :laughing:

Pauline
28-09-2008, 12:10 PM

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh MANDY!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Pauline
28-09-2008, 12:11 PM
secondly followed by dentists:eek: ive even been known to run next door and get my neighbour if hubbys not home x:D

Surely the dentist isn't THAT scary :laughing::laughing:

kindredspirits
28-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Surely the dentist isn't THAT scary :laughing::laughing:

You haven't seen my dentist!! lol last time i went (admittedly about 5 years ago) they stuck a needle the size of a knitting needle in my gum.... twice!!! :panic: :eek:

MissTinkerbell
28-09-2008, 03:23 PM
has anyone tried those electric things that you plug into one plug socket and its a really high sound waves that scares away all insects and pests from your house?? i saw them on telly shopping - the only thing that puts me off is it says you will have increased pest activity for a week or two as they're all trying to escape the noise!!!!!! :panic: something to buy before you go on holiday methinks! :idea:

My mum has one of these and to start with you get loads as they are all running away. She's had it for 18 months and has not had a spider in the house for about 15 months now.

breezy
28-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Get a cat, mine chases big spiders, catches them, chews them and then leaves them in a soggy mess on the carpet, luckily spiders dont bother me!

crazybones
28-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I was just about to pay at the till in Tesco earlier and as I handed my card to the woman I felt something on the back of my neck. I put my hand to it and picked off a tarantula (well almost). I screamed and flung it at the woman who screamed and banged my dishwasher tabs on it. :laughing: Its in a better place now. :blush:

Dragonfly
28-09-2008, 06:50 PM
This thread has made me laugh so much had to run to the bathroom!!!!!!!!! spiders the size of a telly:laughing: its so funny never thought there was so many of us frightened of them.

And what about the big ones stamp on them and they crunch yuck!:eek:

And my suggestion is for ones in the bath drown them down the plug hole and then never ever take the plug out again!!:clapping: but the really big ones will push it off all bye themselves, sleep well:panic:

Pauline
28-09-2008, 07:22 PM
My mum has one of these and to start with you get loads as they are all running away. She's had it for 18 months and has not had a spider in the house for about 15 months now.

I WANT ONE, I WANT ONE!!! :thumbsup:

Pauline
28-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Get a cat, mine chases big spiders, catches them, chews them and then leaves them in a soggy mess on the carpet, luckily spiders dont bother me!

My cat looks at them and then leaves them to it :(

Pauline
28-09-2008, 07:24 PM
sleep well:panic:

Who do you think you are? Nick Ross :laughing::laughing:

patevans
28-09-2008, 07:25 PM
I was just about to pay at the till in Tesco earlier and as I handed my card to the woman I felt something on the back of my neck. I put my hand to it and picked off a tarantula (well almost). I screamed and flung it at the woman who screamed and banged my dishwasher tabs on it. :laughing: Its in a better place now. :blush:

:laughing: lol lol :laughing:

I am absolutely wetting myself laughing

:laughing: lol lol :laughing:

DudleyChildmind
28-09-2008, 07:31 PM

Did you know it is impossible to drown as spider. I saw this on a TV programme once. Apparently, they don't drown, they just climb back up the plughole :D

patevans
28-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Did you know it is impossible to drown as spider. I saw this on a TV programme once. Apparently, they don't drown, they just climb back up the plughole :D

Oh gr8 and there was me thinking i'd drowned them all!! :angry:

patevans
28-09-2008, 07:35 PM

Oooh I want one!

patevans
28-09-2008, 07:36 PM
No it doesn't! :(

Had the biggest scare last week - was folding up a rug that the children had been using when one of them said "there a spider on there" trying not to panic as I don't want to share my fear, I carefully put down the rug and casually (haha) walked away.

Later I asked Graham to check if there really was a spider on it and as he unfolded it the biggest thing ever walked out, it was enourmous!! good job I didn't see it at the time, I would have had a heart attack! :panic:

I opened my case yesterday to sort out my clothes for my hol and a big fat tarrantula tyoe thing was sat on my sarong!! :eek:

LOOPYLISA
28-09-2008, 08:16 PM
I think one of the funniest times was when dd was eating her breakfast hubby was in the shower, i was in the kitchen when i heard a loud scream MUMMY!!!!! i ran in there was cereal all over the floor and a tarantula (ok a MASSIVE spider, on the floor we both ran in the kitcen and both sat on the worktop untill hubby finished his shower lol:laughing: we were there for ages :D

devoncm
28-09-2008, 09:02 PM
oh how i hate spiders, every time i think of them i see one- im probably going tro see loads after this thread!!!!!

Last week was my nightmare, i went to get the washing in and right on the post next to the line to wind down was a big spider:eek: i did manger to flick it away using a long pole-i had to i didnt want to find it in my washing, then couple days later my dd was having breakfast when she shouted to me theres a massive spider on the wall-usually when she says this its a tiny thing i dont mind getting rid of with lots of tissue- this day it was a big brown one:eek: i stood for about 5 minutes just looking at it thinking what was i going to do as marc was already at work, i had to get a glass and paper and get rid that way then threw it in next doors garden:D

last yr tho i went to run the bath when leaving my room to go for bath i looked up and saw the most biggest spider ever, i had to ring a friend to come round and dispose of it, she was on her way out but came and done it anyway she was shocked at the size of it too-it got stomped on