PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME PLEASE!!! Front Seat with air bags?

katickles
14-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Just a quick one, does anybody know where I stand if I were to use the front passanger seat in my car. Although its only 2 yrs old it didn't come with a key to disable the airbag. Have been in touch with the garage & have been told that they are not allowed to disable them.
I want to know if i am able to use the seat with a front facing carseat otherwise i can probably only fit 2 seats in the back passanger seats.
(I drive a 4WD):confused:

Chell
14-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I phoned Vauxhall to ask if I could have mine disabled, they refused. My Fiat had a key so I could turn them on/off.

Wiggly
14-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm not 100% certain but I did think an airbag had to be disabled to have a child's seat in the front.

I'm sure one of the other ladies will know more.

Wiggly
x

katickles
14-01-2008, 08:50 PM
I know that a rear facing one can't be in the front with an active airbag. Can everybody fit just 2 seats in the back? :rolleyes:

Wiggly
14-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I have a Zafira and I can only fit two seats in the back and two in the very back.

Wiggly
x

berkschick
14-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I have a voyager and it actually says on the sun visor that a child seat must NOT be fitted to the front passanger seat due to the airbag.

carolinel
14-01-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't think you can have any child seat in the front, whether it's rear facing or not.

manjay
14-01-2008, 09:27 PM
This leaflet you can download shows the current law. Unfortunately it says to refer to your individual car manual for info on child seats in the front with airbags.

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/childcarseats/childcarseats.htm

I have a Galaxy and can fit 3 in the back and two more in the very back but if those are all full my dd will sit in her booster in the front. You just have to make sure it is pushed back as far as possible

amanda xx

fionamal
14-01-2008, 09:30 PM
My local vauxhall dealership turned my airbag of for me. If needed I have a booster in the front but thats very rarely needed as I have a zafira with the 7 seats.

mummyspice
14-01-2008, 09:32 PM
As far as I am aware, the minimum age of a child in the front with an airbag is 12. As a mum, I sometimes let my 9 yr old sit there-but would never put a babyseat there without switching off the airbag.
hth Lisa x

Forum Widower
14-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi, this is a problem that many people do not know the correct answer to. I am shortly to become a childminder, joining my wife, but currently work in the insurance industry and i can categorically say you are not supposed to position a frontward or rearward facing car seat in the front passenger seat. And although many car manufacturers allow you to disable the passenger airbag with a key, you must check your insurance policy first. If you are involved in an accident and a front passenger is injured some insurance policies will not cover an insurance claim if you knowingly dissabled the passenger airbag - which makes it a bit pointless being able to turn the thing off in the first place.

Not great news for your problem but i hope this clears things up for you.

Forum Widower :)

manjay
14-01-2008, 09:59 PM
I personally wouldn't disable airbags but the law does state that children can travel in the front in certain circumstances.

amanda xx

deeb66
14-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Thank you Forum Widower

You have said what I would have said but with a little more inside knowledge - iynwim

I would never put a child in the front seat if it had an airbag.

I would not even let my 11 year old son sit in the front seat if there was an airbag.

I would never disable an airbag as it is there to protect the front passenger and you will be disabling a safety device.

Sorry!

katickles
14-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks Forum Widower,

Thats about what I have been trying to explain to my husband, who's point is why do they make cars that enable you to disable them. Was going to ring my insurance company tomorrow for their advice so at least i now know what to expect.:thumbsup:

Really don't want to change my car, not only would it be expensive but I love mine!!!:laughing:

Thanks everybody for your help & advice x

chubbymummy
14-01-2008, 10:31 PM
thanks forum widower it makes sense to me know!

chez1373
15-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Oh my Gosh,
I always have my son in the front seat he is 2!
Ill be putting him in the back from now i did phone and ask my dealer and they said it was fine!!!!!!
He has been in the from from birth!
Thats two years and ive been stopped by the police(routine stop) and they never said anything either!!!
Im worried now

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
15-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Hi

I can turn my airbag on and off which I do. When I had my Ofsted inspection at the end of 2006 and they asked me do I use the front seat I said yes for the 3.5 year old and she said as long as the airbag was not on then they did not have a problem with it.

Just not sure, now I have a 7 seater now so the children do not have to use the front seat but my 8.5 year old daughter does.

I would just check with your insurance company etc and see what they say.

Lorraine xx

katickles
15-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi
Just to let everyone know i have spoken to my insurance company today & they have informed me that my cover would still be valid. If i have the airbag disconnected & i had an accident (not ever wanting that to happen :eek: ) if it can be proven that the airbag could have prevented injury or eased injury it would mean a lesser payout although they said they would still payout.
They are going to put this into writting so that i can show ofsted.

Hopefully if i'm on outings & need the car for transport i will try & plan these around only 2 of the children. Other outings we will walk to, luckily i live within walking distance to our village centre. :D

At least i know where i stand on it now.

manjay
15-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi
Just to let everyone know i have spoken to my insurance company today & they have informed me that my cover would still be valid. If i have the airbag disconnected & i had an accident (not ever wanting that to happen :eek: ) if it can be proven that the airbag could have prevented injury or eased injury it would mean a lesser payout although they said they would still payout.
They are going to put this into writting so that i can show ofsted.

Hopefully if i'm on outings & need the car for transport i will try & plan these around only 2 of the children. Other outings we will walk to, luckily i live within walking distance to our village centre. :D

At least i know where i stand on it now.

Always good to get it from the horses mouth so to speak!

amanda xx

Chell
27-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I've just found this link re car seats, airbags, etc.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/faqs/index.htm

It has some useful information on that page and the rest of the site.

emmadines
27-01-2008, 08:56 PM
This leaflet you can download shows the current law. Unfortunately it says to refer to your individual car manual for info on child seats in the front with airbags.

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/childcarseats/childcarseats.htm

I have a Galaxy and can fit 3 in the back and two more in the very back but if those are all full my dd will sit in her booster in the front. You just have to make sure it is pushed back as far as possible

amanda xx

I have a ford focus and put both my 6 year old and 2 year old in the front! (obvoiusly not at the same time:blush: :laughing: ) I also put the passenger seat as far back as possible!
when I did the "DHC1" (ooo did I put the right letters??) this question was asked and we were told as longs as it wasnt a rear facing one!

hope that helps

Trouble
27-01-2008, 09:06 PM
I HAVE A VW TORAN AND I CAN TRUN MY FRONT AIRBAG OFF but if you have front facing seats not allowed in the front

can i just say to all those people with a zaferia i have just got rid of a 3 year old one and we had problems with ours and some of my friends have MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR OIL VERY OFTERN like every week to two sounds logical but they use a lot of oil (and no we didnt forget to put any in) thats all i will say about it.:panic: :panic:

button68
27-01-2008, 09:16 PM
I have a Honda CRV. I can fit 3 people in the back but NOT 3 car seats :angry: because the middle seat ends up 'sitting on the buckle, iyswim.

Up until 18 months ago I had a Ford Galaxy (wasn't even thinking about being a CM then ). It had a 2.8 engine and with the ever increasing petrol prices and with mr only getting 24 to the gallon :eek: it had to go - shame I loved it :(

Trouble
27-01-2008, 09:21 PM
i love my new car i can fit 5 full seats in the back its one of the best my last car was a vw cabriolet golf not good for childminding but oh i loved it:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :ROFL1:

Pipsqueak
27-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Children under a certain age/height should not be in the front - especially in a rearfacing carseat.

An airbag can cause bad damage to small children. The safest place for any child is in the rear of the car.

flora
14-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Any child under 12 years old should NOT be in the front of a car with an airbag with or without car seats. Air bags are designed for adult passengers and little people are not designed to take the impact at which an airbag is deployed. They cause more injuries than they protect you from. Most newer cars have stickers in the door arch as you open the door telling you not to put kids in the front.
Some care are able to turn them on and off, but I would always play safe and pop them in the back. Know this loses you a seat but what price peace of mind?? :)

son77
14-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately I dont have a big enough car to get all the kids in the back so my 7 year old son always sits in the front (with an air bag).

I did some research a while back re children in front, in car seat, with an air bag, and found it was ok (not rear facing car seat though) and just advised to push chair back as far as poss.

Unfortunately we can't all afford big 7 seaters so I have to make do with what I got.

Sarsar3NCH
14-02-2008, 02:21 PM
If a child is over three they can travel in a middle rear seat with just a seatbelt, obviously this is not ideal but is a possibility if parents are ok with it. Guidelines mentionned above state that this is ok if front seat is also taken but the front seat with child seat is preferable to middle seat with no child seat.

Sarah