PDA

View Full Version : Boiler Breakdown Cover

Cammie Doodle
26-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi All , Just wanted to let you all know that I have had a sales call from "Homeserve" who I have been with for my boiler breakdown , plumbing , and electrical cover for years . Asking me to sign up for a new policy that would cover any visitors to my home, I replied I was already covered with my public liabilty insurance, she then put me on to her line manager who said that if I childmind for more than 2 days per week :rolleyes: they can no longer insure me :angry: They say they have new underwriters who will no longer insure childminders:angry: , I got really angry and asked when were they planning to tell me and when were they going to refund me my monies paid? Well to cut a long story short they are letting my policies run and honor them until they run out, (luckily that's not until next year ), but after these dates I can longer get insurance through them :mad: . So be warned everyone the name is HOMESERVE .
June
Who does everyone else use for boiler breakdown cover ??????

crazybones
26-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Is it just me but why cant they insure your boiler if you are a childminder? Am i missing something because I have had a drink (or two).

shopshelleyd
26-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi

I am with British Gas and they rang me a month of so ago to offer me boiler and radiator cover with them. £16 a month and is supposed to cover all parts and labour and also a yearly service. Supposed to be phoning to arrange service any time. If do as they say they will seems not a bad deal - they didn't ask if I child mind - can't see what difference it would make?

Cammie Doodle
26-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Quote Is it just me but why cant they insure your boiler if you are a childminder? Am i missing something because I have had a drink (or two).
Well Annie I have not had a drink and I can't work it out either, but they say they only cover private residences with no business use

Cammie Doodle
26-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi

I am with British Gas and they rang me a month of so ago to offer me boiler and radiator cover with them. £16 a month and is supposed to cover all parts and labour and also a yearly service. Supposed to be phoning to arrange service any time. If do as they say they will seems not a bad deal - they didn't ask if I child mind - can't see what difference it would make?

Mmm I have heard when British Gas visit they recommend you change this and that to bring it all up to their standards, one of the Parents paid £3000 for new system on BG recommendations as her rads were too old!!!!! Mine still work fine and they were fitted at the same time as her old ones .

jackie_5
26-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi All , Just wanted to let you all know that I have had a sales call from "Homeserve" who I have been with for my boiler breakdown , plumbing , and electrical cover for years . Asking me to sign up for a new policy that would cover any visitors to my home, I replied I was already covered with my public liabilty insurance, she then put me on to her line manager who said that if I childmind for more than 2 days per week :rolleyes: they can no longer insure me :angry: They say they have new underwriters who will no longer insure childminders:angry: , I got really angry and asked when were they planning to tell me and when were they going to refund me my monies paid? Well to cut a long story short they are letting my policies run and honor them until they run out, (luckily that's not until next year ), but after these dates I can longer get insurance through them :mad: . So be warned everyone the name is HOMESERVE .
June

I think it might be as regards to the plumbing, because I went to renew cover with three valleys to cover any pipes in your driveway etc, and on the mention of being a childminder I was told their underwriters would not cover me. What have pipes in the driveway got to do with childminding, wait for it.... because you are looking after children, its wear and tear on the pipes, and the toilet is being flushed more !!!! I commented that someone could have a family of 6, I could be a family of 4 looking after 2 children, and we would be the ones that would't be able to get insurance cover, she commented that they now will not cover for familys of 6 or more, and also a mechanic working from home would no longer be covered..... so wear and tear on pipes that was there answer !!!!

crazybones
26-09-2008, 09:00 PM
I think the world is conspiring against us childminders. :panic:

Cammie Doodle
26-09-2008, 09:03 PM
It's a nightmare is'nt it ? I had troubles a few years ago re contents cover, as most companies would cover me as long as there was no more than 4 children in my care at anyone time :rolleyes: Now with Zurich they dont seem to have any prob with childminders at all (well as far as I know lol)

crazybones
26-09-2008, 09:04 PM
I think it might be as regards to the plumbing, because I went to renew cover with three valleys to cover any pipes in your driveway etc, and on the mention of being a childminder I was told their underwriters would not cover me. What have pipes in the driveway got to do with childminding, wait for it.... because you are looking after children, its wear and tear on the pipes, and the toilet is being flushed more !!!! I commented that someone could have a family of 6, I could be a family of 4 looking after 2 children, and we would be the ones that would't be able to get insurance cover, she commented that they now will not cover for familys of 6 or more, and also a mechanic working from home would no longer be covered..... so wear and tear on pipes that was there answer !!!!

OK so I have 3 babies none of which are trained so dont use the toilet. I have one other mindee who is here for a couple of hours and might do 1 wee per day - how do they monitor that? Madness!

littletreasures
26-09-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm with British Gas and have been for ages. Not had any trouble with them wanting me to change various things.

They have been very helpful as well. I phoned them this morning to arrange to have my annual service on my boiler and said could they do it around school runs. They replied that they do a family service where it will be between 10-12 rather than 8-1!!

Can't understand Homeserve. You could have 3 children of your own under school age and not work, so therefore you would be at home flushing the toilet more!!!

ruby
26-09-2008, 09:08 PM
i have mine with swlec as the do both my gas and electric

never had any problems actually they are coming on Tuesday to do it

cathy

Cammie Doodle
26-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm with British Gas and have been for ages. Not had any trouble with them wanting me to change various things.

They have been very helpful as well. I phoned them this morning to arrange to have my annual service on my boiler and said could they do it around school runs. They replied that they do a family service where it will be between 10-12 rather than 8-1!!

Can't understand Homeserve. You could have 3 children of your own under school age and not work, so therefore you would be at home flushing the toilet more!!!

That's good to know maybe Parent was easily talked round to changing heating system lol. Maybe I will renew with BG next year, do you have your Gas with them too Littletreasures?
I was so mad with Homeserve today its a wonder they did not cancel my cover immediatly lol. But Hubby said they knew they were in the wrong for not informing me of the changes

Cammie Doodle
26-09-2008, 09:10 PM
i have mine with swlec as the do both my gas and electric

never had any problems actually they are coming on Tuesday to do it

cathy

Ah Cathy, but do they know you are a Minder ?????

crazybones
26-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Dont really know why I am moaning because I dont pay for any of those insurances - William's godfather is a plumber so he just comes out when I tell him and doesnt charge me for anything other than parts :blush: But it is still madness!

littletreasures
26-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Maybe I will renew with BG next year, do you have your Gas with them too Littletreasures?

Yes, we do and Electricity with Seeboard.

Hubby won't change to put them together. He would prefer to pay a bit more to leave them as they are. Perhaps he's right.

Cammie Doodle
26-09-2008, 09:15 PM
He Could be right , now I need to shop around for new cover for next year:angry:

Cammie Doodle
26-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Dont really know why I am moaning because I dont pay for any of those insurances - William's godfather is a plumber so he just comes out when I tell him and doesnt charge me for anything other than parts :blush: But it is still madness!

our neighbour is a plumber too, and does our plumbing for us, but I got boiler cover because I was minding and wanted any breakdowns done asap, so babies are kept nice and warm. The world has gone mad Im sure

LOOPYLISA
26-09-2008, 09:24 PM
If there is a problem with my heating i just go downstairs and call hubby -hes a corgi registered heating engineer! :clapping:

Cammie Doodle
26-09-2008, 09:35 PM
If there is a problem with my heating i just go downstairs and call hubby -hes a corgi registered heating engineer! :clapping:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Mine is Father Christmas ,( but thats a secret) ;)

ruby
26-09-2008, 09:37 PM
yes i told them when i changed

cathy

Cammie Doodle
26-09-2008, 09:44 PM
yes i told them when i changed

cathy

That's good maybe when I change suppliers I should ask if they will cover minders and choose them :idea:

Cammie Doodle
06-10-2008, 04:01 PM
June

Update on the above
I have been trying to find new cover for heating etc:rolleyes:
Thought I would try my Power Supplier spent ages being passed from one to another, but bottom line is Npower is covered by Homeserve who will NOT cover childminders :angry: I have had it now Can anyone help???????

samgeordie
09-10-2008, 09:23 AM
i don't have cover having just moved last year but im currently looking for someone to service my boiler and cover but just don't know who to trust and the cost worries me too. I'd be interested to hear who covers childminders or maybe I would be better just getting my boiler serviced by a local plumber annually and hope nothing happens to it.

sarah707
09-10-2008, 10:05 AM
i don't have cover having just moved last year but im currently looking for someone to service my boiler and cover but just don't know who to trust and the cost worries me too. I'd be interested to hear who covers childminders or maybe I would be better just getting my boiler serviced by a local plumber annually and hope nothing happens to it.

I pay £20 a month to British Gas.

http://www.britishgasboiler.com/british-gas-products.htm?ref=Brand+Generic

It's about peace of mind really.

Last time my boiler broke it cost me over £400 to get it fixed and took nearly 3 weeks. :(

Cammie Doodle
20-10-2008, 09:37 PM
God how confusing is that Sarah ? British Gas use Home Serve to service and repair boilers :rolleyes: They are the company who wont insure me as Im a Childminder Oh my brain hurts

wendywu
20-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Im with British gas. Dont think they have ever asked me what i do for a living.:)

Monkey1
21-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Im with British gas. Dont think they have ever asked me what i do for a living.:)

Mine neither. Think it's one of those times to keep stum!

Cammie Doodle
21-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Mmm makes you wonder, but would worry I would get caught . :(

Cammie Doodle
28-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Well Girls and Boys British Gas have come up trumps, they have covered my boiler (after inspecting it) so Im a happy Bunny:clapping: :clapping: They also cover plumbing, electrics and heating if required. They dont seem to have a prob with us Childminders:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Thanks for all your help in this matter

June