PDA

View Full Version : english as a second language?

kindredspirits
25-09-2008, 09:39 PM
i'm really nervous - i had a woman ring earlier on who i presume is Indian, she's definately from that area of the world anyway - shes coming tomorrow with her 2 under 4's (which would really boost my income!!) I just find myself subconciously dumbing down what i say as i worry they don't understand me, its just the accent, she obviously speaks perfect english as shes a dr about to start work in the local hospital. :rolleyes: i know its really silly but does anyone else care for children whose first language is not english? is there anything i need to do specifically apart from make them feel comfortable and try to let the express themselves in their own language?

angeldelight
25-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I care for children who are Indian

They have been with me for over a year now - I was a little nervous at first

But I did not make a big thing of it and treated them the same as any other parent
I just asked them if they would write down a list of foods for me that the children like

I then chatted away about them and asked had they always lived in England - im chatty anyway and just ask lots of questions so thats what I would do if I were you

It will make her feel more comfortable and most parents love to chat about themselves anyway

The children were slighty different because they could at that time only speak a few words of English - I just pointed to toys or held a book up and said something like " would you like to look at the book " they nodded their head
Always easier to show someone something who does not understand you rather than try to explain it

Good luck im sure you will be fine

Let us know how it goes

Angel xx

kindredspirits
25-09-2008, 09:59 PM
thanks angel, i read my post back and thought i sounded an idiot so its nice to know i'm not the only one whos nervous!! ;)
i'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!!

anna x

angeldelight
25-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh no Anna its not silly to be nervous

I felt a little out of my depth when the parent started speaking to her children in her language I did not have a clue what they were saying to each other

So I asked her ha

She just told me that she had explained that I was the childminder and that they might be coming every day to play here

If you are unsure of anything just ask her - it does not mean you are stupid or anything - just ask her lots of questions she will be glad that you do

Good luck

Angel xx

kindredspirits
25-09-2008, 10:19 PM
:o thank you!! at least one of the kids is 1 1/2 so won't be talking either, i'm hoping george will play nicely thats always a sweetner!! ;)

miffy
26-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Good luck Anna - hope it all goes well for you today

Miffy xx

gailee
26-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Well i have 2 polish children and hopefully a 3rd starting soon The parents of the children speak good english to get by. But its good for the children to learn English ready for school.Thats why they chose english childminder (me):D
Gailx

ps good luck! relax