PDA

View Full Version : Cats/kittens and minding- a good mix or not?

miss mopple
25-09-2008, 04:48 PM
We used to have cats but as our last on was put down as I was starting minding we never got anymore as it didnt seem practical. That and the fact that DH wasn't really keen on them anyway- he just humoured me as I liked them :D

Anyway, we are now coming under some pressure from our own kids to get a cat and we can't decided if its a good idea or not.

I love cats and would happily have another, but I am wondering how fair on the cat it would be as this is a hectic house at the best of times (I have 10 mindeeson the books as well as my 2 so its always chaotic!).

The practicalities concern me a bit too as I have nowhere really that I could have a litter tray away from the mindees, and I wouldnt want them using the garden as a loo :o

I don't want to shoot the whole idea down in flames as I think its important for kids to have pets (we already have guinea pigs), but I dont want to make a decision we'll regret either, and I certainly dont want to do anything that could distress an animal (like being exposed to my rowdy lot :laughing: )

So if any of you could share your experiences of mixing pussies and minding that would be great :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
25-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi we have three cats and im not minding yet although i have my neice and theres my dd and hubbys 2 weekends, one is very old and we ALL know when shes had enough by her face one only comes home every 2 weeks not sure thats because of the noise!, and my baby pussy Smudge he seems to be a bit of a grump when my neice is here so that worrys me a little but he does dissapear upstairs or next door! and she has had the odd scratch, when Smudge was a kitten we had a litter tray and just kept it out the way in the kitchen and we have a stairgate so she couldnt get to it anyway, so that may be an idea hth x:thumbsup:

miss mopple
25-09-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure about what Ofsted would make of a litter try in the kitchen. Or environmental health come to think of it.

Hmmmn, I suppose I could put one in DH's office upstairs- thats where he hides when I am working, maybe he'd like some pussy cat company up there :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
25-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm not sure about what Ofsted would make of a litter try in the kitchen. Or environmental health come to think of it.

Hmmmn, I suppose I could put one in DH's office upstairs- thats where he hides when I am working, maybe he'd like some pussy cat company up there :laughing:

No thinking of it i had no minded children here at the time

littlesprogs
25-09-2008, 05:20 PM
why dont you get a cat that is old enough to go outside then you would only need a littler tray for the first few weeks until he/she can go outside. Cats dont go to the toilet in their own gardens.

tulip0803
25-09-2008, 05:43 PM
why dont you get a cat that is old enough to go outside then you would only need a littler tray for the first few weeks until he/she can go outside. Cats dont go to the toilet in their own gardens.

Can you have a word with my one I don't think she has heard of this:D

littlesprogs
25-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Ok most cats dont go in their own garden! I've had cats all my life and none of them have ever gone in my garden. Cats like to keep their own area clean.

Maybe your cat likes you to clean up after him tulip :laughing:

charlie28
25-09-2008, 06:03 PM
hi

i have 2 cats from being kittens, i mind 11 hours a day. my cats are great they are in and out all day.the children know when not to touch the cats.
charlotte

CCJD
25-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Over my 9 years of minding I have had two children with eczema and two with asthma non of whom could have coped with cat hair- as two of these children have now spanned the entire 9 years that is alot of income I would have missed out on. In this area these two conditions seem ever more common and only you can say how competitive you need to be in your area. That said, whilst they do benefit loads from us childminding, our kids have to compromise alot and only you can decide where the line between family wishes and business needs lie. On the health and safety front , i am sure plenty of childminders find an acceptable solution to litter tray issues. Good luck in your decision making.

berkschick
25-09-2008, 07:06 PM
I have 4 kids of my own, 8 on my books and 8 cats!

Yes, I am mad! But they are all lovely and very good with the kids. The cats that dont like kids disappear upstairs during the day.

My cats do use my garden as a toilet though but only one area so its easy to clean up / shut off.

I have had enquiries that I havent come to anything because of the cats but to be honest it hasnt mattered as there was always someone else around the corner who didnt mind them to take their place.

Annie_T
25-09-2008, 07:14 PM
i have a cat and pre reg inspector was fine bout it, just asked if food and litter tray were to stay uppstairs out way of mindees ... which is a yea i dont want mindee eating cat food littere ewww or cat being grabbed when eating lol x

tulip0803
25-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Ok most cats dont go in their own garden! I've had cats all my life and none of them have ever gone in my garden. Cats like to keep their own area clean.

Maybe your cat likes you to clean up after him tulip :laughing:

She likes my flower bed :D . Perhaps she is copying the dog?:laughing:

tulip0803
25-09-2008, 07:46 PM
i have a cat and pre reg inspector was fine bout it, just asked if food and litter tray were to stay uppstairs out way of mindees ... which is a yea i dont want mindee eating cat food littere ewww or cat being grabbed when eating lol x

I was pleased the CSSIW inspector liked cats as mine decided she wanted to sit on her lap:laughing: . I kept taking her out and she kept coming back:D

littletreasures
25-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I have got two cats and two dogs. On Saturday I collected another two kittens. They are 7 weeks old. At the moment I have them in my dining room. I have a litter tray with a hood which I wasn't sure if they would use, but they do!! I thought this would stop the temptation for little hands.

I have sat the kids down and talked to them. They are not allowed to open the dining room door at all!!! They do not see the kittens in the morning as it is too hectic and they are only here for 15 minutes before we have to do the school run.

They can see them in the afternoon, but are NOT allowed to pick them up. If they are sitting on the floor and a kitten comes and sits/lies on their lap, that's fine.

I have a 2 1/2 yr old, 6 yr and 8 year olds at the moment. They are very good and are doing as they are told. I have told them if they do not, they won't get to see the kittens. Harsh may be, but it seems to be working and I don't want any harm to come to the animals. The kids love watching the kittens race around the room chasing each other and even the 2 1/2 year old is very gentle and caring and is learning about the welfare of animals. As he is in the house during the day, I involve him with feeding them and making sure they have fresh water. He loves putting their food down for them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Donkey
26-09-2008, 12:34 PM
I have cat and his litter tray has just been relocated to my bedroom along with his food and water bowls...

fun!!!