PDA

View Full Version : Settling sessions - DO YOU CHARGE?

Gherkin
25-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Normally I will do 2 - 4 hours and not charge but I have a family who seem to want the 2 - 4 hours and then some 1/2 days as well and to be honest I feel I should be charging them as this could be quite a bit of time. What do you do and what do you think?

Blaze
25-09-2008, 02:06 PM
I charge ...FULL STOP! Used to give 2-4 hours for free, but then stopped as was taken advantage off!:rolleyes: :angry:

Gherkin
25-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks Blaze - I am going to pop it on the invoice then.

Bushpig
25-09-2008, 02:38 PM
When I started minding I did not charge... but then 2 parents took advantage... and a 2 hour settling in session became 5 hours (FREE!!:eek: ).. eating all my food, and messing up my planned day etc. This happened a couple of times and then I started charging for settling in times.

I have settling in times that last to a full (10 hour!) day too.. usually the last settling in day, so there's no way I would not charge for this.

Many (most) parents do not take advantage, unfortunately it's the few that taint the rest and so stricter payment policies have to be in place to cover ourselves.

jellytot
25-09-2008, 02:42 PM
i have just done some settling in sessions un-paid as per normal. this WILL be changing, baby was such hard work and my other mindees where so good while we all did our best to ignore his screaming.

in future i wont be offering free settling in times.

michellethegooner
25-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I dont charge for anything upto two hrs 3x wk but anything more and I pop it on invoice, basically because some parents are skint flints and not all want to pay for settling in therefore making mine,other mindees and the child first couple of wks distressing. so now at least the children whose parents dont want to pay will still be familiar with me and b less stressed luckily most of them at the moment are great and were happy to pay for longer settling in sessions as they know the importance of it (they all teachers)!!

katickles
25-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I charge - I actually use the settling in period in my contract as the settling in sessions as so far all but one have been to start straight away :rolleyes:

Mrs.L.C
25-09-2008, 04:06 PM
I offer 1 hour free trial then charged after that. Parents are welcome to make a few visits before child starts as long as it doesnt mess up the routines/plans

samgeordie
25-09-2008, 04:19 PM
i offer 2 settling in sessions of 2hrs each for free, maybe you could do something like that and state anytime after that will be charged for at the usual rate.

crazybones
25-09-2008, 04:20 PM
i offer 2 settling in sessions of 2hrs each for free, maybe you could do something like that and state anytime after that will be charged for at the usual rate.

I do the same. :thumbsup:

manjay
25-09-2008, 04:25 PM
I do the same. :thumbsup:

Me too!!!!!

miffy
25-09-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't charge - they are for my benefit as much as the child so I know them as well as possible before they come and they have to fit the times in to suit me.

Maybe I'm soft but I've always done it that way

Miffy xx

tomthumb
25-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I do 2 2hours free session and after that charge. Parents are quite happy to pay if they feel their little ones need more.

Elodie X

charleyfarley
25-09-2008, 05:01 PM

That's exactly what I do.

Carol xx

mum22
25-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I put in my parent pack that I charge half fee for x 2 settling in sessions max 2 hours each.

Rubybubbles
25-09-2008, 06:56 PM

this is what I do too, and as miffy says, it's just as much for you as the parents

Pudding Girl
25-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I offer two settling visits of around 1-2 hours but if they want more, I would charge.

wendywu
25-09-2008, 07:39 PM
I am like Blaze i charge.:)

twise
25-09-2008, 07:41 PM
i do 2X 2hour session free. I make sure that one session covers a lunch time so i can see how they eat etc

Tracy

marian
25-09-2008, 08:51 PM
I do a couple of hours x1, for a freebie then a 4 hour session including a lunch at 1/2 fee( or else the four hours turn into six hours etc)
I have had no problems so far with this.
Marian

ChocolateChip
25-09-2008, 08:58 PM
For little ones I invite them with parents first so they can have a play if they want while we chat about things, then a free 2hr session before they start.
With older ones I might stretch this a bit and have them back for tea after school, but tbh most are my kids friends so have been before anyway!
The settling in period in your contract should give each side long enough to decide if it's going to work or not, mine is 4 weeks.

roseybev
25-09-2008, 11:16 PM
i agree with you the first 2 visit are free anything after that i would charge put this in you hand book so parents can read it and stops you being put in the situation having to ask.tell me how you got on.:)

littlestar
25-09-2008, 11:23 PM
ive never had a problem with my settling in period i do 2 1hrs once a week with parent present then on third week tell them to go for half an hour and then come back then on fourth week i do an hour usually lunch and then they start never charge

LittleStars
26-09-2008, 08:35 AM
I charge for settling sessions but by the hour...where as for normal minding I charge per day or half day.

Im happy for the parents to come for a few playdates and stay with the children beforehand which I of course don't charge for.

I found people just take the mickey if I don't charge.