PDA

View Full Version : Just another quicky!

Helpinghands
25-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I understand that our front door must be locked so little ones don't escape but dosn't this pose a risk when it comes to fire and getting out quick!!

My front door dosn't open fom the outside so intruders isn't a problem. I'm just concerned encase one day I may forget to hang up the key near the door and there's a fire!

Also, does everyone else allow their dogs in the kitchen when you are minding? I don't if we are cooking or eating, but his water bowl is in there.

I was told last night that you will not be graded outstanding if you have a dog!?

Chatterbox Childcare
25-09-2008, 01:19 PM
I have to lock mine otherwise there is access from inside and out but I leave the key in the door.

If yours closes and can only be accessed from inside why does it need locking?

Helpinghands
25-09-2008, 01:26 PM
I have to lock mine otherwise there is access from inside and out but I leave the key in the door.

If yours closes and can only be accessed from inside why does it need locking?

Thats what I have been told I have to do so they dont escape. I'd be much happier if I didn't enscase of an emergency!

Thanks

Jules27
25-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I am sure there are ladies on here with a dog and Outstanding grading???????? Surely???? :panic: :panic: :panic:

jellytot
25-09-2008, 01:41 PM
i was told by inspector ( was 3yrs ago) that my door must be locked to avoid kids escaping, i mentioned the fire issue and she said i shud either have a hook high up with key on it or keep keys in my pocket. i still didnt agree because i feel if there was afire as calm as i may be i would still be a bit shook up and fumbling with keys could hold us up.

when she came bk i had blue tacked key by door and did all i could to get her to look, she cudn of been less interested!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helpinghands
25-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Thats a joke!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this view! Like all inspectors..they are never in our situation so can't look at it at a practical point of view! mmmmm..what to do

Tatia
25-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I have a dead bolt way up high that the children can't reach. This just slides across and can easily be slid back in case of emergency exit. My door cannot be opened from outside except with key but I have a few little monkeys who make a habit of trying to answer the door when they seem Mummy's car from the window so it is essential I keep bolt in place.

Which is a pain for hubby and older kids cos they have to buzz to be let in. Pain for me, too, when I'm busy, come to think of it.:rolleyes:

emmadines
25-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Ive got one of those door chanes on my door. as for the dog if they knock your grading down due to having pets then thats wrong as having an animal in ur house has nothing to do with how good or bad your setting is.

Im sure as longs as theres goos hygene practice whats the problem???

Blaze
25-09-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm positive there are members on here who have been graded outstanding & have dogs!

Bushpig
25-09-2008, 03:32 PM
I don't have a dog, so cannot comment for definate - I doubt this makes a difference to one's grading though... no childminders would have animals!

cherry
25-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I have a dog and was graded outstanding, as long as you show that you are being sensible with where you allow your dog to go and eat there should be no problems.

Also do a risk assesment re. checking the garden for mess.

Ripeberry
25-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I've always been a bit paranoid about our front door.
It's the type that locks itself, so if you're outside and the wind blows the door shut you are in trouble:panic:
What i do is keep a keysafe on the outside wall so if that happens i can let myself back in.
Also i ALWAYS keep keys on me on a chain...makes me feel like a jailer :laughing: .
But i feel happier having them on my person as my daughter has been known to get a chair and climb up and get keys!

emmadines
25-09-2008, 04:49 PM
yes kids can be crafty!!! :laughing:

Rubybubbles
25-09-2008, 05:10 PM
I have ALWAYS locked my door even when not childminding:panic:

I have a hook just inside which they all go on and got a big tick in the box for this, all the children no not to touch them (still work in progress with new 8 yr old!! when door rings, but I AM THE ONLY ONE hehe who opens the door, unless hubby home which is never!) as for emergancy get out's never had any problem with this and for my NVQ 3 the assessor commented on how leaving your keys inside the locks is like say here open it, I agree (ducks for cover)

as for dogs!! tough, if he gets me a good and not an outstanding I couldn't care less TBH, my house looks like a nursery already and if they don't like it they can lump it lol

sorry off my soap box now

Alibali
25-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Up here we have to have a doors secured without locking with a key for the fire safety issue. I have a chain on one door and a high up bolt on the other two-easy escape in an emergency, but the kids can't reach them.

roseybev
25-09-2008, 11:04 PM
ok i have 2 dogs and 2 cats and was told that all dishes are not out in the kitchen when mindinding .my small dog is in the house during the day but ive to never leave her alone with the kids .my other dog is outside all day and the kids are kept away.ive also had to get polices on animals.with the door it needs to be locked no matter if we think it is not safe i always worry that something happens to me and noone can get in.

SimplyLucy
26-09-2008, 06:08 AM
I had a noisy yappy puppy at my inspection and still got an outstanding!

My puppy even did a wee right by the inspectors feet, I think she got over excited that we had a visitor. I cleaned it up quickly, anti-bac-ed the floor, dryed it properly, washed my hands then used anti-bac gel. The inspector never batted an eyelid.

Oh and for the front door, I have a little bolt high up as I refuse to lock the door with a key, that would just be plan dangerous.

singlewiththree
26-09-2008, 06:18 AM
This has been a really interesting thread for me as I'm trying to decide which way to do it.

I have ALWAYS left my doors unlocked and basically my friends call round and just walk in and say hello. Obviously I'm trying to now train my friends and my children that the door is locked and they now have to knock. I have got an extra set of keys cut and have kept one in the back door and one in the front however my 3yr old has learnt how to turn the key and I have found her on my drive twice. Funnily enough when the key wasnt in it and the door was unlocked she didnt bother :rolleyes:

I thought of a hook and then changed my mind as I might forget about it and leave it there at night and its easy access for a burgular to unhook it and use it. I think considered the bolt but seeing as I'm only 5ft 2 it would have to be quite low for me to be able to open the door. Then the keeping keys on me would work if I had only the front and back door on there and no very large teddy keyrings like I have now so I can find my keys easily in my bag :laughing:

Paula W

Helpinghands
26-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all your replies so far...

I am still not sure of the rule about dogs being allowed in the kitchen when minding. I have a small house, and other than the kitchen/front room, theres nowhere else for him to go!?

As long as I evidence that I am following hygiene procedures and not allowing him to be around when their eating...this must be ok right?

as for the puppy peeing infront of the inspector LMAO :laughing: thats hilarious!! x