PDA

View Full Version : Silly question

Tatia
24-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Not sure anyone will have a clue what to tell me but thought I'd ask anyway cos I'm excited.:D

My network co was here today, looking over my SEF and helping me prepare for OFSTED (not that I've had the call but betterr sooner than later). In my SEF (as well as some coursework I have done recently) I have identified that my outdoor area really needs beefing up. It's a lovely, big garden but it's not conducive to free-flow as it's your standard 3 bed semi Victorian so the back door is behind the kitchen which means I cannot allow the little ones to go outside unless I go too to supervise them. This very much means that the garden is not really a part of the setting necassarily but rather, an activity in and of itself and I want it to be more free-flowing, like an outdoor room, really.

My husband and I have always thought about turning the dining room window into a french door that would then step onto a patio area on the side of the house. I mentioned it to network co and she was full of fantasttic ideas, like that patio area could then be gated off into a dedicated play area and the children could then come and go inside and out because it would be fenced and safe and also, I could monitor them more easily if 1 child stayed inside because we spend most of our day in the dining room anyway, as it's also the playroom.

What I was wondering is, does anyone even have a clue what it would cost to have the window replaced with a door? I just wondered if anyone has had anything similar done before. I'm going to ask round for reccomendations for builders to come and give mean estimate probably next week (esp if I find out I can apply for grant money for it).

miffy
24-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Sorry can't help you with the costing Tatia but it sounds a fab idea

I'm really jealous - hope you get some funding too

Miffy xx

crazybones
24-09-2008, 04:59 PM
We had the window taken out and a patio door put in, but you are talking 10 years ago and it was £1000.

sparky
24-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Sorry, I havent a clue but thought I would reply to say how exciting your ideas sound :clapping: Good luck with it all

Bushpig
24-09-2008, 05:14 PM
What a great idea - and it would add value to your home too :)

shopshelleyd
24-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi - just asked my husband who is a joiner but also fits windows and he says as a rough estimate he reckons about £1,500 - £2,000 but obviously depends on quality of door used and workmanship etc etc. I have patio doors out of my playroom and they are really useful. Only thing I would say is I don't have a window as well so either have to open doors or room is really stuffy. Don't always want doors open in winter or if you have a crawling baby or toddler .... just a thought. :)

manjay
24-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Could send my dh down to do it for you!! I really don't mind how long you keep him:laughing:

He did ours a couple of years ago and although I didn't have to pay for labour the doors were about £1200. So I would say it really would depend on what doors you choose.

Good luck with getting some decent quotes

balloon
25-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Only thing I would say is I don't have a window as well so either have to open doors or room is really stuffy. Don't always want doors open in winter or if you have a crawling baby or toddler .... just a thought. :)

I have patio doors leading off my lounge. We do have a window too but I rarely use it because opening the door is so much easier. When I set up to childmind I bought a Baby Dan hexagonal playpen which can also double as a room divider etc (they sell similar in argos). We have it fitted across the length of the glass doors to prevent toddlers running into the glass, it has a gate fitted in it too so doubles as an extra long safety gate preventing little ones unauthorised access to the garden but letting in lots of fresh air. Maybe this would work for you?

ajs
25-09-2008, 07:02 AM
that is exactly what i want to do with my dining room windows
your house sounds like mine tatia and we have always talked about putting patio doors into the playroom to allow more access to the garden
amanda please can you send n here too, my hubby is perfectly capable of doing it but i think i'll be drawing my pension before he gets round to it

Tatia
25-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Could send my dh down to do it for you!! I really don't mind how long you keep him
Oooh yes please. I've seen his photo!:clapping: :laughing:

My husband is handy with computers, doing spread sheets, running large organizations and...ummm...well, admittedly, he's a dab hand round the house if you want to wait years for a project to be started (and a few more if you actually have the temerity to want it completed).:rolleyes:

Maybe we could set up 'Rent-a-Hubby' and actually get some things accomplished by loaning them out to each other!:laughing:

SimplyLucy
25-09-2008, 07:16 AM
We did this, replaced dining room window with patio doors then have a fenced off area off decking for all year round free flow.

We got our patio doors from wicks and my husband (now ex!) and my dad fitted it themselves.

The whole project cost under £500 and was the best thing I've done to the house seeing as the garden access was through the garage which is off the kitchen before!

Polly2
25-09-2008, 07:48 AM
That is such a good idea - I could do that in my house but it is rented :(

shopshelleyd
26-09-2008, 08:37 PM
I have patio doors leading off my lounge. We do have a window too but I rarely use it because opening the door is so much easier. When I set up to childmind I bought a Baby Dan hexagonal playpen which can also double as a room divider etc (they sell similar in argos). We have it fitted across the length of the glass doors to prevent toddlers running into the glass, it has a gate fitted in it too so doubles as an extra long safety gate preventing little ones unauthorised access to the garden but letting in lots of fresh air. Maybe this would work for you?

yes thanks its a good idea, I have a baby dan across the decking outside to stop littles falling down steps, might have to invest in another - I'm sure I don't make any money from this job .... :)

Tatia
29-09-2008, 01:57 PM
:update:

I've just had an estimate for £1247!!!:clapping: I am so pleased. Wasn't sure what to expect but that inlcudes a fully glazed door (safety glass), plus a fully glazed side return (to take up remainder of space and also for light) and a window above door that opens for ventilation when door is closed. The lovely man said it would only take a day to complete, as well! PLus they take away all their rubble and tidy up after themselves (which has to beat my husband doing it!).

Just hope I get the grant money cos not sure I can talk hubby ito this side of Christmas if not.:rolleyes:

Hopefully soon I will be asking y'all to help me plan the outside area!:D

crazybones
29-09-2008, 03:08 PM
That's a great price. :clapping: I've got my friends hubby coming to quote me for my decking. I have told him that as he is William's Godfather he can do it for cost because his Godson will be getting the most use from it. :D I have also found (and lost) a website that does sail's for canopies for cover/shade which was less than £50 for the size I want.

Tatia
29-09-2008, 03:21 PM
I like the idea of a sail. Would that keep rain off? The area being considered only gets morning light so sun is no problem but would like to be able to use it evewn when raining.

crazybones
29-09-2008, 05:35 PM
I dont think it will keep the rain off and it would have to be angled correctly so that water dripped where you want it. I would prefer something that is rainproof but think it would make the lounge really dark. Still working on that bit, maybe corrogated plastic or something.

crazybones
29-09-2008, 05:40 PM
I have found another website with the sails

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/coolaroo-desert-sand-sail-shade-p-488.html

wendywu
29-09-2008, 05:52 PM
DH has just put a gazebo up outside on part of the patio so we can use it even if it rains. Cheaper than a sail. The children love it and ask to eat tea out under it.:)

Rubybubbles
29-09-2008, 08:03 PM
it sounds fab:clapping:

I can't have free flow as you have to go through the kitchen to get to the garden, and I know someone on here got marked down for it:angry: , can't help how your house is

I am putting up the gazebo too wendy and someone posted a link on here for waterproofs so they can go outside at any time

phew! Just need ideas now to make the garden more fun, rather than 'toys':idea: please:laughing: