PDA

View Full Version : Got my first inspection on Monday 29th - lots of questions (sorry!)

sjsjmommy
24-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi, I'm in the process of registering and have my first OFSTED inspection on Monday next. Have just asked my hubby to print out a whack of info from the Bromley site (we've lost our printer cable and can't print anything at home!) which I will adapt and have ready to show the inspector on Monday. I'm going to do Risk Assessments but don't really have a clue where to start - or shall I just tell her that these are going to be done soon?

I also have two dogs that are great with my children and people they know but they take a long time to get used to new people - esp. children. We have a side shed (bin storage) area on our house which I was thinking could be used as a safe area for the dogs (thinking of putting them in there on Monday as well as they bark like the Hound of the Baskervilles whenever someone they don't know comes into the house) and saying that when I have mindees during the day the dogs will be there in their own safe place - but I hopefully will get mindees whose parents are happy for them to get to know the dogs (will have a pet policy for this!). I wanted my hubby to build them a pen in the garden but he said no and suggested the side shed instead. Do you think this will be ok for the inspector?

Am beginning to worry now a bit as I know my house is safe for my children (aged from 16 years down to 15 months) but should I go through it and make a list of things I'm aware will need doing before the grading inspection? There's no way I can get everything done before Monday....just a few odds and ends are getting done this weekend thanks to a hubby who works long long hours.....grrr:angry:

Any advice would be most welcome!
Joanne

Annie_T
24-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi, I'm in the process of registering and have my first OFSTED inspection on Monday next. Have just asked my hubby to print out a whack of info from the Bromley site (we've lost our printer cable and can't print anything at home!) which I will adapt and have ready to show the inspector on Monday. I'm going to do Risk Assessments but don't really have a clue where to start - or shall I just tell her that these are going to be done soon? i will attach my risk ass stuff for you hun, but dont worry if not done as your not minding yet and tbh thats when it will need to be done

I also have two dogs that are great with my children and people they know but they take a long time to get used to new people - esp. children. We have a side shed (bin storage) area on our house which I was thinking could be used as a safe area for the dogs (thinking of putting them in there on Monday as well as they bark like the Hound of the Baskervilles whenever someone they don't know comes into the house) and saying that when I have mindees during the day the dogs will be there in their own safe place - but I hopefully will get mindees whose parents are happy for them to get to know the dogs (will have a pet policy for this!). I wanted my hubby to build them a pen in the garden but he said no and suggested the side shed instead. Do you think this will be ok for the inspector? unsure, is the area actually big enough for the dogs for the whole day?, once used to the new children im sure they be ok out of it but til then id keep out way, even if it just in garden tbh as winter coming so wont get go out much (mindee's i mean) but i dont know what inspector will think hun bout the side shed sorry

Am beginning to worry now a bit as I know my house is safe for my children (aged from 16 years down to 15 months) but should I go through it and make a list of things I'm aware will need doing before the grading inspection? There's no way I can get everything done before Monday....just a few odds and ends are getting done this weekend thanks to a hubby who works long long hours.....grrr:angry: dont worry bout getttin everything done, this is just your pre reg inspection ..which means they just want know if you and the house are suitable basically hun ...beware they check whole house even if not wanting use the area. just have a action plan (what you will do before you are reg'ed or first proper inspection at least)

Any advice would be most welcome!
Joanne

good luck hun your be fine tho, i had a decorator in the day my inspector came to me haha (pre reg) and i pointed out things i knew needed doing etc she was fine just askewd to be sorted soon as possible

Annie_T
24-09-2008, 11:46 AM
hope this ok

twise
24-09-2008, 01:06 PM
For pre registrattion you will not need all your policies etc. you can say that you are aware of policies and you are in the process of producing a porfolio to give to parents.

The main thing will be risk assessment, on my pre reg the inspector asked me to go through my whole house pointing out the risk and dangers to the children and what I will be doing about them, such as plug sockets, front door locked, bleaches etc in a cupboard up high, smoke alarms...all the things you would normally do if you have young children in the house.

They may ask you about safeguarding children, if you have first aid certificate etc...it is more about the premises and person than the policies.

Explain what you are going to do about your dogs the inspector will note this down and offer any advice and in your other ofsted inspection 6 months or so later will ensure you have done what you said you would do.

Hope this helps...and really it is not as bad as you think. They are not there to catch you out .....they are there to offer advice.

Tracy:)

LeanneC
25-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Good luck with your inspection on monday, let us know how you get on...I'm a bit away from having mine as not yet sent application off. Waiting to get all jobs done in house first. :thumbsup:

singlewiththree
26-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Leanne I'm waiting too for my first aid course and my DIY. Hoping to get it all finished by the 25th Oct then I can register :clapping:

Paula W

sskent08
08-10-2008, 03:58 PM
hello

I am having my pre-reg on tuesday!!!!

Feeling a bit like you,:panic: we only moved into our house a few months ago, so still not straight. But on a mission to get sorted.

As you have all been advising more on saftey side of things, I have plug covers, fire guard,stair gates,cubpoard locks in place. I have had the fire brigade out to fit new smoke alarms.

When the inspector called the other day to arrange the appoitment, I had to check with my boss if I could leave work early, she said she would call me back later to confirm the appointment - she forgot to call me:laughing: . shows they are human!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah