PDA

View Full Version : When ofsted come

Mollymop
14-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi Again,

Please could you help me with a few queries, i know that Ofsted will be here within a week or 2 for my pre-reg visit I just want to know what is best to have out ready.

I have lots of toys and I have labled them in those big tox tubs with lids.
12 months plus
18 months plus
3years and over.

Does that sound ok? Or is there a better way.
I also have an understairs cupboard in my lounge/diner would i need a lock on it- i will just be storing the big toys in there and my hoover.

I have awish list made up of other things I need such as highchair, buggy travel cot, etc, is it ok that I don't have them to start with?

I haven't got window locks for upsairs yet, the windows are very high up and Tim is 8 and can not reach to opena window but I was told by NMCA that it doesn't matter you still need window locks upstairs. Will I be ok if I put these on my wish list to do before I have kids?

Also, is it a good idea to have all the policies ready to show them, just to show I have put a lot of hard work into it all?
Thanks alot for your help.

Trouble
14-01-2008, 12:09 PM
YOU CAN GET WINDOW ALARMS JUST AS GOOD IF THE WINDOW ARE HIGH UP AND ONLY A BABY WILL SLEEP IN A COT IN THEIR I DONT THINK ITS A PROBLEM BUT FOR OLDER KIDS IT IS A PROBLEM PUT ON DOOR LOCKS AT THE TOP OF THE DOORS SO THEY CANT REACH SO YOU KNOW NO ONE CAN GO IN YOUR ROOM I HAVE THEM AND THEY WERE FINE WITH THAT.ALSO FOR YOUR TOY CUPBOARD A HOOK AND EYE CATCH IS FINE:thumbsup:

Trouble
14-01-2008, 12:11 PM
its good to have policies and risk ass are good also fire drill book and escape plan, all smoke alarms, will let you know if i think of anything else oh a lockable cupboard for confidential stuff:thumbsup:

angeldelight
14-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Hello Sandra

Are you going to be registered for upstairs ?

It sounds like you have everything in order anyway so well done

Under the stairs - is there any danger to the children example can toys fall out all over them if they open it are they stacked high ? If everything is secure then I would not have a lock

Remember also that this is your pre - reg so you will not be expected to have everything in order - just to be aware of it and know what you should be doing.
You pre - reg is to help and guide you and she is there to advise on what you will need so anything you are not sure of then just ask

If you have your policies ready then of course show them
If you do not have them all ready then do not panic they will not expect it

You will be fine do not worry

Love Angel xx

berkschick
14-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi Sandra,

At my Pre Reg the inspector wanted to see all areas that I wanted registered. This was downstairs and my bedroom as that is where M sleeps in a travel cot. I also had the bathroom registered just incase any of them got so messy they needed a bath! She pointed out some wires that need pinning back to the wall but that was about it. As I have a 16 month old of my own, I have stairgates, plug socket covers, buggys etc.

I did have all my policies in place so she spent sometime looking through them but it wouldnt have mattered if I hadnt.

I did do a sheet of risk assesments which she seemed quite pleased with. I can email you the template if that would be helpful. You can put on there things like the window locks then she will know that you are aware and have plans to act on it.

She did ask me loads of questions like how will I deal with bad behaviour? How would I manage mealtimes if mindee brought their own food? How will I keep mindees safe from pet food? ETC

One thing she did need but I couldnt find was my car insurance to show I was insured for business use.

Good luck and dont panic! The inspector was really nice and it is just a first visit so they wont be expecting loads from you, thats next time! Lol

Love

Debbie

Mollymop
14-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks everyone,

You have helped me a lot.

Debbie, I already have a risk assesment in place, but thank you anyway. XX

angeldelight
14-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Good luck Sandra keep us posted

Angel xx

charleyfarley
14-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine, doesn't stop us worrying though.

Carol xx

deeb66
14-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Lots of really good advice already given.

Good luck

Mollymop
14-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the supportive replies!

Darren had just told me that upstairs is going to be out of bounds for minding as he wants the kids to have there own space, I suppose he is right.
I have a downstairs cloakromm o that is ok for toilet and sink.

At least that means I won't need to get window locks fitted up there.:D

I am just a bit concerned that ofsted won't let me have the maximum I am allowed - 2 under 5 and 3 under 8's. But my downstairs is big enough, i hope.
18ft x 18ft lounge/diner, 10ftx7ft kitchen, cloakroom and hallway, but I don't think they include hallway and cloakroom.

Do you think that will be big enough?

xx

Trouble
14-01-2008, 08:03 PM
yep you will be fine

berkschick
14-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I think you will be ok, Im no good with room sizes but like I said before I only registered downstairs and I got my full "allowance".

I felt the same as your hubby that my own kids needed their rooms to be their rooms still and also wanted to keep the mindees where I could see them all!

They might ask to see the bathroom even though you have a downstairs cloakroom, they did with me. It was incase the mindees ever needed bathing!

Also, where are you planning on little ones sleeping? I wanted M to sleep in my room in the travel cot so that had to be looked at too.

Love

Debbie

Trouble
14-01-2008, 08:10 PM
ive had an after thought if you say they are only sleeping rooms its better to have the on your certificate than have to ask for it to be changed later. my kids rooms are for over 8s and sleeping rooms but only one child have ever played up their only because i trust her and i use two of the bedrooms for sleeping little ones but you dont have to use them or you just applie again later in time if you need to

Mollymop
14-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks Debbie and Di,
I am so indecisive at the moment.
One minute I want only downstairs registered and then want upstairs aswell.
I said to Darren - it is best to get everywhere registered just incase, but he won't listen, to tell u the truth he isn't being very supportive at the moment!:mad: It won't take long to put the locks on the window, after all they are wooden framed, so not too difficult for him to do. Lazy, that's all:laughing:

berkschick
14-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Men eh?!!

You dont have to get all the house registered.

I kept the kids bedroom doors closed and also the en-suite door closed ( I dont imagine M will fancy a shower after her nap haha) and no questions were asked.

I know other minders who have the travel cot in a quiet corner of the lounge or the kids sleep on the sofa or in the pushchair so upstairs didnt need to be registered.

Difficult one!

Love

Debbie

js.merritt
22-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi Sandra

I'm so pleased you asked this question - I'm in the same situation as you, wondering exactly what I need to have ready before Ofsted come. :eek:
I am planning to not use the upstairs - then I can keep toys which I consider
unsuitable in my daughter's room (!) as well as toys/books that are precious to her. However, I would like to be able to use my bedroom for a baby in a travel cot. I haven't dared send off my application forms yet, but reading all these replies makes me feel better about it all, so I will hopefully be doing it soon!

love

Juliet :) xx

son77
22-01-2008, 01:47 PM
When Ofsted came for my first visit I was completely unprepared! They phoned the evening before they came out to see me.

I had no policies (didn't even know what these were at the time), all I had done was a fire evacuation plan which she wasn't bothered at looking at anyway. Toys out as my daughter was there playing, nothing in labelled boxes (don't have labelled boxes now either).

She just asked me questions on the national standards, asked about cupboard locks, stair gates etc, had a very quick look around & that was it.

On your first visit they don't expect everything to be ready, I think just checking that you & your house are suitable for chidminding.

Most of all, don't worry, it's not as bad as you think!

manjay
22-01-2008, 01:50 PM
I know we work slightly differently in Wales but the pre reg visit is not half as bad as expected. TBH I think it depends on the inspector aswell in what they pick up on. However mine just gave me a list of what she wanted doing and hubby and I had to sign and return the paper once we had completed all her requests. Some were things that I had already highlighted as needing doing such as a window lock in the bathroom but other things I could not have forseen for example I had made a tiny remark about homework in one of my policies which she didn't like so I had to change it!!!

The only room I am not registered for is my bedroom and I do have high locks on the door. My sons room is for sleeping if I need it and I did get the girls room registered but that is used very rarely when my daughter wants to take a friend upstairs.

amanda xx

Banana
22-01-2008, 07:01 PM
When Ofsted came for my first visit I was completely unprepared! They phoned the evening before they came out to see me.

I had no policies (didn't even know what these were at the time), all I had done was a fire evacuation plan which she wasn't bothered at looking at anyway. Toys out as my daughter was there playing, nothing in labelled boxes (don't have labelled boxes now either).

She just asked me questions on the national standards, asked about cupboard locks, stair gates etc, had a very quick look around & that was it.

On your first visit they don't expect everything to be ready, I think just checking that you & your house are suitable for chidminding.

Most of all, don't worry, it's not as bad as you think!

My pre reg was pretty much the same as this. I did have all of my policies ready and she had a brief look through these. Looked round the house, asked some questions about how I would keepo the children safe in certain situations etc.. asked a couple of questions on the national standards. The pre reg is exactly that a pre reg, Its not affecting a grade and they just want to find out if you are a suitable person to childmind. Not so much about the equipment and policies etc...

good luck

xx

Lou
22-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Dont panic about your pre reg, as everyone has said its nothing to worry about.

If there are things that need doing or you should have they will advise you.

You sound like you have it all under control.

I dont have any kind of lock on my understairs cupboard, and i do have window locks but they are never locked, actually i dont know where the keys are!!!!!

The other thing is, in terms of which rooms to register, i have registered the whole house just in case. My children are both at school and i would never let children play upstairs, infact my children keep all their "special" toys etc in their rooms, but babies do sleep better in nice quiet bedrooms, so thats why i did it, i have 3 bed house so if i had 3 that needed a sleep, i have room to put 3 travel cots up.

The only room i dont have registered is the ensuite, think i do need somwhere to leave the bleach lying around!!!

sarah707
22-01-2008, 08:33 PM
The only room i dont have registered is the ensuite, think i do need somwhere to leave the bleach lying around!!!

:eek: Don't go telling anyone now :p

Lou
22-01-2008, 08:35 PM
:eek: Don't go telling anyone now :p

its ok though as it isnt registered....

i have told this story before, but ill tell it again lol.....

my inspector at my pre reg said isthere any rooms you dont want registered?

i said yeah my ensuite...... need some where to leave tampax and razor blades, and stick everything i dont want you to see!!!!

Thought she was gonna cry she was laughing so much!!!!

sarah707
22-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I use my bedroom in the loft for that! It's locked up in the day and nobody goes in there any other time... not even my children! :laughing:

Lou
22-01-2008, 09:09 PM
I use my bedroom in the loft for that! It's locked up in the day and nobody goes in there any other time... not even my children! :laughing:

as long as you dont lock any children in there :laughing: :laughing:

Rubybubbles
26-01-2008, 05:50 PM

:o wonder what else is in there:laughing:

sarah707
26-01-2008, 06:19 PM
:o wonder what else is in there:laughing:

Ah now that would be telling ;)

Mollymop
26-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks everyoen oyu have made me feel loads better! I have my inspection this riday and even though I feel like I am pretty clued up, i just have this vision of the inspector sitting there asking me all these questions putting me on the spot, etc and I don't do well under pressure!
Never mind, I am sure I will be ok.
I will let you know!!!

Thanks again!!:)

angeldelight
27-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Good luck for Friday hope it all goes well but I am sure it will

Thinking of you

Angel xx