PDA

View Full Version : milestones what do u do

jaytravis
24-09-2008, 09:43 AM
i have a baby staring with me in a 2 weeks who is 6months what do you do if a baby starts walking or says his first word while he is with you do you tell the parent or keep quiet incase they feel they have missed out
thanks

Wiggly
24-09-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm sure there will be differing opinions on this.

I always tell parents because a lot of them keep records of children's firsts and it should be the date the child first crawled/stood etc etc that is noted.

I normally discuss this with parents to see how they feel about it and what they would prefer.

Wiggly
x

Jinx
24-09-2008, 09:51 AM
M first mindee was 6mths when he started.
He was, and still is full time, so it was a fore gone conclusion that he would do something for the first time here at some stage. I asked his mum outright whether she would want to know or not and she said she'd like to know.

What I have actually done though is tell her that he has 'almost' walked or 'nearly' jumped or 'sort of' said something. If I can then I tell her these things on a Friday so that she can 'work' on them over the weekend and come and tell me he's done it properly on Monday. He's 19mths old now and it has worked so far. :thumbsup:

sarah707
24-09-2008, 12:36 PM
MWhat I have actually done though is tell her that he has 'almost' walked or 'nearly' jumped or 'sort of' said something. If I can then I tell her these things on a Friday so that she can 'work' on them over the weekend and come and tell me he's done it properly on Monday. He's 19mths old now and it has worked so far. :thumbsup:

This is what I do... plus gag my children so they don't go blurting it out to the mum! :D

devoncm
24-09-2008, 01:39 PM
This is what I do... plus gag my children so they don't go blurting it out to the mum! :D

Id do that but it is impossible to gag my dd from talking she likes to be first to the door to say how they have behaved and if they ate all there tea or not! lol

although dont currently have that problem as got no babies

merry
24-09-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't tell, just hint that it looks like they're about to start walking or whatever it is. Those firsts are so important to parents and does it really matter if the first time they do something is written down a few days after it actually happened? Many parents feel guilty enough at leaving their child to start with, missing their first word/step/tooth can be heartbreaking for some.

:)

balloon
24-09-2008, 05:19 PM
i've had to work this one out recently too. My youngest mindee was 6 months and he recently rolled over for the very first time. I agonised over whether I should tell mum and finally decided to as it could have been a safety issue, eg if they laid him on a bed not realising he could roll and he rolled right off the edge and got badly hurt.

But, he sits up here and mum doesn't know that, as far as she is aware he is not sitting yet. he is off on a weeks hols any day now and I'm fully expecting him to come back sitting up on his own. I just wanted to try and ensure that she had that 'first' even though she was absolutely fine about the rolling over thing.

Hope that helps a little

Alibali
24-09-2008, 05:45 PM
I never have any firsts at my house, parents feel guilty enough about working never mind missing the firsts. One lo had 1st tooth for 2 weeks before his Mum 'found' it:D

tomthumb
24-09-2008, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't tell parents either or might go with the 'sort of'. My eldest was in a nursery at 12 months and I would have hated it if I had gone to pick her up and they would have told me that she did this or that....I felt guilty enough about leaving her!
I think it is a good idea though to ask the parents as everybody is different!

Elodie XX

elaineg
25-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I dont see firsts, but hint at them nearly doing something.

love Elaine XXX