PDA

View Full Version : communication breakdown between parents

Helen Dempster
23-09-2008, 12:22 PM
hello. Yesterday I had my first mindee for just a couple of hours. On Mondays, there's a slightly different arrangement than on Tues/Weds where I pick up and take home. Mum dropped the kids at the arranged meeting place, and told me dad would collect from there at allocated time. All went well...too well. I took the mindees back and waited for dad...and waited...and waited. :angry: It began to rain...I waited. 2 yr old started crying as was cold. 3 yr old really needed a wee wee! I waited for 30 mins, no call, and couldn't get hold of mum or dad on phone, so I decided to take them both back to mine (another 15 min walk). Girl wet herself on way back, poor thing. Changed girl and got everyone in my car eventually, then drove them home. Dad answered, all smiles. I said (crossly) "where were you?" He looked at me as though I was mad - I told him the arrangements and he said "are you kidding? I didn't know!" But he was very apologetic, I'll give him that. Now, should I charge the extra hour, or should I let this go, and make them aware that if it happens again I will take no prisoners and charge them for it? I wasn't a happy bunny and it took a while for me to chill. :cool:

What would you all do???

Hels xx

berkschick
23-09-2008, 12:25 PM
I would charge them, no doubt about it!

Start as you mean to go on :thumbsup:

melanieabigail2004
23-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Charge without a doubt. They need to know where the land lies now as really that was not on.

Mel

Jules12Wed
23-09-2008, 12:29 PM

I agree if you let them get away with it this time they will assune that if they are late another time it will perfectly acceptable and will assume they don't need to pay.

jellytot
23-09-2008, 12:32 PM
yes agreed you should charge

Polly2
23-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Definately charge! You don't have to say any more about it just stick it on their bill.

This happened to me the other day but not as bad as you - I was just sat at home waiting for dad who had forgot!

manjay
23-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Most definitely charge

Helen Dempster
23-09-2008, 12:56 PM
that was unanimous - thanks everyone! :)

kiddiwinks
23-09-2008, 12:59 PM
I would charge also.

Why are they being dropped of and picked up away from your home.

wendywu
23-09-2008, 01:05 PM
No i would not charge if it was a mistake and they are new. BUT i would make it quite clear i would if it happened in the future.:)

emmadines
23-09-2008, 01:16 PM

ditto to that! if it was on the other foot i bet they would prob be a bit ticked off

Kelly
23-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm with Wendy on this one, I wouldn't charge, it was obviously a mistake. I would just ensure that everyone knew the pick up and collection procedure and make it clear I would have to charge if it happened again.

Kelly

katickles
23-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Oh the poor little ones :(

I would definatly charge & I would even write to mum & dad explaining that you need to know the correct drop off collection procedures as per whatever days incident.

Hope they don't carry on behaving like this x

wendywu
23-09-2008, 01:48 PM
We all make mistakes and he was very sorry. I would make it quite plain that in future i will not wait anything past 10 min, now winter is coming up.

But i have done this the other way round, gone out for the whole day in the summer and due to traffic when the M25 gets closed, left all my parents sitting on my drive for 30min while i try to get their children home.:laughing:

It depends what tone you want to set for the future relationship.

Tatia
23-09-2008, 02:15 PM
I agree with Wendy on this. You can point out in a very 'see how generous I am' sort of way that you're willing to let them slide this time. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt as it's the beginning of the relationship and you want to creat a harmonious working atmosphere. Dad obviously didn't do it on purpose, was very sorry and apologetic and I bet they don't do it again.

tulip0803
23-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I would charge.

I used to charge until they actually left my house rounded up to the next 15 mins too(I had families that wanted to hang around so therefore I was still working).

polobear1970
23-09-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm with the others i would charge them

Lisa

wendywu
23-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Be careful you dont leave yourself in the situation where you cannot make a mistake yourself Helen. Most childminders have lost the odd pair of socks at soft play. Left a coat at toddlers. Or even given a child the wrong bottle or meal. Or got back too late due to traffic to give them tea. In a good parent minder relationship it is give and take. We all have slip ups. I know i am far from perfect.:)

Chatterbox Childcare
23-09-2008, 05:25 PM
I would speak to mum and dad and clarify what time you are to be finished. If they need extra time, charge for the month and then write a new contract after the settling in period

If you go in all guns blazing you might lose them

Also if dad is out why cannot he collect them from you? It is going to be awful cold in the snow and rain and winter comes

Alibali
23-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I'd be prone to put this down to teething problems and not charge for it. It does seem like a genuine mistake, and if it's a one off I wouldn't charge anyone. As it is early days you don't want to start on a bad footing. I can understand how cross you would have been, but we are only human.

Twinkles
23-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Be careful you dont leave yourself in the situation where you cannot make a mistake yourself Helen. Most childminders have lost the odd pair of socks at soft play. Left a coat at toddlers. Or even given a child the wrong bottle or meal. Or got back too late due to traffic to give them tea. In a good parent minder relationship it is give and take. We all have slip ups. I know i am far from perfect.:)

It's true she's VERY far from it :laughing:

Actually i agree with wendy. In the interests of a good relationship with the parents you could be generous and forgive their mistake.