PDA

View Full Version : Children being collected by teenagers?

miss mopple
23-09-2008, 06:40 AM
My mindee has been being collected by his Auntie this week.

Yesterday he had to be collected from school by her as he was at club, and the teachers refused to release him.

It turns out she's not as old as I thought she was (I thought she was 15/16). She's 13.

Sooo, is there a legal age we can release them to or is it ok with signed permission from parent?

sarah707
23-09-2008, 06:41 AM
There is no legal age...

You have to go with signed parental permission unless you refuse to accept it because of a serious concern.

Make sure parents sign to state that as soon as the child leaves your premises you are not longer liable for them

miffy
23-09-2008, 06:43 AM
I'm not sure about the legal age - if there is one but I wouldn't let a child be collected by a 13yo I think that's too young.

Miffy xx

miss mopple
23-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Thanks Sarah. She signs the collections book but I will draw up a more specific form today.

miss mopple
23-09-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm not sure about the legal age - if there is one but I wouldn't let a child be collected by a 13yo I think that's too young.

Miffy xx

It is young but I have to say, she is a very responsible girl. She only walks him back to her house and his nan is there so we're only talking a 5 min walk.

singlewiththree
23-09-2008, 06:50 AM
I noticed at preschool last night that a 11yr old was picking her sister up. Mum was out front in the car but they didnt seem concerned. I suppose at least being outside in the car they can contact her if they need to but the parent missed out on being shown the work folder her daughter had done that day. I have decided I wont let a child go without an adult and have written it into my policies.

Pedagog
23-09-2008, 06:50 AM
My daughter used to collect her younger sister who is three years younger, when she was 13, but as kids of 7 walk home alone from school, I can see no problem.

Chatterbox Childcare
23-09-2008, 07:34 AM
My mindee has been being collected by his Auntie this week.

Yesterday he had to be collected from school by her as he was at club, and the teachers refused to release him.

It turns out she's not as old as I thought she was (I thought she was 15/16). She's 13.

Sooo, is there a legal age we can release them to or is it ok with signed permission from parent?

If I am responsible for the child I only let my 16 year old collect who is CRB checked and cleared by Ofsted - no one younger

If Auntie is picking up and mum has sent her it is mums responsibility

HFC
23-09-2008, 10:16 AM
I had the same problem a few years ago. I had a 13 year old sister collecting a baby. After talking to the Care Commission (Scotland) it was agreed that as long as I had a letter from the parents stating this was what they wanted I was covered. I did have certain hours that the child could be collected though as I didn't want her arriving on a friday afternoon when there is no school and taking him away.

buildingblocks
24-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I have it in my policies that if anyone other than parents are collecting they must be 16 or over.

Hannahlg
24-09-2008, 06:02 PM
we look after a 6 year old gir land 4 year old boy and there older sister who is soon to be 16 sometiems picks them up . but its only if mum is going to be very late etc and we have got permission. like last wedesday the trans had stopped running and didnt know when she was going to get home so she phoend to say that the older sister will be coming from them i nthe end sister only looked after them for 45min as mum got home at 6pm (normaly hoem at 5.15pm)

Hannahlg
24-09-2008, 06:05 PM
cary on from above post

but when the children started coming the older sister was 12 but then there onyl liekd up the road and around the coner (less them 2min walk) so if older siister had to come and get them we was only around the coner if she needed help or anything as then the little boy was only 1

angeldelight
24-09-2008, 07:33 PM

Miffy xx

I agree with Miffy

I always say that I will not let a child go with anyone under the age of 16 and I make that clear from the start
I have never had one parent complain about that rule

Angel xx