PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping baskets

Tatia
22-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I was talking with centre manager the other day about dark dens and she said she had read a very interesting article.

This article says that young children should have a basket (like a Moses basket) in a quiet, darkened area that they can climb into whenever they want, to put themselves to sleep or retreat for a bit. Reason being that we tend to put them down for naps at times that are convenient for us, not necassarily the child. I just thought this was an intriguing idea though not sure how practical for us when we have to be in and out on nursery and school runs. Maybe better suited for a nursery setting when there's more hustle bustle and the young child feels a need for quiet time plus you don't have to leave the setting.

I am, obviously, reminded of pet baskets and crack up when I think of OFSTED inspecting with a child sleeping in a basket under the table.:laughing: However, it does seem a really nice idea. I tend to set a small tent up in the living room as a den, with cushions, blankets and books and both my under 5s love it so I guess it's sort of the same principle, just carried a bit further.

Just wondered what everyone thought? I need to ask the name of article or publication so I can read it for myself.

Twinkles
22-09-2008, 11:33 AM
like you say Tatia it doesn't seem very practical what with nursery ,school runs and toddler groups etc.
I do agree that a quiet corner/tent is important ( I'd quite like one myself !)

crazybones
22-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a vision in my head of Ofsted turning up and 3 little ones all curled up in dog baskets. :laughing:

mum22
22-09-2008, 12:23 PM
:laughing:
I have a vision in my head of Ofsted turning up and 3 little ones all curled up in dog baskets. :laughing:with little bowls of water next to them in case they are thirsty:laughing: and their reins hanging up by the door

gailee
22-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Well i've been to play and stay and they have dog basket the fluffy ones brand new it's the new thing apprately (sp) :D

Rubybubbles
22-09-2008, 01:07 PM
now now, I think some of you are taking this a bit silly:laughing: :laughing:

I think it's a lovely idea, but as you say as a childminder in practise much harder! My lo know that after lunch is nap time eh! they wouldn't go to sleep if they didn't like it would they:D

I do like the idea of a snuggle corner, currently I only have 2 little chairs next to the book case for chilling out, but the 20 month think's it's very funny to climb them or tip them over:mad: may have to get a cheap tent:idea: ikea hehe

or a dark den:laughing:

LisaH
22-09-2008, 01:20 PM
My mindees are in the 'nap after lunch' routine!!

I bet they would love it if i gave them a dog basket to sleep in!!!:laughing:

Gherkin
22-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Saw this article with photos in Nursery World at some point in the early part of the summer. The images did just look like large dog baskets!!:eek:

Personally I am not sure that this would suit all children as I know some little ones that will nod off in dinner but will still declare that they are not tired and certainly would not entertain the idea of taking themselves off to bed.

Tatia
22-09-2008, 03:53 PM
:update:
Told my sister about this idea as my niece is nearly 8 months old. She's teething and being a pain about sleeping lately. So she got out the Moses basket and put it on the floor and within a 1/2 hour, the baby had climbed in on her own and was asleep inside it!:eek: :laughing: Granted I think Daddy may have rocked her in it a bit but if it helps her associate it with sleep, then it may all turn out in the end. Sis is gonna keep me posted about how it all unfolds.

Thanks for telling me Nursery World. Now I can search the article myself.:thumbsup:

tara
22-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Nice idea but l bet when all the ofstead staff had young children they done the same as us.The thing is when l get my little boy up hes well rested but if he was in a basket in a room were he could come and go he would be tied all the time.God what ever next its all right giving them freedom of choice but they are only little and most of the time dont know whats good for them.It worrys me what ofsted will want us to try next.

Tatia
22-09-2008, 04:47 PM
It's not OFSTED. It's a new theory developing within Early Years. :)

balloon
22-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Love the idea, if only to wasn't so impractical, but I have to admit that I'm another one with visions of kiddies curled up in doggie baskets, lol!

Mothercare do a fab camping cot that little ones can possible just toddle off to and have a nap when they feel like it, its on their website and looks a bit like a weird tent.

butterfly
22-09-2008, 07:14 PM
can anyone recommend a small water proof tent that could live outside for a while but withstand the showers? my lounge is so small and I now have a huge playpen in it - it won't cope with a tent as well!

Tatia
22-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Could you put sheets or dark voile curtains over the playpen? That's been done at children's centre to make the playpen more den-like. I'll get a photo when I'm next there.

crazybones
22-09-2008, 07:54 PM
can anyone recommend a small water proof tent that could live outside for a while but withstand the showers? my lounge is so small and I now have a huge playpen in it - it won't cope with a tent as well!

Argos have some

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400054/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports%2Band%2Bleisure%7C10199 392/c_2/2%7Ccat_10199392%7CCamping%2Band%2Bcaravanning%7C1 0199393/c_3/3%7Ccat_10199393%7CTents%7C10199417.htm

There is a cheaper one but out of stock. If you have a local camping shop you might get one cheap in end of season sales.

flora
23-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I think those dogs crates with locakble doors would be a far better option for some of the little wotsits I have had over the years :rolleyes: :D

Tatia
24-09-2008, 06:30 AM
That's the same thing I said, Flora!:laughing:

miffy
24-09-2008, 06:46 AM
I think those dogs crates with locakble doors would be a far better option for some of the little wotsits I have had over the years :rolleyes: :D
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now I really don't think Ofsted would approve of that!

Miffy xx

buildingblocks
26-09-2008, 07:47 PM
I was trying to work out how to get round my sleep problems for hte little ones now I know - off shopping for dog baskets tomorrow :ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

flora
26-09-2008, 07:51 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now I really don't think Ofsted would approve of that!

Miffy xx

What ofsted don't know Miffy won't hurt them :D as it has been pointed out to me I live in the middle of no where...... who's to know :D :littleangel: