PDA

View Full Version : walk to school alone

disney
21-09-2008, 12:24 PM
please can some of you give me your advice i have a girl of 8 who comes to me and mum wants to do a new contract for less hours ! ok well i dont mind that it does mean less money but thats not the real problem , on to prob i have spoken to mum about when we walk to school that she is messing around does not watch for cars and runs of to school (some days i dont even see her go in the gates ) this is causing probs with my younger children who keep on trying to keep up and asking why cant they go of
mum has asked me if she can walk to school on her own as she only needs me to have her from 7am -9pm , but im worried about it is nt she a little young to do this or am i just over protective mum said she does it every night her self and on weds when i dont have her , but she has no road sense and is very imature what would you do ? x

flora
21-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Harry walked from 8yrs to the bus stop in the village. Its about mile and three quarters, so no too far.

He had two roads to cross, one of them busy 'ish for a village with cars whipping through.

For two weeks we walked with him letting him show us he could manage the roads, little by little we let him go.

It is hard and lots of mums said how brave we were to let him do it, but he was getting older and to be honest needed to learn the skills.

If this lo is very immmature then have a word with mum about letting her have increasing independance.

If she already has the independance and mum is not bothered, make sure you have a policy to cover her comings and goings and juts let mum decide.

As for the little ones. Sometimes they just have to be told they are too young, harsh but nobody ever said life was fair :D

Hope that helps xxxxx

singlewiththree
21-09-2008, 03:15 PM
My nephew is 8 and walks to school alone and I did it from age 7 when I was a lot lot younger :)

Perhaps you could do a trial like was mentioned tell her she has to prove she can walk sensibly and cross the roads, let her lead the road cross and only intervene if there looks like a problem. After a week if she has proved herself let her go 5 minutes before you or something. Are there any friends on route who she can call on?

Paula w
www.marplechildminding.co.uk

angeldelight
21-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Sorry but none of the 8 year olds I mind walk to school alone

If they are in my care then I want to know they arrive safe - how would I know if a child had not turned up ok?
Say if they had an accident on the way to school - how could I deal with that with half a dozen other children
I just would not fancy the idea

Even the 10 year old I mind gets picked up by me

Apart from that I personally think 8 is too young but I suppose it depends on where you live

It is not busy where I live but I know that all the parents of that age and even older take their children to school

There are not many around here that walk alone

Angel xx

crazybones
21-09-2008, 03:30 PM
I think its too young. The only school run I do in the morning is for my own 9 year old. We are less than 10 mins from school and my life would be so much easier if I didnt have to do it but I couldnt settle all day not knowing he was through the gate. :panic:

flora
21-09-2008, 03:43 PM
God.. reading this I feel like an evil mother :blush:

If he had to cross major town roads or something equally complicated then I might not have considered it but it's a realtively safe walk and he had to learn sometime.

My eldest mindee aged 9 walks home with Harry sometimes if I don't have to go for the younger ones and parents are quite happy.

As for not knowing they are there, my friend has younger children at the bus stop and she would have texted me if he hadn't arrived and school ring at 9.30am if you have't rung to say they are sick.

angeldelight
21-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Oh course you are not an evil mother silly

We just all do things different like many things it does not make us bad

Angel xxx

crazybones
21-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Dont feel evil. I just dont trust my 9 year old. He can be so dopey :rolleyes: Might have been a different story with my eldest if the opportunity had been there - totally different child, very sensible.

singlewiththree
21-09-2008, 04:10 PM
If your an evil mother then I am too :)

I'm actively encouraging my 7yr to take the waking bus and then next year she can walk on her own but she wont.

I think you know your child or your childminded children and if they are sensible then in my eyes its ok. However my only worry is stranger danger so would prefer her to walk with friends :-)

sarah707
21-09-2008, 05:12 PM
If you are concerned about what the mum is saying to you, then you need to make your feelings clear.

You also need to explain that the moment the girl walks out of your door, you are no longer responsible or insured for her.

I hope you work it out ok.

disney
21-09-2008, 05:50 PM
thanks for all opinions i have had this girl for a year now and have always had problems with walking to and from school ( not looking when crossing , kicking her lunch box , letting her bag fall around her anckles, just running of and being a silly girl ) i have spoken to mum and she has said that they have alot of trouble with her at home :( but when i had a quiet word that she was not behaving then mum said why dont you just let her go school on her own

i said to mum but she is not very sensible and last week she kept on being late for school , yet we were all on time but she was messing around in the cloake room . yes but mum said i wish she was more like my son hes so mature and she has to walk home as i cant afford you any more after school :
:eek: im sorry but after 2 weeks in florida & 2 weeks in greece in 3 months im not surprised :angry: sorry i know i shouldnt judge x