PDA

View Full Version : Free places for two year olds???

Mags
20-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Every two-year-old would get a free nursery place under plans for a major expansion of childcare announced by Gordon Brown.

Up to 600,000 youngsters could benefit every year as the Government seeks to build on existing provision for three and four-year-olds.

The move, revealed in an interview with The Sunday Telegraph, could cost in excess of £1 billion.

"I think more choice for women and for families is one of themes of the next stage of our policy reforms," Mr Brown told the newspaper.

"What I want us to do is to create thousands more nursery places, not just for three and four-year-olds but also for two-year-olds.

"This is not a Government that walks away but a Government that's on the side of hard-working families, helping them to climb the ladder."

The plans go further than an already-announced scheme to help 20,000 low income parents with two-year-olds.

They will feature in Mr Brown's make-or-break speech to the Labour Party conference in Manchester on Tuesday, when he will promise a "new wave of social mobility - upward mobility - people being able to do better than their parents".

At present, parents get up to 15 hours of free childcare a week when their children are three and four.

Ministers believe that exposure to learning environments at an earlier age will boost achievements at primary school.

This is the first i have heard of this.....how do you think this will affect us childminders....if at all!

sarah707
21-09-2008, 07:16 AM
My very best parents in the whole world... announced the other week that their son, age 3, is now entitled to 15 hours care in his playgroup and 4 sessions of that would be when I normally looked after him.

So I am losing 2 days a week ... and I only have him for 3.

it's a financial thing... they know he's getting just as much care and attention etc here... it just saves them a day paying me :(

It will affect us very badly I think. Parents are not bottomless money pits and if something is free they'd be daft not to take it.

crazybones
21-09-2008, 07:21 AM
My very best parents in the whole world... announced the other week that their son, age 3, is now entitled to 15 hours care in his playgroup and 4 sessions of that would be when I normally looked after him.

So I am losing 2 days a week ... and I only have him for 3.

it's a financial thing... they know he's getting just as much care and attention etc here... it just saves them a day paying me :(

It will affect us very badly I think. Parents are not bottomless money pits and if something is free they'd be daft not to take it.

Totally agree with Sarah but they are taking a lot of choice away from parents because most of us childminders are not included in offering funded sessions even though we are providing the same (or better in most cases) care for these children. How many 2 year olds will end up in an environment that is not suited to them as individuals because parents are offered free care. :(

crazybones
21-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Just read this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7627625.stm

:( :( :(

Hannahlg
21-09-2008, 07:37 AM
yes but if children are attending pre-school while in our care - if you are taking the child and picking the child up from the pre-school we can still charge parents full fee's anywheres so it wont effort us and the same if there going to attend a nuresy school

miffy
21-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Just read this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7627625.stm

:( :( :(

That sounds like the article Mags was quoting from

Miffy xx

miffy
21-09-2008, 07:42 AM
yes but if children are attending pre-school while in our care - if you are taking the child and picking the child up from the pre-school we can still charge parents full fee's anywheres so it wont effort us and the same if there going to attend a nuresy school

Lots of schools/nurseries offer care outside the funded time - eg breakfast and after school clubs so only a small portion of the day has to be paid for by parents.

Miffy xx

miffy
21-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Totally agree with Sarah but they are taking a lot of choice away from parents because most of us childminders are not included in offering funded sessions even though we are providing the same (or better in most cases) care for these children. How many 2 year olds will end up in an environment that is not suited to them as individuals because parents are offered free care. :(

I agree with all you and Sarah have said Annie. Childminders are just not able to compete on a level playing field and even if what we offer is better than playgroups or nurseries there aren't many parents who won't take advantage of their free sessions.

With parents having extended maternity leave and funding in place at 2 rather than 3 the time we can expect to earn full pay for a child is diminishing rapidly.

Miffy xx

christine e
21-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Just been on NCMA's website to see if anything there - no direct reference but in the news bit it states that a coalition of organisations (which includes NCMA) is meeting with polititians at all the party conferences (all coming up soon) so hopefully NCMA will have a chance to speak on this issue for us.

Tried to copy and paste link but it didn't work

Cx

crazybones
21-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Is this the NCMA link?

http://www.*************//MainWebSite/Newslisting581a1f04.aspx?Map=B1784A3D5483266C1FA20 2FB5D447ECB&NewsItemID=93&NewsGroupID=1

christine e
21-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Just had news on. They are saying that this could not happen overnight and could take up t 10 years to roll out so we do have time to fight our corner. Personally I think it is just an election ploy.

Cx

christine e
21-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Is this the NCMA link?

http://www.*************//MainWebSite/Newslisting581a1f04.aspx?Map=B1784A3D5483266C1FA20 2FB5D447ECB&NewsItemID=93&NewsGroupID=1

Hi Annie

Yes this is the link

Thanks

Cx

kindredspirits
21-09-2008, 08:11 AM
i think, trying to be positive, that the nurseries will run out of space - in which case they'll have to open the 'free' sessions to chilminders on our pay terms. lets face it they can't physically fit every 2 year old in the country into the current nurseries, can they?!?!

plus i'd love to know how a financially struggling gov are going to fund this! they'll be out by next year anyhoo!

Tatia
21-09-2008, 08:20 AM
This is why it's worth looking into becoming accredited, if the scheme is available in your area. Then you will be able to offer the parents the free sessions.

It's not available everywhere, I know and that's a real shame because we still have the advantage over nurseries of lower ratios and a wider variety of learning opportunities for little ones. As it stands, it's all coming down to the money at the end of the day.

And as a parent, I don't think 5 sessions is really good for a 2 yr old. My DD, who loves school and is eager to take part in new adventures, was a real ratbag at 2 yrs old after each session and she only went twice a week for 2 1/2 hours (not funded). She came home completely wound up, screaming, having tantrums because she was overloaded. Not that she didn't enjoy herself whilst there, it's just at that age, they get so tired and overstimulated. They're still babies!

Hannahlg
21-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Lots of schools/nurseries offer care outside the funded time - eg breakfast and after school clubs so only a small portion of the day has to be paid for by parents.

Miffy xx

but there be only geting 15 hours a week so only 3 hours a day
which every 3 year old can get at the moment anywhers there will jsut be getting it from 2 years old instead of 3 years old

and some people wont childminders for there children not a nuresy

samgeordie
21-09-2008, 10:22 AM
when i used to have to use a childminder before becoming one myself it didn't benefit me at all the "free nursery care" as i still paid my childminder while my daughter when to nursery 2.5hrs in the mornings. Unless a nursery offers wrap around care people who use childminders will still be paying for the care which includes the nursery hours so i don't think it will make much difference.

oneofeach
21-09-2008, 11:10 AM
when i used to have to use a childminder before becoming one myself it didn't benefit me at all the "free nursery care" as i still paid my childminder while my daughter when to nursery 2.5hrs in the mornings. Unless a nursery offers wrap around care people who use childminders will still be paying for the care which includes the nursery hours so i don't think it will make much difference.

I have just put my sons name down for nursery and was asked if I would be interested in wrap around care and them being more flexible and offering the free hours grouped together rather than over 5 days.

"NO"

I think this is the plan which would cause us problems:panic:

Bushpig
21-09-2008, 01:42 PM
So am I right in thinking that nurseries get government aid, but childminders only do if they are accredited?

How do you go about becoming accredited?

Chimps Childminding
21-09-2008, 01:54 PM
One of my parents can already have a space at the local nursery (funded) for ther daughter as she is 3, but wants her to be at "home" so has kept her with me!:clapping: However a lot of parents will use this option, especially if they only work part-time and can work around nursery hours etc.

I know its been said before that the government aren't trying to get rid of childminders, but with the EYFS and now this, it does make me wonder!:(

Some of the parents we have can already have upto 12 months maternity leave, and if funding is to become available from 2, we will only have a 12 month slot where a childminder may be needed! :angry:

miffy
21-09-2008, 02:23 PM
but there be only geting 15 hours a week so only 3 hours a day
which every 3 year old can get at the moment anywhers there will jsut be getting it from 2 years old instead of 3 years old

and some people wont childminders for there children not a nuresy

In this area there is a choice to use the sessions to provide full day care with a small charge for supervision at lunchtime - breakfast and after-school clubs cover either end of the school/playgroup day. The local school also allows parents to pay for extra sessions to make up a full day for the fifth session.

This means parents (especially those working part-time) can cover their working hours very cheaply.

I agree some parents would choose a childminder over a nursery or playgroup but not many would miss the chance to save money.

Miffy xx

miffy
21-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Just had news on. They are saying that this could not happen overnight and could take up t 10 years to roll out so we do have time to fight our corner. Personally I think it is just an election ploy.

Cx

I'm sure I've read somewhere that this has been trialed in a few areas already.

Can't remember where I read it though

Miffy xx

Jules27
21-09-2008, 05:56 PM

Cx

Have to agree with this being an election ploy, I believe old Mr Brown is grasping at straws ting to save his sinking ship. What better way to go about it than making promises aimed at hard working families. What he hasn't said is where the money would be coming from to fund these places, have to get it from somewhere.........

Chatterbox Childcare
21-09-2008, 08:55 PM
This is why it's worth looking into becoming accredited, if the scheme is available in your area. Then you will be able to offer the parents the free sessions.

It's not available everywhere, I know and that's a real shame because we still have the advantage over nurseries of lower ratios and a wider variety of learning opportunities for little ones. As it stands, it's all coming down to the money at the end of the day.

And as a parent, I don't think 5 sessions is really good for a 2 yr old. My DD, who loves school and is eager to take part in new adventures, was a real ratbag at 2 yrs old after each session and she only went twice a week for 2 1/2 hours (not funded). She came home completely wound up, screaming, having tantrums because she was overloaded. Not that she didn't enjoy herself whilst there, it's just at that age, they get so tired and overstimulated. They're still babies!

I agree with Tatia and you must lobby your local council and NCMA if there isn't a network in your area that you can join to be accredited.

You won't lose out if you give parents choices.

I also know that it has taken the council 3 years to get funding down to 3 year olds from 3 year olds, so how long with the 2 year old take?

There are only so many spaces out there and nurseries won't be able to fill them all.

angeldelight
22-09-2008, 06:55 AM
I am accredited,

But .............

Parents for some reason DO NOT think it is the same

For some reason they always turn round and say " Yes but they get more education at the nursery "

To be honest I have never had a parent that has come to me to use the free hours

It is my parents now with younger children that I mind that are interested and hope to use it in the future

Not sure why I bothered really but time will tell I guess

I have a child that comes to me and uses the free hours at nursery and comes to me before and after
They still have to pay me although they could get the same from me
It does not make sense to me
What really makes me laugh they always moan that nursery does not do half of what I do with their daughter - so why take her then?
They must be happy with my service because she is here till 6 every day and intend for her to be here through school etc
Weird !

Free places always seems to be aimed more at nurserys anyway I think

Angel xx

wendywu
22-09-2008, 07:31 AM
If it is going to take 10 years to bring in i will be retired by then :clapping:

Bushpig
22-09-2008, 07:37 AM
If it is going to take 10 years to bring in i will be retired by then :clapping:

:laughing: :laughing:

tashaleee
22-09-2008, 06:49 PM
I agree with Tatia and you must lobby your local council and NCMA if there isn't a network in your area that you can join to be accredited.

You won't lose out if you give parents choices.

I also know that it has taken the council 3 years to get funding down to 3 year olds from 3 year olds, so how long with the 2 year old take?

There are only so many spaces out there and nurseries won't be able to fill them all.

The problem I have is that I could easily become accredited BUT I would actually earn less than I do at the moment. I can therefore see no logic in becoming accredited, doing more paperwork than the vast amount I already do and then earning less money for being accredited :eek: unfortunately makes no sense at all to me.....:(