PDA

View Full Version : do you know if...

jmoff
19-09-2008, 08:00 PM
we can let a 9 year old go upstairs (to the loo for example) by themselves?
I know we are meant to keep an eye on children at all times but would it apply to a 9 year old? Dont know where I could find it in Eyfs...

Thank you!

Jana x

katickles
19-09-2008, 08:03 PM
My friend recently had her inspection & the inspector was fine with her 3, nearly 4 year old mindee going up by themself

JoeBloggs
19-09-2008, 08:03 PM
The EYFS only covers 0 - 8's, anything over it does not apply too. so there fine to do so in my eyes

balloon
19-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Isn't there something about them having to be in our sight or hearing at all times? If he's only upstairs you could hear him if he needed help...

charleyfarley
19-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I was told that if they don't need help with usng the toilet they can go up on their own but that was years ago.
I'd say a 9 year old was ok to go on their own anyway

Carol xx

buildingblocks
19-09-2008, 11:23 PM
As soon as mine are able to go to the toilet I let them go upstairs on their on (it goes in stages me going with them, me standing at the bottom of stairs then to them going and me going have you flushed, washed hands, etc ) but I am registered for the whole house. Presumably though your upstairs must be registered for them to use the toilet anyway. Certainly at 9 they ould be allowed on their own. My over 8's get to go upstairs to one of the bedrooms to play on the DS out of hte way of lo's only occcasionally for 15 mins but gives them breathing space occasionally

miffy
20-09-2008, 07:08 AM
The EYFS only covers 0 - 8's, anything over it does not apply too. so there fine to do so in my eyes

According to Sarahnev (and she knows more about EYFS than most of us put together) EYFS covers young people up to 17 years old.

Miffy xx

sarah707
20-09-2008, 07:13 AM
To clarify...

The Eyfs covers up to the end of the age for being a child... as covered by the 'Unicef Rights of the Child'

The Convention generally defines a child as any person under the age of 18, unless an earlier age of majority is recognized by a country's law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_on_the_Rights_of_the_Child#cite_note-0

The Learning and development requirements of the Eyfs cover to the end of the Reception year at school...

The Ofsted inspection covers up to 8 years of age, after which Ofsted are only concerned if an older child's needs impact on the care of little ones in the house :D

miffy
20-09-2008, 07:17 AM
I'm glad that's sorted Sarah - thanks

Miffy xx

LOOPYLISA
20-09-2008, 07:39 AM
As soon as mine are able to go to the toilet I let them go upstairs on their on (it goes in stages me going with them, me standing at the bottom of stairs then to them going and me going have you flushed, washed hands, etc ) but I am registered for the whole house. Presumably though your upstairs must be registered for them to use the toilet anyway. Certainly at 9 they ould be allowed on their own. My over 8's get to go upstairs to one of the bedrooms to play on the DS out of hte way of lo's only occcasionally for 15 mins but gives them breathing space occasionally

My upstairs isnt registered and the only toilet and separate bathroom in the house are up there?

Hannahlg
20-09-2008, 08:17 AM
we have a little boy who is 3 next month and he gose upstrais on his own and he in the youngest one we have who is potty trained. But we can here them if there shout as the playroom where we the childminding is right under the bathroom

Pudding Girl
20-09-2008, 08:42 AM
My upstairs isnt registered and the only toilet and separate bathroom in the house are up there?

you dont have a downstairs bathroom then? I am very surprised this wasn't picked up on when you registered?? If your upstairs isn't registered you cannot use it.

devoncm
20-09-2008, 10:55 AM
you dont have a downstairs bathroom then? I am very surprised this wasn't picked up on when you registered?? If your upstairs isn't registered you cannot use it.

Ofsted do usually register toilet and bathroom as the children obviously need to use it and is common sense to-but we are talking bout ofsted:rolleyes:

LOOPYLISA
20-09-2008, 11:04 AM
She JUST ASKED IF I WAS REGISTERING UPSTAIRS I SAID NO AND SHE SEEMED FINE WITH THAT, I THINK THEY HAVE RULES FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE SOMETIMES! ooppss caps lock on ! x

LisaH
20-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Most of my mindees take themselves to the toilet (it's upstairs). They are only allowed to go one at a time tho!!! My 5yr old ds went with 6yr old mindee and they made a right mess!!! The little divvels. Lol.

My registration say's 'must not use upstairs, except for the bathroom' :)

buildingblocks
24-09-2008, 08:46 AM

Now I am confused surely Ofsted had to register use of toilet and bathroom if they are the only ones you have