PDA

View Full Version : another child lost to breakfast club1

sarahstanbridge
19-09-2008, 09:18 AM
well, not happy today. already lost 1 girl to the schools new breakfast club which opened in september and this morning i lthe other girl i look after gave notice. how am i meant to compete with £1.50 per morning! the breakfast club has lost me £150 a month i really cant afford to lose. i am not the only one who is having this problem here. any advertising hints would be great as it has gone really quite here. i have updated my website, cis, informed vacancy co ordinater have signs in the car, in shop windows, and parents places of work. tried doctors , but they wont put them up. school wont and they are looking at opening an after school club after half term so may lose another child to that. playgroup had sign up but still nothing. sorry really wanted to vent my frustation here. i feel better now. thanks for reading

sarah707
19-09-2008, 09:32 AM
£1.50 a morning??? That's ridiculous! :(

This is a good thread for advertising ideas -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4171&highlight=advertising

I just wanted to send you supportive wishes. xx

berkschick
19-09-2008, 09:34 AM
We have the same problem here. Ours is £2 per session but I am £3.65 per hour!

The breakfast club doesnt open until 7.45am so I adjusted my times so open earlier than them.

I have literally just signed contracts this morning for a little girl coming from breakfast club to me as the parents need to drop her at 7.30am from now on.

barbarella68
19-09-2008, 09:43 AM
I have the opposite problem(well not a problem really)the before and after school club has finished after 3 years because of lack of children.This week I have had 5 calls for before and after school but I only have a 5 seater car and already have 3 before and after schoolers,so unfortunately have had to say no,which is a pain because I could have done with the money.But at least I have had interest.
If you ladies were not so far away I would give them your phone numbers.

tulip0803
19-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Our school has a FREE government funded breakfast club:( . And children start full time school the term of their 4th birthday:( . And they can attend breakfast club when they start full time school.:( .

BUT their afterschool club is rubbish and isn't running at the moment due to maternity leave. When it does run it is 3 days a week until 5 and subject to a moments cancellation. Which is good for the minders here:clapping:

tinkerbelle
19-09-2008, 10:52 AM
are these children term time only or has the mum not htought about care for hols etc.
i had one mum who was going to use the before and after club but also needed care during hols so i told her if she wanted a place for hols she would have to pay retainer fee during term time also, think this may have put her off after school club and child is still with me a bit sneaky really but it worked for me
have you tried the local play areas they sometimes put up adverts and local shops another thing i did was write to hospitals and manufacturers asking if they could put my card in their canteen/staff room etc had a few calls from this
anything is worth a try.

LeeAnn
19-09-2008, 11:39 AM
hmm I hadnt even thought abouthow the school breakfast club might affect my business ( if I EVER get registered :rolleyes: ) it only costs 42p for breakfast club at our local school. I am not sure I could even make breakfast for myself for that amount!

x x x x

LOOPYLISA
19-09-2008, 11:42 AM
hmm I hadnt even thought abouthow the school breakfast club might affect my business ( if I EVER get registered :rolleyes: ) it only costs 42p for breakfast club at our local school. I am not sure I could even make breakfast for myself for that amount!

x x x x
Sorry changing the subject-love your pictue x

LeeAnn
19-09-2008, 11:44 AM
aww thankyou, it is definitely one of my faves :)

Little Pumpkins
19-09-2008, 11:47 AM
god thats low the clubs here charge £5 per an our and a half session

Mrs.L.C
19-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Its a nightmare. I have this problem with holiday clubs. Luckily our school breakfast club is not registered so parents cant claim tax credits. They attempted an after school club but it just wasnt financially worth it and they struggled to get qualified staff so it fell through luckily for us childminders here. The only other after school club who collect at out school can only pick up 10 children.

Unfortunately I dont think you can compete finacialy.....its not worth getting out of bed for but maybe you could remind parents its a long day being at scool from 7.30 - when ever and ok its cheaper but what are they offereing? Here my before schoolers can just chill on a comfy sofa, in a home environemnt, have breakfast, watch abit of telly and wake up alittle more before going to school

Hope you find some replacements soon

LittleStars
19-09-2008, 01:11 PM
I have the same problem with afterschool club..Its £6 per child per session. Where as I charge £5-£6 per hour for afterschoolers. I could drop the price I suppose but as I provide snacks and supper I just wouldn't be making any money!

At the moment I don't have any afterschoolers at all :(

Mrs.L.C
19-09-2008, 01:17 PM
I have the same problem with afterschool club..Its £6 per child per session. Where as I charge £5-£6 per hour for afterschoolers. I could drop the price I suppose but as I provide snacks and supper I just wouldn't be making any money!

At the moment I don't have any afterschoolers at all :(

I charge £10 per session or £3.75 after school incl tea time snack, fruit and drinks. you could reduce the price but tell parents they will have to pay extra for meals

Rubybubbles
19-09-2008, 01:51 PM
sorry to here this hun:(

I am lucky TBH I open at 7:30 breakfast club at 7:45 I charge £3.40 per hour, breakfast club is £6.75 from 7:45-9, and £6.57 3:15-5:30 so I work out cheaper:clapping:

and more flexible ofcourse

wish you luck hun, keeping fingers crossed

Mollymop
19-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Breakfast clubs and after school clubs, even holiday clubs are a right pain in the butt!! £12 for a full day in the holidays!! My full day would cost a parent £33! I can not compete. Only good thing for me is, they always seem full.

sarahstanbridge
19-09-2008, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=tinkerbelle;231514]are these children term time only or has the mum not htought about care for hols etc.

term time only

sarahstanbridge
19-09-2008, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=topchick_dav;231558]parents its a long day being at scool from 7.30 they are only seeing the pound signs i think. they really dont seem bothered about the amount of time at the club. also the food is extra value ranges so full of colours etc to send they kids hypo. i say you get what you pay for.

angeldelight
19-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Sorry to hear that Sarah

Hope you get some new calls soon

Angel xx

chels55
20-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Our local schools have a free breakfast club, funded by the government. I havent lost any mindees yet

Hannahlg
20-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Well the afterschool club at the school where we pick up from dosent affect us at all. You have to be the "right" person to get a place. We have just started with a boy and girl and mum phoned up afterschool to see if there could get a place and never phoned back or anything

manjay
20-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Our local schools have a free breakfast club, funded by the government. I havent lost any mindees yet

We do too. It's a Welsh Assembly initiative. I don't have any before schoolers. Breakfast club here is free with healthy breakfast provided.