PDA

View Full Version : personal hygiene question

suet
19-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Hello there,
I went to my 2nd pre-briefing last night and have some homework for next week. I just wanted to double check a couple of questions if anyone can help me please.

It asks what you need to provide as a childminder to enable hand washing. There were 4 points.
I have put down Running water (not too hot), Soap, Paper Towels and a sink (bathroom or downstairs toilet)

Another was where do most germs collect on hands not properly washed?

I have answered Under the nails but should I add that the whole hand is a breeding place if not properly washed?

Thanks in advance for any help:thumbsup:

Sue t

sarah707
19-09-2008, 07:59 AM
I would be tempted to put 'sturdy step or stool' instead of sink as the question is asking about enabling children...

What kind of soap were you thinking because block soap is not recommended? The best, I think, is the foaming soap free handwash (soap free because of lanolin allergies)

The paper towels could be single use cloth towels as well.

And yes under nails, between fingers... the whole hand.

Lots of advice here - http://www.washyourhandsofthem.com/

suet
19-09-2008, 08:08 AM
I would be tempted to put 'sturdy step or stool' instead of sink as the question is asking about enabling children...

What kind of soap were you thinking because block soap is not recommended? The best, I think, is the foaming soap free handwash (soap free because of lanolin allergies)

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of foaming soap but will add soap free to it. Never thought to put sturdy step but will now :thumbsup:
I has put seperate towels as well as paper ones tho

Mrs.L.C
19-09-2008, 08:14 AM
This is an interesting question. Not sure if you would want to ask but they always state seperate hand towels for the children whilst in our care but why? If the child has washed their hands then they will be clean

Chatterbox Childcare
19-09-2008, 08:17 AM
I have the anti bacterial gel for my children and that way they do not need individual towels

On my food hygiene course we were all give hand lotion and the place that most people don't wash was the thumb and that is where the germs are.

Mrs.L.C
19-09-2008, 08:28 AM
I have the anti bacterial gel for my children and that way they do not need individual towels

On my food hygiene course we were all give hand lotion and the place that most people don't wash was the thumb and that is where the germs are.

We use anit bac hand wash as well. Have ofsted commented on it at all?

Mollymop
19-09-2008, 08:33 AM
My cloakroom looks what you might see in a nursery toilet area! It has a stool for the children to wash their hands at the sink, a soap (foaming soap wash) dispenser and a paper towel dispenser on the wall and bin for them to put them. I have posters on the wall to show the children when they should wash their hands and how to wash them properly.
Germs breed under finger nails and inbetween the fingers - the whole hand really.

suet
19-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. Its great to know you are out there:) :)

Mollymop
19-09-2008, 08:35 AM
This is an interesting question. Not sure if you would want to ask but they always state seperate hand towels for the children whilst in our care but why? If the child has washed their hands then they will be clean

Yes I always thought that, unless the children decide to wipe their noses on the shared towel.

suet
19-09-2008, 08:38 AM

Just looked on the site you recommended and downloaded some great posters:thumbsup:

sarah707
19-09-2008, 09:45 AM

Even clean hands can spread infections like athletes foot, ringworm, threadworm, thrush and staphylococcus.

Not worth the risk for the sake of a clean towel...

I use face flannels - 6 for £1 and they go straight into a lidded bin after each use. :D

tinkerbelle
19-09-2008, 09:48 AM
its also the wrists this was told to our group on a hygiene course

Mrs.L.C
19-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Even if we had separate hand towels, if there are still germs etc on hands these are going to get passed round regardless whether they use their own towel or not on door handles and toys etc

I only have 1 bathroom so if I was to have separate towels for every child, Id need 10 hooks & towels and if I just used them like I do flannels for washing faces and put them in the laundry bin after use id need about 50 a day which all need washing

Obviously if caring overnight and bath/shower children id use a clean towel