PDA

View Full Version : Sand pit or big tray for messy play?

Ripeberry
18-09-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm just wondering whether to have a sand pit or just get a massive plastic tray and put it on legs so they can have messy play with mud, leaves, gloop, water basically anything BUT sand.
Sand just seems such a pain as it gets thrown around, they get it in their eyes and you've got to keep the cats out of it.
What would you recommend?

Rubybubbles
18-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I got a sand pit in the sales from tesco's, it's not yet had sand in it:laughing:

I also have cat litter trays (thanks Sarah 007:thumbsup: ) for indivual activities

Wendy Woo
18-09-2008, 02:10 PM
i also have the tesco sale sand pit and the kids love it and there isnt normally that much sand on the floor at the end of day which shocked me!!!!

have had to ban big ones from it tho as they get very silly in it at times and thats wen i find it on the floor!!!!!

i to do smaller activities in smaller trays for raing days etc etc

PaulaR
18-09-2008, 03:13 PM
litter trays what a good idea. Off the buy a litter tray

Angela234
18-09-2008, 05:35 PM
I have a sand and water table did have a sand pit as well but got broken.

i have now brought two large trays from garden centre 2ft - 2ft which i use indoors and out on a table or on the floor with sand mud compost cornflakes anything so easy for younger ones as the sides are only about 2" deep I also use smaller individual ones for gloop ect.

Angela

miffy
18-09-2008, 07:37 PM
I have a tuf spot - little ones like it as they can get in it if it's on the floor.

I use cat litter trays too for some messy activities - just depends how much space you have.

Miffy xx

donnahay0
18-09-2008, 07:41 PM
I have got both. I had the sand table first and got the tuff tray about 6 months ago. For my mindees they prefer the tuff tray - today it had sand and digger truck in. I think they like it because they can get in it. They also have more room to spread around - they can drive the trucks around and have more room to share.

The smaller ones are a good idea for indoors too.

LittleStars
19-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Whats a tuff spot?? What am I missing???

Hate missing things!

Please link someone?

Polly2
21-09-2008, 09:21 AM
I have sand table which I put on a sheet of plastic so that I can tip sand back in table at the end of play.

I also have a water table separate because I got sick of the lo's mixing the sand and water (bit sad of me I know:o ) it just made so much mess!!

I would be interested to know where you all got your tuff spot from and how much??

miss mopple
21-09-2008, 09:26 AM
I have a sand table, tuff spot and water tray (well, a baby bath that I use for it), as well as a smaller finger paint tray that I use for messy play if I only have 1 child here.

The tuff spot was £15 from homebase and I wouldnt be without it as its so versatile :D

miss mopple
21-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Whats a tuff spot?? What am I missing???

Hate missing things!

Please link someone?

http://www.tts-group.co.uk/Product.aspx?cref=TTSPR594135

WARNING!!! There is lots of fab stuff on this site so I am not responsible for your credit card :laughing:

Polly2
21-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for link - what kinds of things do you put in it?

miss mopple
21-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Anything you like :D

Messy play:
Playdough
Ice
Cornflakes
Rainbow Rice
Gloop
Jelly
Paint
Sand
Leaves/twigs etc (bury minibest toys in for a treasure hunt)
Shaving foam
Porridge oats
paper mache

Or its great for containing things like marble run, duplo ect

We made ours into a planet a while ago with scrunched up paper and sparkly fabric over the top- the kids loved it :thumbsup:

Polly2
21-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Sounds great!

I do have some litter trays that I have been using but this looks bigger - more children can play at once.

LittleStars
22-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Wow they are brill :-)

Have just spent a fortune on the credit card lol!!!!

Im sure I spend more than I earn lol