PDA

View Full Version : Washing Lines

singlewiththree
18-09-2008, 01:21 PM
I have my washing line across my garden, I have read in the standards that you cant have a washing line across the play area. I'm thinking of getting a retracting one fitted but then I will still have to put it out in the day as I need to get washing dry sometimes other than my tumble dryer. Do you use a rotary?

avril
18-09-2008, 01:32 PM
I use a rotary but another cm friend of mine uses a line across her garden and a prop to lift it high, ofsted said it was fine at her inspection.

tashaleee
18-09-2008, 01:35 PM
I use a normal line with a prop.... where does it say in the standards we cant do that any more?

Polly2
18-09-2008, 01:41 PM
I also use a normal line - its too high for children to reach

melanieabigail2004
18-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I've got a rotary which is either up if children are out playing or I have a cover for it.

Mel

Annie_T
18-09-2008, 02:59 PM
i have a rotary, coz my base is not a fixed base i have to take mine down and cover the line sor safty when i mind, tho i did say prob wont use back garden much anyhow as it bricke and no grass.

PaulaR
18-09-2008, 03:12 PM
I hadn't even thought about washing lines. At least #I'm prepared now if Ofsted ask.

Mags
18-09-2008, 03:17 PM
My inspector told me that i would have to remove my washing line.???

christine e
18-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I have my washing line across my garden, I have read in the standards that you cant have a washing line across the play area. I'm thinking of getting a retracting one fitted but then I will still have to put it out in the day as I need to get washing dry sometimes other than my tumble dryer. Do you use a rotary?

Could you let us all know where in the standards it says this please? I've looked in suitable premises, environment and equipment and can't see it - perhaps I have not looked hard enough though so would appreciate some guidance

Cx

LOOPYLISA
18-09-2008, 04:14 PM
This and my pool was the only thing ofstead pulled me up on at my pre reg she said if my line is up thats fine if its down it needs a cover(its a rotary) hth x:D

singlewiththree
19-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Cant find the regulations anywhere will have a good look later on, I have to work today :( Maybe I dreamt it!

angeldelight
19-09-2008, 07:36 AM
I have a washing line that goes through the whole length of my garden and through the area the children play

It is so high that I have to stand on tip toe myself haha

I just risk ass / make sure I know the dangers / dont leave children alone etc

Its always been fine and never a problem

Angel xx

Mrs M
19-09-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm not sure where it's mentioned either but I've heard that you're not allowed washing lines. This bothered me as we are supposed to be providing a home from home and surely the parents of the children we mind hang their washing out to dry!!! Therefore, I have compromised and bought a retractable line. The washing is sometimes out when the mindees are here but they are never left alone in the garden anyway and the line is high enough that they can't hurt themselves. They just sometimes throw mud at my clean washing!!!

Mollymop
19-09-2008, 08:52 AM
I have a line across my garden and a prop, but now thinking about it, I suppose the prop could be a hazard if the children ran into it and knocked it flying

tinkerbelle
19-09-2008, 11:05 AM
i also have a prop and line my insector has never said anything about it i would have thought the rotary line was more dangerous than a regular line as children can tangle themselves init ill have to ask next inspection

wendywu
19-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I was told the same as LIsa and i have a rotary. But i had always thought that a washing line and prop was a no no as far as Ofsted was concerned.:panic:

louised
19-09-2008, 03:46 PM
I have a washing line with a prop and ofsted made no comment about it. The prop cannot fall if it is knocked as it hooks onto the washing line.

Nicki L
19-09-2008, 05:29 PM
I've got a rotary which is either up if children are out playing or I have a cover for it.

Mel

Me too - ofsted were fine with it x

lissy
19-09-2008, 07:06 PM
What about the wall fixed rotary line?

Rubybubbles
19-09-2008, 08:50 PM
:rolleyes: what ever next!

My last house had a line, I got a good and washing line not mentioned!

I have a rotary in new house it is always full of washing! I have a cover go on it when not in use

good idea for risk assement on it Angel! another one for the growing folder:eek:

Chimps Childminding
19-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I have a washing line and prop, never been mentioned during inspection.

Surely we can't be expected not to be able to have washing out whilst minding. I work from 7.30 to 6 most days and have a family of 6. If I couldn't have washing out whilst minding I would never keep on top of it escpecially now its getting damp in the evenings!

Cazz
21-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I have a washing line and prop, never been mentioned during inspection.

Surely we can't be expected not to be able to have washing out whilst minding. I work from 7.30 to 6 most days and have a family of 6. If I couldn't have washing out whilst minding I would never keep on top of it escpecially now its getting damp in the evenings!

Exactly what I was thinking! I'm amazed to read about this. Children are probably supervised better in a childminder's garden than they are at home and most parents put their washing out - my children have never had a problem with the washing (apart from dh complaining that it's in the way of the goal as he wouldn't dare hit it with a football!)

The hours worked by a childminder in a home environment mean that you would have to be able to do such things as hanging your washing out - after all you don't want to spend the whole weekend catching up with your laundry and it normally rains then anyway!

Carole x