View Full Version : Childminders in other countries

17-09-2008, 08:24 PM
This may sound daft but are there childminders in other countries (other than Wales of course :) I was just thinking if there are perhaps trying to get in touch with them online and swap cultural information?

I did this with a group of friends around the UK who met online we sent postcards of where we lived. Obviously interesting but not as interesting as cultural stuff from another country. Perhaps swap a shoe box with UK things in and get one back from their country. Would make an excellent thing for older children to do.

Just a thought.

17-09-2008, 08:27 PM
There are a couple of members from New Zealand or is it Australia - sorry ladies I can't remember

Sounds a good idea but don't know which other countries have childminders

Miffy xx

17-09-2008, 09:10 PM
There are a couple of members from New Zealand or is it Australia - sorry ladies I can't remember

Sounds a good idea but don't know which other countries have childminders

Miffy xx

Yes they are from New Zealand - Julie and Helen

I have no idea where they are lately though they must be busy

I will be writing to Helen soon so I could ask her about this

Angel xx

17-09-2008, 09:13 PM
These are our US counterparts


17-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks Pip

Are you a member ?


17-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I did register with them a long time ago but for the life of me I cannot remember my log in details - will reregister.

Their forum is like a "twin" of this one and they had lots of resources on as well.

Perhaps we could "twin" up!!! lol

17-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Might be interesting though to see how they do things

Thanks for that

Angel xx

17-09-2008, 09:55 PM
You are welcome Angel

18-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for teh link to the amercian site. Not that I have any more hours in the day to sit at the computer but there's plenty of activity ideas

19-09-2008, 05:56 PM
In South Africa the childminder equivalent is a day mother. Like a mini nursery.

19-09-2008, 07:39 PM
there are childminders in france too.


19-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I was once contacted by a lady who was a childminder in Turkey, but we lost touch. :(

20-09-2008, 06:47 AM
In The States, it's called baby sitting but you can be as professional or un-professional as you like. It isn't regulated at all where I was from. SOme areas might be different. You just set up shop with noone to oversee unless you joined an agency (Comprehensive Community Childcare) or Social Services. But you didn't have to. When my eldest daughter was a baby, I babysat through 4Cs (the agency which inspected unannounced once a year) and Social Services and was also on their protective custody role, which meant children in care were sent to me when their foster parents/carers were at work (also meant tons of horrid child protection courses:( ). SS paid me directly which was good and inspected on a regular basis (like 1 unannounced a year and 2 planned).

30-09-2008, 09:13 AM
oooooooooooooo interesting........ will be having a look.............. thankyou

oh an I think pairing up with them is a great idea!:clapping:

30-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Sounds a great idea.....I'd def be up for it

30-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Ive just left my 1st hello message :blush:

:laughing: their gonna be running around shouting "the britts are comming! the britts are comming!" haha!:laughing:

30-09-2008, 09:38 AM
are the 16 guests on this site all of us haha

30-09-2008, 09:40 AM
I have a friend in Italy who says children can't be looked after in the home by childminders. She says they have to go to a nursery setting.