PDA

View Full Version : School hols payment

Polly2
17-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Those of you who have children of teachers

May I ask - what do you charge during the 6 wk holiday? I am thinking of charging half fees during other school hols but 6 wks seems a long time.

If they were occasionally using me then I wouldn't mind but I don't think they will.

Also I know I could fill space with school age children. Was wondering what you all do???

Thanks x

Minstrel
17-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Why not just have a term time only contract? They just pay for the childcare during the term and in hols they dont pay you but on the condition that they place is not available. then you can fill with holiday only children.

maple
17-09-2008, 01:12 PM
I charge half price for all the holidays including the 6 weeks hols because when I looked into it that is what local nurserires do.:)

jellytot
17-09-2008, 01:16 PM
i do term time only. also if you do charge half fee over hols you cannot fill that place if someone requires it. the place has to be avaible for the paying parents.

yummymummy
17-09-2008, 01:45 PM
It is a hard one, I have always charged 1/2 for term time only pre schoolers but not for children at school. If you decide to do term time only and not charge to keep the place open do your homework locally to see if there is a call for holiday care. In my area due to high numbers of extended schools and holiday clubs there is really no call for it so if your area is anything like mine you could be really losing out.

Chatterbox Childcare
17-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I have term time contracts and holiday contracts as I have children who have been with me since babies who go to school and want places.

If you aren't in this position I would suggest a 50% retainer for the holidays or a higher rate in term time.

With things as they are you may not get the contract if you overcharge.

kindredspirits
17-09-2008, 03:26 PM
With my after schoolers i have told them if they want the space they pay full fees - i.e a full day, and if they dont want the space they have to pay what they have been paying for after school and i will keep the after school hours free for them. if i can find a replacement for that holiday an they dont want the space then they dont have to pay. :rolleyes: you need waaay too much tact in this job or youd get taken for a ride.

a nnx

Jules12Wed
17-09-2008, 06:17 PM
I've had a girl for the past two years her Mum is a teacher so I have her term time only. I used to charge half fee for all holidays. As she is now starting school I was not sure whether for the holidays it should be half fee of a full day or half fee of the before and after school charge. I therefore just done £75 per week and multiplied this by 50 (allowing me to have two weeks holiday) and then I divided it by 11 months. I then explained to the Mum that when XX starts school I have worked out a monthly fee which comes to £340 every month except August which is free (effectively its not as I have just divided the amount by 11 instead of 12.

Twinkles
17-09-2008, 06:47 PM
The fee paid by the teachers I work for is to keep a place for them for the next term , not to keep a place available should they want it in the holidays.
Therefore I have taken on a few holiday only children. All my parents know this and are happy with the arrangement.
I work for so many teachers I would be skint if I didn't do this.
They know ,however , that I would do my best to fit them in if at all possible in an emergency.

Polly2
18-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts and I can see that everyone works differently according to your area.

I think I will do a term time only contract as I almost always get parents asking for holiday cover.

Thanks x

katickles
18-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi Holly - I do term time only contracts & charge 1/2 rate retainers for all holidays, unless I fil all my places with holiday care.

My parents are all happy with this aswell :)

Hannahlg
18-09-2008, 05:26 PM
well all our mindes only get 5 weeks hoilday on half fee's anymore then it is fullfee's