PDA

View Full Version : advice please, Just one boy being

emmadines
17-09-2008, 07:14 AM
a complet strop each day coz he cant get his own way!

yesterday it was because I asked them all to sit at the table till everyone was finished their afterschool snack. this boy constantly got up, walked of climbed on the chair (not sitting on it) etc etc so I kept telling him to sit back on they chair.
I expect my children to do the same, Im awear that its not the most fun thing to. so he then throws a strop and I ean, holding his breath and crying and completly shutting himself off from the group, then because he dosent want items of lego he throws them over his back (which I did tell him not to!!)

today he comes in and finds the lego is all broken up in its box (which he was told) and he does the same!!! then all I get id Jake (my son) has "his" bit of lego or Jake "you've stolen this and that off of me" :angry:

I have just had it again, I have told him that the lego actually belongs to jake and that he is sharing it with every boy and girl here! (it is actually Jakes lego)

Ive spoken to his parents and thats all I can really do, I know hes doing the strop for attention reasons! as I just told him that I dont want to hear that "you stole this or you stole that off of me" and that if he wants to throw a wobbly then go for it as I will not be paying any attention to him! and lo and behold the strop stopped!

have I done the right thing? Ive also told him that if he or anyone else continues with the behaivour then the lego will no longer be comming out for play!

melanieabigail2004
17-09-2008, 07:53 AM
I'd have already taken the lego away. :)

Tell him something like that we don't have strops in this house and go and play with the other children - if he sees you are doing something fun he'll stop and come and join in. If he doesn't, leave him alone to get on with it. Best to ignore them when they get like that in my opinion.

Keep at it and he'll eventually realise its not working and give up. He is probably testing the boundaries to see what he can get away with.

Have you explained house rules etc - e.g we sit down at the table etc.

You could always try a reward chart if he does as you ask him to.

Good luck

Mel :)

Mrs.L.C
17-09-2008, 08:00 AM
My friend (a childminder) has just taken on a child from another minder (the minder gave parents notice because iv similar reasons you have stated above). She said shes been ignoring her tantrums which are from not getting her own way. She has had to sit her down and say I will talk to you when you have calmed down and each time the child came up to her shouting and screaming etc she ignored her. 10 mins later she calmed down and the minder spoke to the child saying she wont get her attention by doing that and if she is not happy with something she should come and speak to her calmly. This has happened a couple of times but seems to be starting to work and they are becoming less frequent. She has also given her responsibility of a little bear now and again which has also helped

Good luck

emmadines
17-09-2008, 08:02 AM
My friend (a childminder) has just taken on a child from another minder (the minder gave parents notice because iv similar reasons you have stated above). She said shes been ignoring her tantrums which are from not getting her own way. She has had to sit her down and say I will talk to you when you have calmed down and each time the child came up to her shouting and screaming etc she ignored her. 10 mins later she calmed down and the minder spoke to the child saying she wont get her attention by doing that and if she is not happy with something she should come and speak to her calmly. This has happened a couple of times but seems to be starting to work and they are becoming less frequent. She has also given her responsibility of a little bear now and again which has also helped

Good luck

in what way??

Paula J
17-09-2008, 08:39 AM
This one takes me back little girl in question is now 9 and still with me when she started at 2 she was terrible she would strop, scream till she went blue, kick bang her head on the floor anything and everything if she didnt get everything her way. She was asked to leave her previous minder for similar reasons and mum had in fairness warned me how bad she was!!!! It took patience and hard work I simply removed her to the hall way away from disrupting the others put the gates up so she couldnt get out of the hall and left her till she stopped 3/4 of an hour was her record (we still joke about it now) but after a couple of weeks it began to dawn on her that she was missing out she began to calm quicker. As soon as she was calm I asked her to join us praised her for calming down, reward chart and stickers for each play session she had managed to not have a paddy. Keep calm count to 10 and remove the lego if he cant play nicely he will learn :mad: Paula

emmadines
17-09-2008, 01:18 PM
how horrid does this sound??

im dreading picking up time (im not going to last as a minder at this rate am i??)

Mrs.L.C
17-09-2008, 03:20 PM
You will be fine. It does take time. As regards to the bear that you asked in which way?....The childminder has a little bear on the handbag and when the child is being good shes says would you like to take bear to play and look after him until we ahve tea or you go home...does that make sence?

emmadines
17-09-2008, 05:55 PM
You will be fine. It does take time. As regards to the bear that you asked in which way?....The childminder has a little bear on the handbag and when the child is being good shes says would you like to take bear to play and look after him until we ahve tea or you go home...does that make sence?

not really. but i get the idea................ i think.:blush:

in the end today he did his own thing as my daughter decided that she was going to be sick over and over again!, called all of the mindees parent which all stated not to worry about it, as longs as i didnt mind, i didnt as it was only a couple of hours.