PDA

View Full Version : Contract - minimum hours question

pirateship
13-01-2008, 04:28 PM
I have a parent who wants to reduce their hours to one day a week - she has two days plus at the moment - as her little one loves coming to me but she is soon to be on maternity leave and so doesn't need me as much, is it reasonable for me to say that any days on top of this are to be charged at an overtime rate of £5 per hour (I charge £3.50 normally)?

She is one of these parents who changes her mind constantly about what days she wants, often telling me the night before that she needs me. I think this would just be a slight deterrent to her being so indecisive! What are your thoughts?
And what reason could I give her for doing this?

fionamal
13-01-2008, 05:25 PM
You would have to be careful that you dont lose her altogether especially as you may end up caring for her 2 children.

I would charge her as normal if it was full days she wanted but if it was just a few hours here and there then charge the higher rate.

deeb66
14-01-2008, 02:07 PM
I would also charge her the normal rate but be firm with her at the same time....

tell her that she cannot keep chopping her days around and that she must decided on the day/days she wants and STICK to it.

Hope this helps

sarah707
14-01-2008, 02:08 PM
:D I agree with Dee!

Do not let her muck you about - this is your business and you need a regular income! You cannot advertise a place if you don't know when it might be available... put yourself first! :D

angeldelight
14-01-2008, 02:09 PM
She sounds a bit of a pain

Be firm with her and stick to what the others say

Good luck

Angel xx

Banana
15-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Agree with the others!

If she wanted last minute arrangements then I would make it clear it will be charged at a higher fee per hour - should make her give you much more notice!!
x

chez1373
16-01-2008, 10:52 PM
I would charge extra if you dont know until th enight before that is very bad you cant plan anything and if you have planned something you might have to change this isnt good practise for you
Im kind of in the same situation dont get told the days until its way too late to do anything even though in contract it states 4 weeks notice of rota required!!!
Its stressfull as you dont know if you can take on another child i can only have 4 mindees so very frustrating so i know how you feel.
Stick to your guns easier said than done i know

miffy
17-01-2008, 07:54 AM
I agree with what the others say

tell her how difficult it is to work around such short notice and explain that you will need to charge the higher rate if she tells you at the last minute.

Good luck

Miffy xx

Banana
17-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Any update on this? Have you come to an arrangement with the parent??

x