PDA

View Full Version : b4 and after schoolers???????????

emmadines
16-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi I have 4 after schoolers ages ranging from 4 - 10. then I have my 2 one 2 and the other 6.
anyway Im waring out of ideas as to waht to do with them, I dont want the free playing all the time but want to do something with them (that when the 10 year olds here he can join in too.

at the moment we free play in the morning (7-90
3pm-5/6pm) we free play, snack time, free play then activity then more free play/tv or dvd.

is this too much free play???:blush:

what do you do with your before and afterschool.

Thanks

ps, Im hopping to do some baking tomorrow!!

Twinkles
16-09-2008, 07:12 PM
During term time it's mostly free play for after schoolers. They work hard during the day and need time to chill when they get home.
Make sure they have access to drawing materials, books etc and let them choose.

breezy
16-09-2008, 07:27 PM
We do crafts and go to the park alot, they seem to need to let off steam after school! I help the older ones if they want to do homework too. occasionally we swim when I have fewer kids.

emmadines
16-09-2008, 07:31 PM
i have thought about going to the park as they all love going into the garden, but im worried one of them will run off (most parks that are nearby are via a busy road):panic:

breezy
16-09-2008, 07:37 PM
You'd have to have strict rules about holding hands/buggies, walking not running etc road safety etc, but you'll find they co-operate if it means a trip out.
I usually team up the younger ones to hold older ones hands, it makes the older ones feel grown up and the younger ones behave!
Take a ball, skipping rope etc, they can let off steam then have wind down time at home. I also ask parents for wellies and scruffy clothes so I dont have to worry about them ruining school clothes!

Jill A
16-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi, I look after school-age children after school too. I agree that they need a certain amount of free-play after the rigourously scheduled & routined day at school. I tend to let them have a drink, snack & chat as soon as we get home & then ask them what they feel like doing (be guided by them). Sometimes they want to play board games & we all decide which to play, sometimes (usually once a week) we do an activity which may need finishing another day as time is often restricted. Today I took them all to a nearby pet store to see the animals/fish & we talked about their own pets & which pets need which food/bedding etc..
As time is so limited for after-school care I often involve the children with the preparation & cooking of the food, as well as the laying of the table, pouring drinks etc.. They all love to help & eat alot of food they would not try at home!
Don't beat yourself up too much about offering lots of free play; as long as you are guided by what you think they need you are doing a great job! Just have some outings & activities in mind for when the time is right.
Good luck!

Chatterbox Childcare
16-09-2008, 10:08 PM
My after schoolers love to do their own thing. I leave the boxes out after school that I have used during the day and they turn them into something. Today I had a Japanese set out and within the hour I had a kitchen, chef and restaurant serving sushi.

They also love dress up and turning my dining table into a den.

If the weather is nice we all go to the park or yesterday blackberry picking.

I wouldn't play too much when you have a range of children as they all get on together. I mostly supervise and tidy up!

Heaven Scent
16-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't have much time after school I get back about 3.40 and by the time the children sort out all their belongings and go to the loo etc its almost 4.00 and they get on with playing and I get tea ready and when thats ready they sit and have it at about 4.30 then by by the time they finish it at about 5.00 the first parents start collecting and that goes on until 6.45 so thy basically have time for a bit of free play before and after tea.

emmadines
17-09-2008, 06:55 AM
but where would I stand with the eyf's??