PDA

View Full Version : Cloth/Disposable nappies

Chell
13-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Do any of the children that you mind where cloth nappies?

Cammie Doodle
13-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Not at present but I have had them in the past

Trouble
13-01-2008, 03:45 PM
my new baby is going to have ones made from bambo!!!!!!:eek:

sarah707
13-01-2008, 03:51 PM
We've always used pampers or huggies here - never been asked to use cloth... are you doing a survey Chell or are you thinking ahead for the bump? :D

Chell
13-01-2008, 03:58 PM
I just wondered Sarah. A friend of mine posted on another forum about her DD starting at nursery and wondering how they would react to cloth nappies. It made me wonder how many childminders used them.

I think I will use them this time, I recycle everything else so it seems bad to throw nappies into a landfill site.

sarah707
13-01-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure how I would react to them tbh...

I'm not sure it would be particularly healthy to have a nappy bucket (even with a lid) in the corner of the loo (it's a very small house with a very small loo), there would be serious risk assessment processes to go through if children use the toilet independently (I don't want to have to follow them out to the toilet every blooming time they wee just in case they try to get into a nappy bucket and Ofsted don't like standing water in a bird bath so I'm not sure how they'd react to a bucket!) and I don't think I would like the idea of scraping a cloth nappy then flushing someone else's child's waste down the loo.

I wonder would it be smelly? How would I then pass nappies back to parents? I wouldn't want to be washing the things, my poor washer gets enough hammer with my ds who has cream on all his clothes!... I wouldn't want to be buying the sanitiser for soaking either, so parents would need to supply that...

I can see the positives Chell, especially landfill issues, but not sure how I would deal with the negatives...

Perhaps you can convert me? :D

Hopscotch
13-01-2008, 05:09 PM
One of the children i mind uses cloth nappies, i find them ok but i would not use them as they are not very absorbant at all.
The worst thing is when they have a poo and you have to try and scrape some out (bit graphic i know) the one i have them for gives me a bucket to put them in each day and they get washed. I don't think i would like to wash them.

Tily Bud
13-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I prefer to use disposables for the mindees x

mrsbumbles
13-01-2008, 06:39 PM
One of my mindees wore them, up untill recently, i was dreading it when she first started with me aged 7mths in proper folded cloth nappies with old fashioned pins ,But surprisingly they were ok, mum sent them prefolded with a liner in, so poo wash just flushed away .Dirty nappies were put in nappy sac's and put in a bin outside ready for the parent to collect and deal with herself. That child never used cream or got nappy rash and she was very easy to potty train. I would now think about using them, if i was to have another child, really opened my eyes and changed my way of thinking.

Monkey1
13-01-2008, 06:43 PM
One of mindees has terry nappies.they are revolting. Wouldn't do it if it was my choice.... but have to comply with parents wishes!

Twinkles
13-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I have - in the past- had a mindee who only wore cloth nappies. Not only did he need changing far more often, he was more prone to nappy rash and was quite restricted in his movements because of the bulky nappy. I'm not sure of the environmental benefits when you take into account the extra chemicals used for soaking the nappy, washing powder and electricity for washing it and then possibly ( depending on the weather ) more electricity for the tumble drier.

Sarsar3NCH
13-01-2008, 06:45 PM
One of my mindees used them until recently when she was toilet trained at 20 months. I found them ok but couldn't understand why parent would not use liners (especially as u can get flushable ones now) so scraping was awful. This particular child did smell awful most of the time though but I think that was because the parents didn't soak them and only did a wash twice a week!!
I was able to hang the bag of nappies inside my garage so no smell or buckets inside.
My friend who has just had a baby is using the new Mothercare smart nappy system and they are great, they have an outer and inner bit and u can choose between washable inners but can also get biodegradeable disposable inner pads for if you are out for a while or going on hol.

Sarah

Chell
13-01-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure how I would react to them tbh...

I'm not sure it would be particularly healthy to have a nappy bucket (even with a lid) in the corner of the loo (it's a very small house with a very small loo), there would be serious risk assessment processes to go through if children use the toilet independently (I don't want to have to follow them out to the toilet every blooming time they wee just in case they try to get into a nappy bucket and Ofsted don't like standing water in a bird bath so I'm not sure how they'd react to a bucket!) and I don't think I would like the idea of scraping a cloth nappy then flushing someone else's child's waste down the loo.

I wonder would it be smelly? How would I then pass nappies back to parents? I wouldn't want to be washing the things, my poor washer gets enough hammer with my ds who has cream on all his clothes!... I wouldn't want to be buying the sanitiser for soaking either, so parents would need to supply that...

I can see the positives Chell, especially landfill issues, but not sure how I would deal with the negatives...

Perhaps you can convert me? :D

You dry pail nappies, it isn't smelly in a bucket with a closed lid. A few drops of tea tree oil can make them smell fresher and it has natural antibacterial properties.

They would just be tied in a bag to give back to the parents. You can use a fleece liner. You hold this in the loo as you flush, the poo falls off then you pop it in the bucket/sack. An alternative is a flushable liner, just flush this down the loo.

www.clothnappytree.com has lots of articles about nappies and 'how to' type guides. I used Tots Bots very briefly with DS but never bought enough to properly get into the rountine if using them so stopped.

Chell
13-01-2008, 08:14 PM
I have - in the past- had a mindee who only wore cloth nappies. Not only did he need changing far more often, he was more prone to nappy rash and was quite restricted in his movements because of the bulky nappy. I'm not sure of the environmental benefits when you take into account the extra chemicals used for soaking the nappy, washing powder and electricity for washing it and then possibly ( depending on the weather ) more electricity for the tumble drier.

No extra chemicals needed especially if you used soapnuts or ecoballs to wash them. Tea tree oil is non harmful to the environment. Nappies are dry pailed, not soaked as I said above.

Drying - buy the right nappies and they don't take long to dry. This depends on the design, thickness, material, etc. I'd go for shaped nappies. I have read that Tots Bots Fluffles are bulky and take time to dry but others are far better. www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk gives honest descriptions, factors like drying time are in the product descriptions. The Baby Kind website is the same.

sarah707
13-01-2008, 08:17 PM
I am interested now Chell .... I will go and do some more research. Though I'm not having another baby (ever) you never know what you'll be asked to do as a childminder in the future do you...?

Thank you for the links! :D

Chell
13-01-2008, 08:18 PM
One of my mindees wore them, up untill recently, i was dreading it when she first started with me aged 7mths in proper folded cloth nappies with old fashioned pins ,But surprisingly they were ok, mum sent them prefolded with a liner in, so poo wash just flushed away .Dirty nappies were put in nappy sac's and put in a bin outside ready for the parent to collect and deal with herself. That child never used cream or got nappy rash and she was very easy to potty train. I would now think about using them, if i was to have another child, really opened my eyes and changed my way of thinking.

I would use shaped nappies like these (http://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatalog/Shaped_Nappies_Sized.html). I am thinking of the Diddy Diaper. You then put a waterproof or fleece wrap round them. Nowadays safety pins aren't need, you either get nappies with poppers or use a nappi nippa - see the blue thing on the Easy Peasy Bumble nappy in the link above.

Chell
13-01-2008, 08:20 PM
I am interested now Chell .... I will go and do some more research. Though I'm not having another baby (ever) you never know what you'll be asked to do as a childminder in the future do you...?

Thank you for the links! :D

There is lots of information to take in. I spent several evenings looking at shop online and forums for information. I think I understand a little more now. Dh isn't convinced but I wear the trousers :p

mummyspice
13-01-2008, 11:24 PM
My baby is in cloth nappies I think they're great-but do need changing more often. My mindee starting soon will also be in cloth-the same ones:panic: -hope I don't get them muddled up lol
I think what I'll do is just put wet ones straight into a carrier bag, and shake the poo off the dirty ones first.
I use fleece liners and it's really easy to shake into loo.
hth, Lisa x

LittleMissSparkles
14-01-2008, 10:58 AM
i no its not very eco friendly but i have used disposable one withboth my children xxx

fionamal
14-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I also used disposable nappies for both mine aswell. Did look at cloth nappies but wasnt really impressed with them. Friend used them on her daughter and she was constantly changing her as they were leaking, she too ended up using disposable ones when going out for the convenience.

chubbymummy
14-01-2008, 09:45 PM
my sister has them for my nephew and she finds them just fine

i think it's just a case of getting used to them if i had a mindee that used them i would be ok with that no problem!

manjay
14-01-2008, 10:32 PM
i no its not very eco friendly but i have used disposable one withboth my children xxx

me too Susan!

amanda xx

mummyspice
14-01-2008, 10:34 PM
I tried lots of different ones when converting to cloth. In my opinion, the best by far are 'bumgenius' a one size pocket nappy from birth to potty.
I also like my blueberry minkis, but they are a bit bulky, so I save them for night time.:)

ajs
14-01-2008, 10:42 PM
your blueberry minkis
i just use tena lady for those little moments

mummyspice
14-01-2008, 10:57 PM
lol lol lol:laughing:

charleyfarley
14-01-2008, 11:20 PM
I did have terry nappies for my son (23 now) but not really for very long, we then used disposables

Only ever used Huggies with Charley and Mitchell

Sorry about the landfill but washing machine is on everyday as it is, without nappies

Carol xx

teacake2
15-01-2008, 11:27 PM
One of my mindees comes in cloth nappies, but I do not keep him in them for long, I spoke to his mum about it and she says she is quite happy for me to use disposables during the time he is with me, it is just her preference. When he goes to grandparents he is in disposables.

I find he gets very bad nappy rash when he is in the cloth ones, also she doesn't use softener with them and they are very rough, also the liners she uses are very hard (I think) so I try not to leave him in them very long. Another problem I find, he tends to have very runny poo and so scraping them is very hard and the nappies are extremely smelly.

He seems to be so much happier in disposables especially for his mad moments of racing round.

Teacake2

Rubybubbles
16-01-2008, 05:57 PM
I tried the tot bots, cotton bottoms and mothercare ones for my dd (used Tescos own for ds!!) as I was more aware what was out there, but TBH it was okay but I like things to be quick and easy, I found using cotton ones not!! And if you washed everyday, tumble dried ect, surely thats just as bad for the environment no??

Lincsminder
16-01-2008, 08:58 PM
I find he gets very bad nappy rash when he is in the cloth ones, also she doesn't use softener with them and they are very rough, also the liners she uses are very hard (I think) so I try not to leave him in them very long. Another problem I find, he tends to have very runny poo and so scraping them is very hard and the nappies are extremely smelly.

He seems to be so much happier in disposables especially for his mad moments of racing round.

Teacake2

Cloth nappies loose absorbancy when they have conditioner on them so it is not recommended. They are easily softened with 10 min in the tumble or by rubbing them together. People often make the mistake of using too much washing powder which can leave a residue on the nappy and this can cause a rash. I use flushable paper liners which are not hard at all, I just tip this down the loo so no scraping. So it may not be the nappies causing the problem just the way they are being looked after, unfortunatly not every one gets this information when they buy the nappies.
Caroline

Lincsminder
16-01-2008, 09:08 PM
And if you washed everyday, tumble dried ect, surely thats just as bad for the environment no??

Most people dont wash them every day, I normaly wash every 3rd day and only tumble for 10 mins to soften them up. So for me they are not nearly as bad as the production of disposables and the fact they are all still sat in land fill sites.
Caroline

Chell
17-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Skegminder, what type do you use? I was going to get shaped nappies until I saw my friends pocket nappies yesterday, I am now thining that perhaps they would be better.

Lincsminder
17-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Skegminder, what type do you use? I was going to get shaped nappies until I saw my friends pocket nappies yesterday, I am now thining that perhaps they would be better.

I don't really like pocket nappies because the outer part containing the PUL has to be washed every time and deteriates quicker than the wrap over a shaped nappy. I have about 8 wraps and leave them to air inbetween changes then wash once a week or if soiled. There are so many different kinds of nappies and it may help for you to talk to an advisor because they can look at all your need and expectations and help you choose a nappy that suits your requirments. The other way is to buy lots of different kinds, you may find you use them for different things for example I have lollipop micro in my chang bag because the are quite slim but use softees at night because they are thicker. Then I have a pile of terry squares as extras if I haven't put on a wash for a few days, and I also use them whilst camping because they dry quick and can be used for other things.

Caroline

Chell
22-03-2008, 09:41 AM
I've still not decided what to buy, I'm half way through my pregnancy so its time to start shopping!

disney
22-03-2008, 10:28 AM
dont use them at the moment , but have when minded in the past & when i worked at the nursery . the problem is when i have used them every time the child has became very sore and blistery on their bottoms so hence changing the nappy every hour was needed , :( dont think they hold much so cant be left on long x

Mollymop
22-03-2008, 10:49 AM
When I first had Tim I used cloth nappies as I thought it would be cheaper. But I only lasted a few weeks using them, they were disgusting! They stunk, my kitchen always smelled of the washing machins doing a 90 and there was a bucket full of dirty nappies soaking. It gave Tim nappy rash really abdly and chaffed him round the legs. I would never want to use them again.
You hear people say they are better for the environment but they are no different than disposables - you use so much energy washing and drying them it makes no difference to the environment.

Rubybubbles
18-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Me again bumping up an old post!

I have been minding a little one now 15 months who is in cloth nappies, and I love them (well I send them home to be washed!) but they are so easy, I think I was just impatient back when I tried them for my dd (2004)!

Honestly I think they are fab, we are starting to have to 'double layer' as they are beginning to flood otherwise but lo is getting older and ready for potty training (just starting to tell me when gone for wee/soiled nappy) no point to this post other than browsing and seeing my old comment:laughing:

Mrs Scrubbit
18-11-2013, 10:04 PM
I had a couple of mindees use them a few yrs ago and thought they were very good- just wished that they had been around for my kids as they always had ' bulky bottoms' from their terry nappies xx

clareelizabeth1
18-11-2013, 11:31 PM
I love them too. Have used them with DS for almost a year and it's so nice. Yes I change him more often than those that use disposables but it's our special time to chat/babble. It also means I have never had to rush to the shops to buy nappies or spend out any money after the initial payout. It has taken me a while to find the best combo for DS but it's been worth it.

For anyone worrying about restricting movement DS walked before a year and was able to climb out of his cot before a year too and his night nappy is very bulky.

Koala
19-11-2013, 12:29 PM
I had a lo, well not so little who had bamboo nappies, I didn't really like them, I had to tip the poo out, even though there was a liner the thought made me gip and if I had to pick it up (aaarhhgh), I just chucked the dirties in a bucket to take home which stank - I kept it outside and in the summer warm pee and poop smell when lifting the lid really was unpleasant.

It would be different if it were my own because I would put them straight to soak but when they are in a stink pot for upto eight hours - cor blimey it made my eyes water.

Disposables all the way for other folks kids. :thumbsup:

clairer
19-11-2013, 12:51 PM
I have never had a mindee with cloth nappies.

I used them for a short while on my own babies but they were a bit of a faff. Also they caused more washing as they leaked badly and frequently. I didn't think in the end it turned out that environmentally friendly.

I would consider them if a parent requested it, but the cloths would have to be kept in a sealed bucket inaccessible to the children. And the parents could take the bucket home to deal with at the end of the day!:clapping: