PDA

View Full Version : Books with Positive Images

angeldelight
15-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Children & Young People with Mobility Difficulties

There are all sorts of stories here, featuring child-eating snakes, escaped hamsters and a helpful ghost. Some of the children and young people in the stories have a mobility problem which makes it more difficult for them to get about, but the focus of the story is on their character and what they do, not just on their disability. The range of non-fiction shares children's and young peoples' different experiences of living with a disability.

Picture Books

Bodsworth, Nan - A Nice Walk in the Jungle
Miss Jellaby's class goes on a nature walk in the jungle and see all kinds of exciting animals. Disaster strikes when the class, including Peter who uses a wheelchair, are swallowed by a snake. Young children will enjoy this colourful story.

Foreman, Michael - Seal Surfer
In this story for young children a young boy observes a seal through the different seasons. When he gets into trouble out at sea on his surf board, the seal comes to his rescue. Throughout the book the boy is pictured with walking aids.

Harter, Debbie - The Animal Boogie
Swing along with the creatures of the Indian jungle as they shake, swing, flap and slither to the sound of the animal boogie. A happy young wheelchair user joins in with the fun.

Naidoo, Beverley - Letang's New Friend
Letang moves to a new home and new school. This story is about how she begins to make new friends, one of which is Julie, who, although not singled out in the story, is a little girl who has to have walking aids.

Naidoo, Beverley - Trouble for Letang and Julie
Nibbles the hamster escapes in Ms Miller's classroom. Letang and her friend Julie have to help find the missing pet. Julie has difficulty walking and either uses a wheelchair or walking aids to help her. Suitable for very young children.

Waddell, Martin - My Great Grandpa
This picture book portrays the relationship between a child and her Grandpa who has to use a wheelchair. The story is about the special friendship they have, and how the little girl sees her Grandpa's disability in a positive way.

Wilkins, Verna Allette - Boots for a Bridesmaid
In this story for younger children, Nicky is going to be bridesmaid at her Aunt's wedding, and insists on wearing boots. Her mum has a wheelchair, but although it is visually present in the story, it is not mentioned in the text. At the end is a good explanation of why she has to use a wheelchair.

Beginning to Read

Dowley, Ruth - Top Biker
A story for first readers. Steve has spina bifida and despite being bullied by Dan, he learns to ride a bike. When Dan falls from his own bike and is badly injured, it is up to Steve to come to the rescue.

French, Vivian - Tilly McGillie’s Fantastical Chair
Tilly’s aunts think Tilly needs to be kept warm when she goes out in her wheelchair but her gran says “pots of tea need keeping warm” and turns it into a magic flying chair. This book is part of the Sprinter series for beginner readers.

Rosen, Bill - Catch Me A Godzilla
In the second story of this book Jake meets Assim who uses a wheelchair because he was hurt in a road accident. The two become good friends, and deal with the local bullies together. Suitable for ages 8+.

Junior Fiction

Ahlberg, Allan - My Brother's Ghost
In this spine-tingling story, set fifty years ago, the ghost of 10-year old Tom returns to look out for his sister Frances. Frances wears a caliper because her leg has been damaged by Polio and when she falls into the canal, the weight drags her down. But can a ghost save her?

Bevan, Clare - Mightier Than The Sword
Adam becomes involved in an adventure which links the past and present, involving King Arthur and saving a plot of land. The story is fast moving and funny. Adam has Spina Bifida. Suitable for young people aged 9yrs+.

Cole, Hannah - Bring In the Spring
Bel goes to work on a community project at a school for children with special needs and meets Sarah who uses a wheelchair. This is a story of discoveries for both Bel and Sarah, with sad and positive moments.

Most of these books are cheap on Amazon

Angel xx

PixiePetal
08-10-2008, 02:32 PM
BBC Balamory - Buggies and Prams (got mine for £1.99 in 'The Works')

Josie Jump takes the mums and toddlers to the Big City. Spencer draws her a map, but it's like an obstacle course. Penny Pocket saves the day.

Penny is a wheelchair user.

Jen

sue m
08-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks Angel, just ordered nearly £20 worth. They look great. They'll come in handy for the lo's and also for Hollie if she does have problems with her muscles and has to have walking aids. We hope she doesn't but you never know and these will be good for her to read.

childmind04
15-10-2008, 10:25 PM
I have just got some lovely story books today,

Susan laughs = story showing susan doing lots of fun activities then at the end shows she is in a wheelchair

Two left feet = story about a boy in leg braces and the problems he faces on a school trip, some fab pictures easy for children to relate too

Its raining, its pouring we're exploring = wet day and 3 children are looking for something to do, it has a little girl using an inhaler during their day and i must admit the kids i was reading it too realised it straight away!

3 of my favs :)

sarah707
16-10-2008, 06:36 AM
I have just got some lovely story books today,

Susan laughs = story showing susan doing lots of fun activities then at the end shows she is in a wheelchair

I love this story!

Especially the first time you read it to a child and the look on their face at the end when they see Susan! :D

miffy
16-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks Angel

Not sure about the child-eating snake :eek: - I could have nightmares :laughing:

Miffy xx

Carol
29-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for your advice
just to let you know I Ordered Susan laughs and It's Raining it's pouring on Amazon 1p each plus £2.75 post and packaging for each one........bargain.
Saved me going to the shops :)

Carol

angeldelight
30-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for your advice
just to let you know I Ordered Susan laughs and It's Raining it's pouring on Amazon 1p each plus £2.75 post and packaging for each one........bargain.
Saved me going to the shops :)

Carol

Thanks for that Carol

Angel xx