PDA

View Full Version : Age limit on collecting a child from my setting?

DudleyChildmind
14-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi

Does anyone know if there is an age limit for a child to collect her sister from my setting? The older sister is 15 years old and her mum would like her to collect her younger sister from my house (see is nearly 10). I just wondered if the person collecting should be at least 16?

Any advcie would be appreciated :)

butterfly
14-09-2008, 08:46 PM
ooh i don't know what to say! my friend allows her 12 yr old to take her 3 yr old round the village. i suppose you could get parent to sign something agreeing that as soon as they leave your setting you are no longer responsible but it's still a moral issue. i expect sarah will know!

DudleyChildmind
14-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Thank you Butterfly :)

It's difficult isn't it.

jellytot
14-09-2008, 09:10 PM
wouldn't know with this one . i personally think 16 but maybe you could get mum to sign as said before.

good luck

LisaH
14-09-2008, 09:38 PM
One of my 3yr old mindees was once collected by his 14yr old sister!!! His mum said it was fine but I wasnt too happy. I would definately get written signed consent for this just to be safe.:)

Chatterbox Childcare
14-09-2008, 09:39 PM
This is a question for your insurance company. Doesn't matter what mum does and does not allow - you are liable in the end so check it out first. Second, check with Ofsted as they are interested in Under 8's.:clapping:

Pipsqueak
14-09-2008, 09:54 PM
As far as i am aware there is no particular age but I would get it in writing from the parent that they are happy for you to release the child to XXXX and that they authorise this. They are aware that once the child leaves your premises that you are no longer responsible for the childs welbeing.

I have it written into my policies that no-one under the age of 16 can collect but if a parent was to give me written permission then I would go along with it. I think I would draw the line at someone under 14 collecting though.

I guess if you look at it logicially - you have young teen mums would you query about releasing the child to them (their parent)? ThinkI have just explained that badly - I am tired sorry.

Cazz
15-09-2008, 10:16 PM
This was mentioned on the ICP course and I'm sure the tutor said that someone is legally classed as a child until they reach 18 (even though they can learn to drive and do other things!) and so a mindee should not be collected by anyone under the age of 18. (I'm sure this has come up on here before as I can remember someone saying what if a baby had a young parent under the age of 18).

I suppose it's up to parents if they allow their own older child to look after a younger one but it's a bit different when you are a childminder handing over the responsibility of a child to the older child.

Carole x

sarah707
16-09-2008, 06:55 AM
There is some info here ...

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/HelpAndAdvice/Parentsandcarers/HomeAlone/homealone_wda35965.html

As Debbie says, so long as you have parents written authority and an ok from your insurance company, then you have no choice whatever you think are the rights and wrongs.

There are NO legal age limits for these things.

christine e
16-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Hi

I was told a few years ago by my Under 8's officer (pre Ofsted days) that a child could not be collected by anyone under 16.

Cx

DudleyChildmind
16-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Thank you :)

I think I will contact Ofsted just to make sure as I don't want to get into trouble.

Hannahlg
17-09-2008, 09:31 AM
We look after a 6 year old girl and her 4 year old borther. there older sister who will be 15 next mouth sometimes comes to collect them but we have sgined persimmon from the parent. and its only if mum is going to be very late etc and the 15 year old also use to come to us aswell when she was younger

we also have a another 6 year old girl who has a 15 year old sister and we have persionm for her to pick the child up aswell only when mum or dad going to be late etc

DudleyChildmind
17-09-2008, 11:32 AM
I've had a reply from Ofsted and they said it's outside their legal remit and it's nothing to do with them :rolleyes:

Twinkles
17-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Sounds like they filed it under P.T.B ( pass the buck ! ) fear not they will still be the ones on your case if something goes wrong :rolleyes:

cloud9
17-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Why dont you state in a policy that no under 16's can collect a mindee unless there is written consent from a parent. I would add a disclaimer part saying that you cannot be held liable for any incident/accidents occuring as a result of a parent wishing their child to be released to another minor.