PDA

View Full Version : food menu question

Annie_T
13-09-2008, 06:25 PM
im tryin to make up a set menu for dinners. but ive come a bit stuck, so thought id see what you all offer (for those who offer dinners) to help me out with the gaps i still have

cheeky i know hehe

crazybones
13-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Have you looked on Netmums? I used their blank planner and did a 2 week rolling rota for menus - mainly stuff I could cook over the weekend and freeze and reheat

Spag Bol
Scouse (stew to mere mortals :laughing: )
Shepherds Pie
Baked Pots with fillings
Sweet and Sour chicken
chicken casserole
Homemade pizza
Pasta with various sauces
Sandwiches
Cheese, bread sticks, crackers, fruit platter

sarah707
13-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Here's the netmums link... I use it too!

http://www.netmums.com/h/n/FOOD/HOME/ALL/357//

Annie_T
13-09-2008, 06:45 PM
yea ive looked there, but im not the cook of the house .. so i got stuck coz half stuff i feel i wont able to cook lol (gonna feel for them future mindee's)

will ask fella when he bk as he the cook ... well til i mind haha

sarah707
13-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Last week we had...

Monday - sausages (yummy ones from the farm) with big Yorkshire puddings, peas and gravy for those who like it

Tues - pasta spirals with chicken or tuna according to likes and dislikes and broccoli

Weds - home made pizza (kids all helped) with added tomatoes, ham, pineapple and cheese and a plain one for those who don't eat toppings. One little girl doesn't like melted cheese so I did her noodles (4 mins in a pan) with some of the ham and pineapple

Thurs - chicken wraps (wraps, mixed veg which nobody eats, jar of Dolmio and chicken pieces)

Fri - fish, real chips (yummy one-off treat because I fancied some) and beans

I was cooking last week and most days I had 8 in the house for tea. I find this kind of menu do-able... the trick is to prepare as much as possible in the afternoon if it's quiet.

Hope it helps :D

shopshelleyd
13-09-2008, 07:00 PM
I struggle with menus as well, have one child with egg allergy one night and another 2 nights have a vegetarian. Try to do same meal for everyone as have 9 for tea and not time to cook individual meals. Nightmare!!!:panic:

Shelley

LisaH
13-09-2008, 07:23 PM
I tend to stick with one-pot meals where I can such as spag bol, stews and chilli!!! I hate cooking.:laughing:

mum22
13-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I tend to stick with one-pot meals where I can such as spag bol, stews and chilli!!! I hate cooking.:laughing:

ooh I love one pot cooking :thumbsup:

Alibali
14-09-2008, 04:54 PM
If you want a look at mine pm me your e-mail and I'll let you have a look. Not too many complicated things on mine! It's a 3 week rolling menu including snacks lunch and dinner.

Minstrel
14-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Have to admit i cheated and took a look at my son's school menu! Got about 75% of my ideas from that!

Gherkin
14-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Sausage, mash & beans
Spag Bol
Chicken Curry
Fish Fingers, wedges and beans
Sausage ragu with pasta
Lamb & feta meatballs and rice and veg
Salsa Chicken, new pots and salad (chicken with pot of tesco salsa on top - kids love it and is a dish you bake int he oven)
Shepherds Pie
Chilli and rice
Jackets with beans or tuna

That is my menu on a rolling basis covers 2 weeks. Each week there is a fish/chicken/lamb/beef and pork dish.

balloon
14-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Some fab ideas there, just what I could do with too so hope nobody minds if I pinch some of them.

Just one question: what sort of age would you start little ones on a mild curry?

Thanks

butterfly
14-09-2008, 07:54 PM
just wanted to say i'm so glad none of my mindees stay for tea!!

Chatterbox Childcare
14-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Look at what you feed your own family and just make a larger portion.

I made a list of foods in the 5 different food groups and over a month worked out what child liked what. I did notice that when I put new food in front of them they always said "don't like that" but after trying it they do.

I would say don't make it complicated and do all preparation when it is quiet or keep some from the night before. Mine are having roast tomorrow and it is all done!