PDA

View Full Version : Just a few quick questions!

Helpinghands
12-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi!

If somebody would be able to answer a few questions for me, that's be grand!

1. Do we have to 'keep' our fridge temp records? Or can we do a laminated one to use over and over with a dry wipe?

2. Does anyone have an old SEF I could have a glance at to get an idea of what to write?

3. Anything I can do with an 8 year old for 4 hours a day?

Thanks!

sarah707
12-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi!

If somebody would be able to answer a few questions for me, that's be grand!

1. Do we have to 'keep' our fridge temp records? Or can we do a laminated one to use over and over with a dry wipe?

How would you prove that you'd taken fridge temps on w/c 4th July (made up date)... if tests come back positive on 2 children from your house contracting food poisoning on or before that date? You'd have to report it to Riddor... you'd have a visit from your local EHO... you've wiped the temps to make room for August

2. Does anyone have an old SEF I could have a glance at to get an idea of what to write?

There aren't any old SEFs... everyone has to start in the same place. Have a look at people's reports on the Ofsted website. They will give you a starting point. The rest we're all making up as we go along.

3. Anything I can do with an 8 year old for 4 hours a day?

Ask him what he wants to do and go with the flow. 8 year olds usually like Tv, reading comics and easy books, Hama beads, Magnetix, computer time, something electronic and hand held, dance mat... that sort of thing.

Thanks!

You're welcome! Hope it helps :D

Helpinghands
13-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Ta muchly! :blush:

venus89
13-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I have to keep a record of fridge temperature?

jellytot
13-09-2008, 11:58 AM
ooo need to start recording fridge temp also!!!!!!!!

oh well whats another piece of paper work

sarah707
13-09-2008, 02:27 PM
You do not have to record fridge temps for Ofsted...

But you should be registered with your local Evivonmental Health dept and they will give you a pack 'Safer food better business'...

This requires you to show how you keep food safe from purchase to plate... so you are thinking about safe transport home, storage, defrost and cooked temps.

Look here for further advice...

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/

melanieabigail2004
13-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I recently had a food inspection. I have a log on the side of the fridge/freezer for temps and the inspector advised that I should add a column to include the hot meal of the day. Have to write down what it was and what temp is was when probed.

Mel

Twinkles
13-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Well I knew about the fridge temperature but I didn't know I had to probe the hot food !!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
Is it just me or does that seem a bit ott ?

Twinkles
13-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Ha just re-read my post , no pun intended with the ott bit :laughing:
I meant Over The Top.

venus89
13-09-2008, 05:07 PM
:laughing:
But I don't provide meals, beyond breakfast. i appreciate that I ought to do this as I serve milk & cheese from my fridge, and if mindees bring yoghurt in their packs then I'll put that in the fridge until lunch but really, write it down? And I assume I don't have to write what my family eat?

sarah707
13-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Well I knew about the fridge temperature but I didn't know I had to probe the hot food !!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
Is it just me or does that seem a bit ott ?

That's what happens in professional kitchens ...

To make sure the food is over 75c it will be probed and the temp recorded.

I've always done it here to follow good practice guidelines...

It's scary sometimes when something looks and seems really hot and you realise it's not cooked in the middle yet because it probes at 60 something :eek:

Love the pun! :laughing:

LittleStars
13-09-2008, 06:54 PM
So...my fridge and freezer have alarms that if they drop below the temp range I have set them to the alarm goes off....do I still need to record temps....surely by having an alarm I am proving that I have taken adequate steps to ensure food is kept at the correct temp?

sarah707
13-09-2008, 06:56 PM
So...my fridge and freezer have alarms that if they drop below the temp range I have set them to the alarm goes off....do I still need to record temps....surely by having an alarm I am proving that I have taken adequate steps to ensure food is kept at the correct temp?

Yes... but... says Mr Environmental Health Officer... show me what the temp was last Thursday :cool: