PDA

View Full Version : Sad minder

Helen Dempster
12-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Hey all
Sorry for the sad face, but I'm beginning to feel v. disillusioned, depressed blah blah blah. I've been registered since beg.July this year (I know, it's not that long, but...) and I can count the number of enquiries on one hand, of which nothing has come of any of 'em. Had an interview with my v. first mum on Thursday and it went really well. We left it that she would contact me when she's decided, but haven't heard back :o It's alot harder than I imagined, I was so excited, confident about my new chosen career, but now I just feel like a punctured beach ball (deflated, that is!) I don't know what to do, I'm losing confidence by the day! Loads of people have viewed my website, but I've had nothing in relation to that. I don't want to give up, as I'm really passionate about working with children and chomping at the bit to get started! I think I'm just feeling a bit sorry for self eh? My head's in a spin with the EYFS/Sef, I don't even know who my network co-ordinator is, can't find a childminding group...on and on and on I go! :o

Anyways, thanks for listening and I'm sorry for the moan (but feel much better for it!) ;) xx

miffy
12-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Helen and welcome to the forum

Don't despair you've found us now - all your questions can be answered (not by me though!) and you'll find loads of info on just about everything.

Can't find you any children to mind though but there are lots of ideas about how and where to advertise.

Lots of members have found it slow when they first start out but things will pick up so chin up

Miffy xx

Andrea08
12-09-2008, 09:08 PM
hayyy you its ok

i remember what its like when we first start out, it takes time but you will get there i promise ohhhh i said that word i never say the P word!!! so there you go it will be ok trust us and we are all ere for you ok

we are ere to listen to you as others have been hear 4 me keep your chin up hun, and be proud of yourself,
being self empolyed is hard work but you will feel the benefits xxxx

ok xxx

Nettynoo
12-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Ever thought of walking around town with a big sandwich board??!!! You know the type they used to advertise 'The world is nigh' etc!!!!! I did!!(thought about it that is!!)

Seriously though, I registered at the same time as you and I had nothing until 3 weeks ago and they all started within days of each other and I now need to request a variation as Dad so happy with son's care here that he wants daughter to come here too!!!!!!

I'm sure you have already but make the most of advertising everywhere i.e free notice boards in Tesco/Asda etc, your local library, community centre, Families magazine, think about getting free business cards from Vistaprint and drop threw letterboxes around schools and areas you want to cover, Netmums etc.
Also, make sure you contact your local NCMA and request to be added to school lists that parents request when looking for us!!!!!!

I wish you loads of luck and I bet in a few weeks you will look back and occasionally wish that noone had responded and that you had peace again!!!!!!
Fingers & toes crossed!!

angeldelight
12-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi Helen

Poor you - I think most of us have been there though so understand just how you are feeling

Dont give up just yet once the calls start you will be turning them away hopefully

Good advice from the others

Hope you get some calls soon keep us posted

Good luck

Angel xx

marian
12-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Stay positive and hopefully the phone will soon be ringing off the hook!

Shirlwith3
13-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Hi Chin up things will get better, I was reg in Oct 06 & didn't get my 1st contract signed till Jan 07.

I have found though that the ones who go of to DECIDE never sign up as I have had a few go off to decide & have never sign, I have recently had a young mum come with her parents & signed a contract there & then.

Shirl

mum22
13-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi Helen

I do know how you feelm it is awful when you are so excited about a new career and want to get on, It was so slow for me at the beginning, hopefully things will pick up soon. Like has been mentioned do all you can to advertise, make sure all the other childminders in your area know you have vacancies, go to the toddler groups borrow a child if you need to.

Fingers crossed that something comes your waym but hang in:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
13-09-2008, 08:45 AM
What a lot you have on your plate.

Don't despair with it all.

The EYFS will come through and it will all fall into place. There was Birth-3 before this and we all had to get to grips with that too..

As for your website, I am always trawling around them seeing what others are doing so it may be that all the hits are prospective parents.

Have you looked at your profile on the Children's Information Service? Compare it to others and you may make some changes.

Ring your local Surestart office and ask where there is a network and Development Officer.

Don't give up - there is loads of support out there

Polly2
13-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Don't give up babe...there is work out there somewhere!

Use the time to get your head round the paper work and maybe pop in to some toddler groups and get to know some mums.

I know what it feels like. Hope something comes along soon ;)

hillbilly
13-09-2008, 01:25 PM
:thank you: :thank you: :thank you:

Just wanted to give you a bit hug, and agree with what everyone else has said. Also I have found that once you have your first child on board the rest will come flooding through. Many of my children have come through word of mouth. Moms talking to each other and recommending me, or at play groups etc. When you have one child you are more likely to visit playgroups, toddler groups etc and get talking to other moms, who have freinds of friends looking for a minder iyswim!

Do you know any other minders in your area? Perhaps you could swap contact details with them and pass on enquires to each other if you cant fill them etc. Or in the mean time, ask other local childminders where they go for toddler groups etc and ask if they mind if you tag along. You can then introduce yourself to the moms and dads etc.

Keep your chin up, it will happen all in good time

wellybelly
13-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Dont give up, it took me a couple of months before i got an enquiry. I now have 13 children on my books.

Jules12Wed
13-09-2008, 02:24 PM
So sorry to hear your having problems. Chin up. Make sure you get yourself known. Do you have children, do you go to a school, nursery etc to collect then. Talk to other Mums and tell them what you do. I agree with what's been said once you have one child then others seem to follow.

What area do you live in - maybe someone on this site lives in your area and can pass your details around.

emmadines
13-09-2008, 04:48 PM
hun, keep your chin up! will reply yo this proberly when kids in bed xxx

cloud9
13-09-2008, 06:02 PM
i agree with what ever one is saying i am feeling exactly the same as you though. To be honest i think the recession is hitting people because my calls have dropped off the planet since about may time.
Keep on advertising and although i know its hard (im still depressed over it!) try to keep a positive outlook:laughing:

Mollymop
13-09-2008, 06:08 PM
It can be difficult to get yourself some children when you first start up - so try not to give it all up yet! Good luck x

ruby
13-09-2008, 06:36 PM
just wanted to say good luck and hope you get some mindees first

the other have given you some good advice

i have had parents i.e my latest full timer who came to see me twice and then went away to decide
they phoned back a week later and said yes so the one who has visited may still call back

will keep my fingers crossed

cathy

emmadines
13-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi hun, you will get some mindees soon! I think I only got a slight head start as I knew some minders from the tots group that I used to go to with my kiddies. You will get there. Have you tried a leaflet drop in car parks (on parent and child spaces????)
Call the cis and get bumped up. Please go to the childminding groups and make friends there you might be what other people are looking for when they are full??
Have you called the NCMA; they will know where a local group is for you, or that blue and white mag? That has group’s info in!
Email me and we can get together and maybe we can work on other ways to advertise. like I said before, this group is great (trust me, I know!! they have had my going on and on and on and on and on lol :blush: )

Hugs!

Mags
13-09-2008, 10:43 PM
i just wanted to say keep your chin up i'm sure something will come along soon. I also seemed to wait ages before getting my first contract but from there on it's been ok.
As others have said do go to your local groups/drop in's it's amazing how quickly word gets about and it really makes a difference.

Hope the calls come in very soon for you.x

Mags
13-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Sorry Sarah i haven't heard of her either

fishbones1
15-09-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, I have advertsed everywhere, told loads of people to tell friends, and nothing. Been reg'd since end of June and had 3 enquiries and nothing has come of those.

Feel majorly fed up too, funds are running low and felt on cloud nine when decided to change career but have definately fell with a bump.

I check my emails religiously which disheartens me even more.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well as myself.

Good luck

disneybabe
15-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Keep positive - the first mindies are the hardest to get but once you start with one all the others will then all fall in place.

LisaH
15-09-2008, 06:25 PM
:) You will get some mindees!!! It just takes time. It's hard I know, we have all been there.Stay positive. Good luck.:)

Helen Dempster
15-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, I have advertsed everywhere, told loads of people to tell friends, and nothing. Been reg'd since end of June and had 3 enquiries and nothing has come of those.

Feel majorly fed up too, funds are running low and felt on cloud nine when decided to change career but have definately fell with a bump.

I check my emails religiously which disheartens me even more.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well as myself.

Good luck

Hey hun - thanks for this. In a way it's good to know I'm not 'alone' and others are in the same boat! I'm going to keep my fingers (and toes) crossed for you too :-) I feel a bit more positive/happier than the other day. I've not been on here for a couple of days, so apols for the delays in responding!

Anyway, we'll both get there soon (I feel it in me water!!) LOL!!

Hugs

Hels xx

fishbones1
17-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks Helen

It just gets so disheartening when you try everything and it still doesn't get you anywhere. But I will pick myself up and carry on as always.

I'm sure we will get some children soon, let us know when you do, fingers are crossed.
Goodluck

Kelly x:littleangel: