PDA

View Full Version : URGENT HELP! WHAT TO DO?

butterfly
11-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Ahh I have an urgent problem. my door bell just rang but i didn't answer because i'm on my own with my kids and it's dark. anyway i waited upstairs only to see my neighbour leaving. I am 99% sure she will ask me to baby sit her baby aged 5 months probably one evening this weekend at her house whilst they go out. The thing is what would I charge?

On my childminding contracts I say unsociable hours ie after £10 per hour but now in the flesh this seems loads! i only did it to deter parents from asking me as i'd rather do it over night at my house. however i did say a couple of weeks a go that i would be happy to help her out on the odd occassion and to be honest i really need the money. so what should i charge??? she said she didn't want a young girl doing it so will probably be willing to pay a bit more?

would be glad of your advice girls!

LOOPYLISA
11-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I think this this sounds about right x:thumbsup:

Kes
11-09-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm probably too cheap but I usually charge £5 an hour. When I babysit through sitters I get £5.55 an hour. On average I think babysitting is usually between £5 and £10 an hour.
You could ask her how much she was thinking of paying.

Kerry

sarah707
11-09-2008, 07:56 PM
my dd charges £5 an hour...

depends where you live though and what the parent can afford.

Why not ask her?

kindredspirits
11-09-2008, 07:58 PM
i'd said out of instinct about £7 per hour - but do what you're happy with. push for£10 and if they go, oh thats dear ask them what they wanted to pay... you might be able to meet in the middle x

Chatterbox Childcare
11-09-2008, 08:19 PM
I babysit for an old parent and just charge £15.00 for the night. It gives them a night out.

If you don't want to charge much, why not have her at your house.

After all it is babysitting and not childminding

butterfly
11-09-2008, 08:24 PM
thanks for your help. i suppose it depends exactly what she wants. if it's likely to be really late i might ask for more! i may not be able to as my dh won't get home till 7.30 and i can't really ask my mil to sit for me so i can sit for them!! i might go for £7.50/hr rounded up to the nearest half hour? i'd get a bit of extra cash and she might ask me again!

LittleStars
12-09-2008, 07:18 AM
I charge £7ph minimum of £25....thats in London and is cheap compared to what most babysitters charge here.

hillbilly
12-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I pay my baby sitter £20 for the night. That is regardless whether we go for a quiet drink for an hour, or out to a concert for 4+ hours. Mostly is only a couple of hours though, and if we are earlier she gets a good deal, if we are later, we get a good deal. I also pay her when she gets here so i dont run out of cash!!! (have been known to forget to pay her when a little tipsy!) We both like the arrangement because we both know where we stand and how much it will cost/how much she will earn

Kelly

angeldelight
13-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Did she come back ?

Good luck

Angel xx

butterfly
14-09-2008, 08:46 AM
no she didn't!! and she didn't come to toddller group on friday! i think they're away - gutted!!

miffy
14-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Never mind - if they're away she'll probably ask you another time and you'll be ready now!

Miffy xx