PDA

View Full Version : Termly payment from college - help pls!

Mollymop
11-09-2008, 03:09 PM
I have a new girl starting next week while her mum is at college.

The college have told me to send them an invoice for the term and they have worked out how much this should be and me to check it is correct.

Anyway, it is alot of money and they are going to send it in a lump sum.

Problem is the parent told me she has been to college before and has not stuck it for long, but she is going to try hard to this time.

If she gives up after a few weeks or so, what will happen to the money that I have already been paid? Will I have to pay it back to the college.

See i am worried about using any of it just incase she does give up and then she may have to ask for it back,

Does anyone know? Thanks

Tatia
11-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Don't take this as gospel but a similar thing happened to a friend of mine and she was not asked to refund the money. They basically said she had signed the contract in good faith and had kept a space clear to accomodate so she was entitled to keep the money.

Doublecheck with the college or your network co, though.

katickles
11-09-2008, 03:29 PM
I would ring college & ask :)

miffy
11-09-2008, 03:32 PM
I would ring college & ask :)

Me too!

Glad you've posted this Sandra - I've got a mum starting college soon and they are paying her fees - I'll get her to check now whether that's paid termly or not

Miffy xx

Andrea08
11-09-2008, 03:34 PM
ohhh my new parents have just got me to sign for something like this ,,
but there term is different to school so not been able to work out how much it will be?

hope i dont spend it all at once?

please keep this going as it will be interesting to find out how it works out
thanks

Mollymop
11-09-2008, 04:06 PM
I will ring the college tomorrow and ask them. Thanks x

miffy
11-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Can you let us know what they say Sandra

Miffy xx

Minstrel
11-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Its interesting beacause in theory they should go after the mum because it is a benefit paid out to her on condition that she goes to college and she would be the one breaking the contract not you and you might have turned away other work and should be compensated for that fact.
Perhaps you could put it in another account and just pay yourself the weekly amount as the child comes to you and you will still have it should they ask for it back. Hope you get answers though.

LisaH
11-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I would work out the weekly amount too and avoid spending too much just in case!!
I had a parent at college a couple of years ago and she didnt finish her course but they didnt ask me for any money back.

If you are really worried just ask them,at least you'll know where you stand!!

Let us know what happens:)

karenjoy
12-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Interesting I have just taken on a girl whose mum is going t uni. I had to fill out a form yesterday and she said we both have to fill the form in 3 times a year.

She is in her 2nd year though so she will no doubt stick to it!!!

Wonder if I get a lump sum!!!

vicki1
13-09-2008, 12:46 PM
hi everyone
im looking after a little boy and his mum goes to college she started in sep 08 i got a letter from the college saying i have to send them monthly involes and i will get a cheque at the end of oct then a cheque on the 1st of every months after that. i have to wait to oct for my first cheque because the mum has to have 90% atendanse.
hope that helps

Jules12Wed
13-09-2008, 02:45 PM
I looked after a boy whose Mum was at college and I had to send a monthly invoice in advance although the college only paid about 80% I think. They paid for all holidays except the summer as her course ended and she had to re-enlist again in September.

karenjoy
14-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Ah thanks ladies. So did you just put 1st June - 30th June (For example) and they ust paid the whole month even if holidays were in that month?