PDA

View Full Version : cottage pie

carolinel
12-01-2008, 08:33 PM
well it's just taken me 1 hour 10 mins to make a cottage pie!!!!!!!!

it's a slimming world recipe. will update on how it tastes in about 10 mins!!

chubbymummy
12-01-2008, 08:38 PM
if it's nice let us have the recipie please

Spangles
12-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Oh yes, I'd love the recipe too, I love cottage pie - the one I make takes a while too, it's a WW one I think - very, very, yummy!

carolinel
12-01-2008, 08:57 PM
mmmm, I thought it was delicious. i will def be making it again.

will post recipe on later! watching casualty at the mo.

miffy
12-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Looking forward to this recipe - was going to make one tomorrow so might try your recipe instead of my usual one

Miffy xx

Tily Bud
12-01-2008, 09:17 PM
mmm I might try it out also x

carolinel
12-01-2008, 09:38 PM
the recipe is actually for "shepherd" pie, but i used lean minced beef instead of lamb.

Also go steady on the yogurt, i only used a bit as it looked sloppy enough.

ingredients

2lbs/908g swede
a small handful of fresh parsley (I didn't use any)
6 tbsp very low fat natural yogurt
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 red onion
2 carrots
2 garlic cloves
2 sticks of celery
fry light
12oz/340g extra lean minced lamb
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp chicken bovril (I didn't understand what this meant so just crumbled in a cube of knorr chicken stock)
1tsp artificial sweetener
2 tsp dried oregano
1 egg

1) preheat oven to 200oc / 400 of/gas6
peel the swede and cut into chunks. boil until tender and then drain and mash until smooth. chop the parsley and stir into the mash with the yogurt and sesoning to taste.

2) meanwhile, peel and chop the ionion and carrots, peel and crush the garlic, and chop the celery. spray a pan with fry light and cook the onion, carrots, garlic, celery and mince for 4-5 minutes. add the tomatoes, bovril, sweetener and oregano. stir to mix well and bring to the boil.

3) transfer the mixture into one large or four individual pie dishes and top witht he swede mixture. beat the egg, brush over the top and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden.

let me know if you make it and what you think!

on slimming world it a classed as free food.

Lou
12-01-2008, 09:41 PM
the recipe is actually for "shepherd" pie, but i used lean minced beef instead of lamb.

ingredients

2lbs/908g swede
1 red onion
2 carrots
2 garlic cloves
2 sticks of celery
fry light
1 tbsp chicken bovril (I didn't understand what this meant so just crumbled in a cube of knorr chicken stock)
1tsp artificial sweetener
2 tsp dried oregano
1 egg

peel the swede and cut into chunks. boil until tender and then drain and mash until smooth. chop the parsley and stir into the mash with the yogurt and sesoning to taste.

2) meanwhile, peel and chop the ionion and carrots, peel and crush the garlic, and chop the celery. spray a pan with fry light and cook the onion, carrots, garlic, celery and mince for 4-5 minutes. add the tomatoes, bovril, sweetener and oregano. stir to mix well and bring to the boil.

3) transfer the mixture into one large or four individual pie dishes and top witht he swede mixture. beat the egg, brush over the top and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden.

whats the cal/sat fat??? do you know???

emma04
12-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi

I lost 12lb in 3 months (doesn't sound much over a long period but thats all i wanted to lose) and i know youv'e probably all tried and tested many different ways to shed a bit, but try this if you haven't already....

Breakfast

Replace everything with half a bagel topped with Philadelphia light and 1 slice of wafer thin ham include a piece of fruit if you like.

1 x Cup of tea, drop of semi skimmed and one or no sugars

or fruit juice (No coffee - it makes you hungrier.... no scientific evidence just mine!)

Mid Morning

Funsize bag of Maltezers or a piece of fruit (i know what i chose!!)

Lunch

Two slices of white or brown bread, spread with philadelphia light instead of butter, wafer thin ham or turkey etc. & salad ( tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber etc)

1 x packet of Snack a Jacks any flavour

Piece of fruit

Water to drink - plain or flavoured, still or sparkling

Dinner

The same as what you normally have but half the size or at least noticably smaller than usual!!!

Evening - whilst watching telly!

If you must, have another bag of funsize Maltesers or another bag of Snack a Jacks.....but try not to do this every evening!

Try and stick to pizza, chips and other naughties only once a week - I chose a friday cos thats the night hubby goes out for a beer and means i don't have him watching me!!! (he doesn't but it feels like it!!) Friday was my rebel night and i would eat whatever i wanted in reasonable quantities!!:clapping:

For me this was one diet i could stick with, cos it meant that i could have what everyone else eats (in smaller portions), i never had to watch them eating tasty food, whilst i was left with some undesirable looking soup!! And i always knew that on a Friday if i stuck with the breakfast and lunch, that i could treat myself at tea time!!! or a bit later (when the house was empty) without feeling guilty.:D

No butter, No chunks of cheese and No crisps (these were my down falls and i never ate these at all.......except a bit of cheese on my Friday pizza!!!):blush:

PS I did also go to the gym for 2 hours a week......but that was cos i was on my ar*e all day and not like you all... doing school runs and walking with buggies etc.!!!!!!:littleangel:

carolinel
12-01-2008, 09:45 PM
sorry, I don't know. recipe taken from this months sw magazine, it used to tell you cal / fat content but doesn't anymore.

manjay
12-01-2008, 09:46 PM

ingredients

2lbs/908g swede
1 red onion
2 carrots
2 garlic cloves
2 sticks of celery
fry light
1 tbsp chicken bovril (I didn't understand what this meant so just crumbled in a cube of knorr chicken stock)1tsp artificial sweetener
2 tsp dried oregano
1 egg

on slimming world it a classed as free food.

Chicken Bovril comes out of a jar and is sin free. Stock cubes have sins so just another way to cut out sins. I use carrot and swede to make the topping as I think it is tastier than swede on its own. Another version is to use quorn mince and then you can top with normal or sweet potatoes.

amanda xx

carolinel
12-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Chicken Bovril comes out of a jar and is sin free. Stock cubes have sins so just another way to cut out sins. I use carrot and swede to make the topping as I think it is tastier than swede on its own. Another version is to use quorn mince and then you can top with normal or sweet potatoes.

amanda xx

I looked in morrisons and asda for bovril in a jar. Is it granules? couldn't find it.

miffy
12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the recipe caroline

miffyxx

manjay
12-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I looked in morrisons and asda for bovril in a jar. Is it granules? couldn't find it.

No it's the stuff my grandad used to drink (with hot water added of course)!! You can get it in beef or chicken and it is sold by the gravys and stock cubes. It comes in a little squat jar like marmite. I don't use asda or morrisons but don't see why they should not have it.

amanda xx

carolinel
12-01-2008, 10:29 PM
thanks Amanda - I know what to look for now!

Spangles
13-01-2008, 08:31 PM
No wonder that cottage pie took so long to do! Thanks for the recipe!

Emma - congratulations on your weightloss, it sounds a lot to me! I know what you mean about feeling like hubby is watching you eat! I tell my hubby to not let me eat anything 'bad' but then when he tries to do that I get in a grump with him! Ha ha!

angeldelight
15-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks for that Caroline

Angel xx