PDA

View Full Version : Potty training

Rainy
10-09-2008, 08:53 PM
I have a mindee who will be 3 on December and is still in nappies. Me and his mum have discussed potty training for a while and she had planned to train him during the summer holidays as she is a teacher so only comes to me term time only. When he came back to me last week he was still in nappies and i was told she had only been doing it for the last few days and that morning he had poo'd on Dad's lap. She wanted me to let him run around with a bare bum but i said no as i did not want poo & wee all over my carpets & furniture. I have kept a nappy on him while he is here but regually put him on the potty and asked if he wants to go. I have managed to catch a few wee's in potty but he is having a major paddy each time i put him on it and as soon as i put nappy back on he is doing a poo. I am happy to work with his mum doing this but i feel she should be doing the main bit and spend a week in doors with him to get him properly trained. His mum has asked again to let him run around with a bare bum but i am not happy about it. Am i being unreasonable, i can't stay in doors all day because of school runs.

crazybones
10-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Sounds like he is not ready to me. My son is 3 in December and, much as I would like him to be, he is just not ready. He has no interest in the potty or the toilet (with or without child seat), although apparently he did a wee in playschool for them this week!

My toilet training policy states I will help parent but they must start it off and would advise her to do it at half term when she will be off school with him. Best of luck.

sarah707
10-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Parents must start potty training and get the child to a fairly good level...

They are confusing him... and he's clearly upset by the whole thing.

Put his nappy back on and wait for October half term xx

sue m
10-09-2008, 09:20 PM
My little one is 2.5 and still in pull ups but his Dad has had a little talk with him, nothing major and I've mentioned using the potty so he did 5 wees on the potty yesterday but today he played out all day long and we both actually forgot all about it. I'll see if he asks me again when he comes next week, I let him ask me and I put stickers in his daily diary when he uses the potty.

Rainy
10-09-2008, 09:40 PM
That's a good idea about the stickers. think i will do a chart for him.
What annoys me is she had 5 weeks to do this over school holidays and left it until a couple of days before he returned to me.

LisaH
10-09-2008, 09:51 PM
A lot of parents seem to think its our job to potty train and dont realise that they have to make the effort too!!! I have an 18mth old and her mum wants me to start potty training!! Naturally i have refused.
Defo wait till October half term as suggested, I have found a more intense approach works really well.:)
I agree with you not wanting to let him run around without a nappy too!!

Mrs.L.C
11-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Iv always used stickers when potty trainign but the child has to be ready. Has the child started taking his nappy off esp first thing in the morning or after a nap?

This is the best sign by far. I always have a potty downstairs, even when im not potty training, just so the children can see it, play with it like putting dolls on it and just get used to it.

I ask parents to start it at home (school hols are best) and then when they have had a week of mostly dry days, then I introduce it here. the last child was potty/toilet trained within a few days as both me and parents kept potty donw stairs and at home he ran around with no pants on but I had to get him to wear them here

angeldelight
11-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Parents must start potty training and get the child to a fairly good level...

They are confusing him... and he's clearly upset by the whole thing.

Put his nappy back on and wait for October half term xx

I agree it sounds like the little one is not really - no wonder he is having a paddy

Leave him be for a bit - there is no rush

Angel xx

bubbles
11-09-2008, 08:41 AM
I have got a mindee who is 3 in December too. His mum wanted him potty trained so she started it when she was at home with him during the summer holidays when i was on holiday for the week. When he came back, i carried it on but he was mostly dry in the day by then. I still have to put a pull up on him if we go out to a softplay area or something because he can forget otherwise but on the whole he is really good. When he came back i just told mum to put lots of spare underwear in his bag in case of accidents but i was lucky and he has only had one! I was also lucky that mindee really looks up to my son who is 4 and copies everything he does so he liked to be able to go to the big boy toilet like him!

I agree that your mindee doesn't sound ready yet and i would just wait and get mum to start it in the October holiday. Like others have said, just keep the potty about so that he gets used to it and let him use it if he wants but i wouldn't be letting him run round with bare bum either!