PDA

View Full Version : How do you do sleeps?

Tammy
10-09-2008, 08:08 PM
If children you look after need daytime sleeps do you stay in for them and put them into a cot/bed or do you just go about your normal day and they sleep in the buggy? Is there a right or wrong thing to do. With my own I'd let them fall asleep in the buggy although when they were little I tended to stay in more around sleep time. The problem is with pre-school and school pickups it's more difficult to do that.

thanks

Sam

Twinkles
10-09-2008, 08:13 PM
'Tis a finely balanced procedure ;) I don't stay in for morning naps ( in fact I actively discourage them ! ) but I make sure everyone has had lunch and is in bed - or quiet time - by 12.30. That gives them enough time to nap before the school run.

Control freak - moi ?

Having said that it all goes to pot in the school hols 'cos we're out and about so much :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
10-09-2008, 08:15 PM
I take mine out in the morning and if they fall asleep then in the buggy they go.

I would say that 90% of the time they are too nosey about their surroundings or engrossed in an activity. Mine are fed and watered and tucked up in bed by 12.30 for a 2 hour nap.

crazybones
10-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Mine have decided to synchronise their sleeps during the last week or so. :rolleyes: I now have to invest in another travel cot as neither of them will sleep while out and about in buggy.

Alibali
10-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Out and about in the morning, home for lunch, then after lunch they say 'snooze time'. Off they all go for 1 1/2 - 2 hours and I wake them for the school run:)

Oh and it's all completely child led:laughing: They are all very sleepy at exactly the same time

Chimps Childminding
10-09-2008, 09:04 PM
How do you all get them to sleep at the same time??? Its not fair, I very very rarely have that happen it usually happens that if one sleeps the others are awake, and then if they fall asleep its usually when the first one has woken back up!!!!!!!!

And if by some miracle I do manage to get them all to sleep the MIL decides to visit, so any thought of having a nice sit down, cup of tea and sneaky look on the forum goes out of the window!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing:

sarah707
10-09-2008, 09:16 PM
We tend to go out in the morning and they are too busy to sleep.

After lunch, it's on with the telly for a little while or out with the books...

I usually manage a cuppa but baby only sleeps for half an hour then wakes up screaming and off we go again :D

fionamal
10-09-2008, 09:39 PM
My 10month mindee sleeps in the buggy on the way back from the school run and then normally again after lunch about 1pm he will sleep for about an hour or two if im lucky.

Rainy
10-09-2008, 09:55 PM
We do all our activities,outings etc in the mornings then it's home for lunch then bed in travel cot. When mindees were younger would do 1/2 nap in morning before we went out. I used to have one that slept in buggy on school run but that backfired because if we wasn't out at that time of day during school hols he would not go to sleep in travel cot.

sarah32
11-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Im the same, I try not to put them down for sleeps in morning as stops us from doing things.

After lunch its bed and all 3 off mine are down for 12.30pm and sleep for about 2 hours. Bliss:)

katickles
11-09-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm the same as most of the others, if were out & about its in the morning, home for lunch & then down for sleeps at 12:30 & that will be until 2:00/2:30 ready for the school run.

:)

Mrs.L.C
11-09-2008, 08:03 AM
'Tis a finely balanced procedure ;) I don't stay in for morning naps ( in fact I actively discourage them ! ) but I make sure everyone has had lunch and is in bed - or quiet time - by 12.30. That gives them enough time to nap before the school run.

Having said that it all goes to pot in the school hols 'cos we're out and about so much :thumbsup:

I am totally the same but if they fall asleep in pushchair whilst im out then I let them sleep. If I had a child whos routine was naps in the morning and the parents wanted to keep to this then I wouldn't change my daily plans as it wouldn't be fare on the other children so they either napped in the pushchair or if parents weren't happy with this then I would have to recommend they take them to some one who would stay in or a nursery

Bushpig
11-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Sleepy time is all about routine for me. The kids know that after lunch it is 'sleepy time', or 'quiet time' for my oldest child. When we have washed up after lunch they automatically give each other kisses and say 'goodnight, see you at wakey-up time', go to their usual cot and stand there, waiting for me to lift them into it :) Bless. My kids always sleep at the same time, might wake up before the others, but they go down together.

Cammie Doodle
11-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Heaven I say . I have 2 2yrs old , one who NEEDS a sleep and the other one 's Mum has asked me not to let her sleep as she wont go to bed in the evening:rolleyes: This is really awkward :(

Rainy
11-09-2008, 11:51 AM
I find it a problem when you have older ones that do not sleep. I live in a bungalow and when i have one asleep it's really hard to get the older ones to keep the noise down

Andrea08
11-09-2008, 12:02 PM
hi, i have noticed it depends on our routines, i use to go to drop-ins and toddler groups in a mornig so if they fell asleep in pram on way home or car that was ok but lunch and grumpy babies is no fun so now i have a set routine and every1 fits in with it,,,
8am arrive
8.30 leave for school
9.15 free play
9.30 circle time
tidy up time
9.50 fruit /snack time

all babies (under 3yr olds ) bed time 10am till 11.45

big pram off to school collect at 12pm
12.30 lunch
no later than 1pm out for afternoon activity (got 2hrs for fun)
back for 3 ready for school pick up at 3.15pm

back for evening play and meal
5.30 tidy up time

all kiddies leave by 6pm

mmmm no wonder im knackered by 7pm lol

Mags
11-09-2008, 05:56 PM
mine have always selpt at the same time...after lunch. they are always ready for a sleep at this time due to being out and about all morning at drop ins etc.

Twinkles
11-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Heaven I say . I have 2 2yrs old , one who NEEDS a sleep and the other one 's Mum has asked me not to let her sleep as she wont go to bed in the evening:rolleyes: This is really awkward :(

Tell mum you can't stop her sleeping as it's against her human rights and you could get into trouble ( don't know how true that is but it sounds ok :thumbsup: )

Twinkles
11-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I find it a problem when you have older ones that do not sleep. I live in a bungalow and when i have one asleep it's really hard to get the older ones to keep the noise down

You could start a ' quiet time ' . In my house everyone who doesn't have an afternoon nap must sit on the sofa , with a blanket and either 'read' books or watch a dvd. It's surprising how many of them succumb to the arms of Morpheus.

Bushpig
11-09-2008, 06:20 PM

haha I was going to write the same thing as Twinkles...

... the little one sometimes does fall asleep on the comfy couch anyway :) I pop a blanket on him and that's that.

Rubybubbles
11-09-2008, 07:23 PM
My new children sleep from 12:30-1 to 2:30-3:clapping:

when I was looking after a baby at my last house, he would often fall alseep in the pushchair, he was a sleep monster! I use to still go to toddlers ect anyway!

Looking around and most toddlers ect are in the morning so I can keep the boys to this routine!

Funny enough the children are 18 months and 2 yr 9 months and mum can't believe I got them to sleep, they never sleep during the day at home:eek: then I had a call tonight to say they went to bed at 6:30:clapping: sleep requires more sleep which makes a happier child I say.

oh and btw if mum said no sleeps, I would NOT force a child to stay wake it is neglect of their needs:D (thats how it was put to us on my child behaviour course!!)