PDA

View Full Version : I'm new..please help!

pinklady
10-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi there ladies

I would really love some advice. I start my pre-reg course tonight and I'm sooo scared!! All I've heard lately is negative things about childminding so i'm craving some positive advise to assure me that this whole process will be worth it.

Thanks

E x

jellytot
10-09-2008, 10:05 AM
it is truly worth it, when you start minding you will realise how rewarding it is.
we may all have our moans and gripes but i think the good does outweigh the bad.

someone else is prob better than me at explaining this

it is the times when a child falls over and they come to you to make it better, when you see them do something new or when they acheive something they didnt think they could do, the look on their face is just pricless.

i will let someone else do this cos i am rubbish at trying to say the right words

good luck with your course

oh best advise i got was be yourself

LOOPYLISA
10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Well im in the process of registering at the mo , shouldnt be too much longer and to be honest if it wasnt for this forum im not sure i would of carried on , i wouldnt know half of wat i do now as there has been no info anywhere whatsoever, when i say wat i plan to do peoples words are "your mad", yes probably but im my own boss, i get to be here when my dd walks in from school, i look after my neice at the mo and yes some days with her are :angry: , but like this morning she gave me a big hug and has been so loving, so only you will know if its right foor you, good luck, sorry i did go rambling on there !:D

pinklady
10-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks ever so Claireb & Lisa, I'm feeling a little less scared after your kind words!!

sarah707
10-09-2008, 11:59 AM
I've been a childminder for nearly 15 years.

Sometimes it's hard work... at the moment there's new legislation which is making it even harder.

Lots of support here though... and I can't think of another job I'd want to do as much.

Good luck with the course :D

jellytot
10-09-2008, 11:59 AM
your welcome.

:thumbsup:

pinklady
10-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the advise and the links Sarah..going to have a look right now!

Esther x

Ripeberry
10-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Welcome to the forum! I'm in the process of registering as well and im trying to get the garden sorted (fence around pond) and sorting out our leaky roof in the conservatory.
I've decided to childmind as basically i like looking after/nurturing.
Always have, be it pets, looking after the elderly as a volunteer and a Home carer and helping out at the pre-school.
Childminding came up as the most familly friendly solution.:)

Twinkles
10-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Yes it's hard work , yes I hate all the paperwork.

But when E ( who's seven and I've looked after her since she was six months old ) came running out of school yesterday , threw her arms around me and said ' Happy Birthday Nikki , I do love you ' it made my day !
I can't think of another job where you would get such job satisfaction ( or so many hugs :D )

Chatterbox Childcare
10-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the forum

I have been a childminder since 1993 and I love it!

There is a lot of negative press at the moment and childminders whinging because it is getting too hard.

It is hard work but so so so rewarding. to see a baby smile and their face light up in the morning when they see you and struggle to get free of mums arms makes it all worth while.

The pay isn't bad either!

madasahatter
10-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Try to remember that a lot of what has been in the press lately has been sensationalised. Much of what they have said implies that childminders do nothing with regards to paperwork etc. For many the new regulations mean a shift in thinking and a little extra paperwork. Lets face it you can't do too many observations on little ones or you'll need a fork lift truck to lift it by the time they go to school (I'm aiming for 1 a week per child plus anything surprising). I for one like the new EYFS.

Good Luck, it's the most rewarding career I've ever had!

Pipsqueak
10-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Its ok to be scared - I'm bricking it at the thought of doing my degree (have I mentioned that yet guys???:D )

Childminding ain't the easiest job in the world, nor are you going to become a millionaire but I reckon its one of the rewarding jobs in the world - the special little moments. For every "horror" story or negative comment there are several more that are wonderful. Like anything, its what you make of it - being positive (of course we all have our down and out moments).

You'll be fine and besides you are now a member of the Bestest Forum ever where you will find all the fun, laughter, support and shoulders (to have a moan on!!) that you will need!

Welcome by the way

angeldelight
11-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Hello and welcome

Hope your course went ok last night - let us know

Angel xx

pinklady
11-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks ladies!! I can see I'm going to be using this forum a lot!!

You're all so positive which is fantastic and makes me feel so much better. The 1st session of the course went great and it all makes a lot more sense already. The tutor said we'd be spending time on policies and parent packs which are 2 things I was worried about. It seems like there will be a lot of support and the area has an excellent ofsted record so the support network must be good.

Thanks again
Esther xx

angeldelight
11-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Glad your course went ok Esther

Yes make sure you use the forum everyone is really friendly and its the best place to be ha

Angel xx

Monkey1
11-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Glad it went well. Don't be put off, its worth it......most of the time!:rolleyes:

fluffysocks
11-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm new too, going through registrartion now and start my course next week. My friend recommended this forum and I think i've been on everynight since just soaking up all the information and it has been invaluable. I dont know how I would've got through it all.

I am in no doubt that its going to be alot of hard work and many hours doing paperwork and if i'd have known about what EYFS entailed before I started registering I really think I wouldn't have bothered!!! But i'm here now and intending on making the most of it.

The most important thing is that the children in your care are happy and safe and that the parents are all happy with you. Our No1 priority is the children!!

Good Luck

xx

donnahay0
11-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum,

I won't lie and say it is absolutely fantastic, however, in reality what job is, they will all have their downs as well as ups.

I really get a kick out of a child learning something new that I have taught or been involved in from learning a new word, doing up shoe laces to counting to 10 etc.

The parents can sometimes be a pain in the butt but most of them are great.

Just think how many people can say they sat on a georgous day in the park having a picnic and playing football and still get paid for it - can't be bad. Money is good if you have more than one child and you occasionally get an odd day off that wasn't planned. If you are organised (and there are a few) you can sometimes get a few jobs done during the day like putting the wash load on and hanging it on the line. Prepping dinner if you are lucky to have one who takes a nap during the day.

Paperwork is a pain every now and then like most of us have found at the moment but once you have it sorted it usually ticks along ok. The worst thing is the amount of toys I have to find a home for.

So you can see the scales are balanced depending on what you would find most annoying/pleasing about the job. In my case they are tipping to the favourable side at the moment.

Sorry I am waffling, I shall shut up now.

p.s.

Everybody on this site keeps you sane and there is always a laugh on here to be found somewhere.

pinklady
11-09-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm feeling so positve about it all now. I know it's not going to be easy but I can see this forum will keep me sane!! There so much help and support on here.

Esther xx

ruthkingshott
11-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi there ladies

I would really love some advice. I start my pre-reg course tonight and I'm sooo scared!! All I've heard lately is negative things about childminding so i'm craving some positive advise to assure me that this whole process will be worth it.

Thanks

E x

hi
you will love the job and hate the paper work and sometime the parents
drive you mad but to me I have the best job I get to spend time with wonderful young children and help them grow and develop into wonderful joung people . not many people can say that
good luck
ruth :clapping:

pinklady
12-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks Ruth,

I'm sure parts of the job will drive me mad but as you say it's great to have the chance to be with your own children.

E x

tulip0803
12-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I was an OFSTED childminder in England and moved to Wales. Due to forces beyond my control (Lolcal council planning dept) I was not able to start childminding:( . I am now in the process of re-registering:clapping: . I love the job and have had a "problem parent" but the children and the vast majority of my parents were lovely and appreciated me and the job that I did. I have had 2 other jobs whilst being here and immediately I got the chance (planning rules changed) I have started the process. It has been a very long process reapplying with CSSIW but I can honestly say that I really enjoy the job and cannot wait to start again:D .

My children are all at school so I am not returning as I have little children of my own (I started that way). I lvoe the children and the way I can help them to learn and discover. I love being my own boss and being there for my children when they need me.