PDA

View Full Version : Just been insulted on my front door...

tomthumb
09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
I can't believe it, I am shaking as I am writing this. Some parents are completely mad. Some of you might remember that my dream parent turned completely mad last month. Anyway, we are at the end of the contract and we are not talking. Her husband was late in picking up last week, so I told her that she will be charged £5 late collection fee (I was so nice to that parent, she has been late so often but I never charged her). I thought I am not going to be nice to her as she has been quite nasty.
This evening, she is late again and she texts me asking me if I will charge. I reply yes as she is more than 10 mns late. Anyway, her husband comes to collect (she is such a whimp she can't even face me!!) and asks me again so I say yes. He tells me that he is only 6mns late on his watch, so I say, well my watch counts and it is more than 10 mns. He starts arguing and then walks off shouting 'silly woman' over his shoulder, in front of my children. I slammed the door and was in tears. Then he calls me (with his wife screaming in the background) saying that he wants to end the contract immediately as he is not happy with ways things are going. Well obviously I am delighted with way things are going! :rolleyes: He then carries on about not wanting to leave daughter with me in those circumstances blabla (being quite agressive and not letting me talk). Anyway told him he was welcome not to bring her but he will have to pay for remaining of contract.
Anyway, think I will email him tonight to end contract as I felt really 'violated' being spoken to that way. She has also left a message on my voicemail threatening to let ofsted know about this....well it is a contract isn't it??
Feel a bit better but still shaky and close to tears again...why are some parents so nasty???

Sorry about length and thanks for reading

Elodie XX

Nicki L
09-09-2008, 06:17 PM
How horrible - how dare they treat you like that.

I would stick to your guns, charge them the late fee and charge them for the rest of the contract. Ofsted will not do anything as long as you are not in breach of your contract.

At the end of the day a contract is a contract. sounds like the parents are trying to intimadate (excuse spelling!!) you, hoping that ranting at you will let them off what they owe.

Good luck with this hun
xx

Twinkles
09-09-2008, 06:21 PM
You poor thing. How can some people be so nasty ? I wouldn't want anything more to do with them. They have broken the contract by being late regularly and for verbal aggression.
Contractual disputes are nothing to do with ofsted but it may be an idea to let them know if you think the parents might make a malicious complaint against you.
Have a large glass of wine :thumbsup:
Hope you feel better now.

Mrs.L.C
09-09-2008, 06:22 PM
How horrible - how dare they treat you like that.

I would stick to your guns, charge them the late fee and charge them for the rest of the contract. Ofsted will not do anything as long as you are not in breach of your contract.

At the end of the day a contract is a contract. sounds like the parents are trying to intimadate (excuse spelling!!) you, hoping that ranting at you will let them off what they owe.

Good luck with this hun
xx
Agreeing with the above

You poor thing. Its not nice when this happens but some parents....well you can imagine the rest of what im thinking.

donnahay0
09-09-2008, 06:22 PM
What a nerve of some people. He was well out of order shouting at you like that in front of your children.

I think you should definately charge the extra and stick to your guns with the contract - they are the ones that haven't stuck to their agreement and I expect they are full of hot air.

I don't think I would be happy to have somebody come back to me after they spoke to me like that either.

Let us know how you get on.

sarah707
09-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Poor you :(

Have a sit down and a cuppa before you do anything else... put yourself and your children first xx

Andrea08
09-09-2008, 06:30 PM
OMG and to think we were just "windypoping 2mins ago and havin a giggle"

how could they treat you like this? Parents make me sooo mad sometimes and i wont go on about all the sick , mad parents i have had to deal with , would be ere all night.

dont e-mail them let them calm down, they wont turn up again and if they did just say
"well i thought you never needed to use me again,,,, ive filled your place as you ended the contract so early and with out payment!"

good luck i know how you feel , big glass of red and a hug from me xxx

mum22
09-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Poor you, not nice, sending you a big hug (( ))

wellybelly
09-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Log everything (date / time ect) who said what ect. Ofsted are used to this, they won't be off with you for late fee's. Let them call ofsted, dont be scared of it. Say in your email that you have a complaints policy and they are welcome to contact ofsted if thats what they want. Parents are awful sometimes they think they can have it all. We are providing a service at the end of the day.

LisaH
09-09-2008, 07:24 PM
hope your feeling a little better now hunny!! So sorry things have turned out so badly for you.:)

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2008, 07:24 PM
I cannot believe parents can be so nasty.

i would say from your thread that they turned nasty when they wanted to leave - well let them

I would send them an email, followed by a recorded letter, saying that you are happy to carry on the childminding until ...... and you will finish the contract. However, as per the contract you will be charging after them being 10 mins late.

I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of leaving early....

make them pay....

Have a good cuppa and think it through but record EVERYTHING...

Hope you feel better in the morning

Pipsqueak
09-09-2008, 07:26 PM
sending you hugs - I have been on the receiving end of a ranting parent.

Have pm'd you

tomthumb
09-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words and pip for your pm!
I have texted her asking her not to bring her daughter tomorrow as I cannot bear to be in her (mum, not child)presence tbh, even 2mns will be too much, especially after being spoken to that way. I will follow with a letter and will let you know the outcome!

I'm going to sort out my house for tomorrow and have a massive glass, or two, of wine!!!

Elodie XX

charleyfarley
09-09-2008, 07:41 PM
I've also been on the end of a ranting parent so I do know how you feel.

It makes me so mad that parents think they can talk to us the way they do especially in our own home, sometimes in front of our own children.

You're well rid of the parents

Good luck with this

Carol xx

morse
09-09-2008, 09:40 PM
its your bussiness, your contract, they have to follow your rules, you are the boss! you are providing a service. Take care hope you feel better tomorrow.

jellytot
09-09-2008, 09:55 PM
hope you are felling better after your wine

:group hug:

angeldelight
09-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Hope you are feeling a bit better now

Angel xx

polobear1970
10-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Hope you feeling a bit better today, after yesterday.

I have to say why is it the minute things don't go there way the first thing parents say they are going to do is ring Ofsted, it's almost like when you where little if you don;t do what i want i'm telling mum and your going to be in big trouble.

Big hugs and don't worry to much

lisa

miffy
10-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Sorry I missed this yesterday Elodie

Hope you're feeling a little better this morning

Miffy xx

bubbly
10-09-2008, 09:20 AM
I missed this thread yesterday too.

Just wanted to send you hugs and hope you're ok.

What nasty parents, you didn't deserve being spoken to like that!

Stick to your guns and don't let them bully you. Good luck :)

katickles
10-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Hope your feeling better today x

ruby
10-09-2008, 10:08 AM
sorry you are having problems hope you feel better this morning

cathy

Julia
10-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Iwhy are some parents so nasty???

Sorry about length and thanks for reading

Elodie XX

Hi

Ive had many run ins with parents and crazy neighbours(shes left now thank god) but as long as your contract is up to date and valid, let the stupid man go to Ofsted and shout and scream, youve done nothing wrong!

My crazy neighbour threatened to go to the CSSIW and the police because one of my mums parked over my drive and didnt block hers at all but she couldnt get into her drive???? Crazy! I told her to, "go to the police go on, your the one whos going to look silly", she didnt and a couple of days later said sorry.

Ive had a grandmother shout at me on my doorstep, I told her daughter (whos child I was caring for) to not allow that women to drop off or pick up the child again (knowing this would be impossible for her) she ended the contract and paid me for the time I had minded him, I didnt press for anymore I was just glad to get rid.

just put it down to experiance, what else can you do? the good parents always seem to out weight the nutters :)

cloud9
10-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words and pip for your pm!
I have texted her asking her not to bring her daughter tomorrow as I cannot bear to be in her (mum, not child)presence tbh, even 2mns will be too much, especially after being spoken to that way. I will follow with a letter and will let you know the outcome!

I'm going to sort out my house for tomorrow and have a massive glass, or two, of wine!!!

Elodie XX

I really do sympathise with you here but you have now put yourself in a possible disasterous situation.
You cannot just ask a parent bot to bring their child unless there are very serious circumstances, such as the threat of violence to you or your family.
In doing this you leave yourself open to being taken to court for breach of contract, this can also result in you having to pay the parent for loss of earnings if they have been unable to go to work because you haven't given the appropriate notice.
I would stick exactly to the book with this parent because it sounds as if they wouldn't be bothered by causing you more trouble.
Also for circumstances like this you need i'd advise against text messaging.
Can you arrange for the parents to come round maybe without the children and talk through the issues. its to late to salvage the contract but it would be in everyones best interests to end it amicably and quickly.
Either say you are prepared to work your notice as per contract terms but the parents need to behave in an appropriate and civil manner for the duration. this is in everyones best interests.
If they are not prepared to do this i would advise them that they are contracted to pay for the required notice period (although this might be difficult to enforce if you have breached by withdrawing the service for that day) in which case why don't you come to a mutual agreement say half fee's for the remainder of the notice period.
I had to do this once but got the parents to sign a waiver saying that they didnt require the notice period and they were happy for me to start advertising for the vacancy.

I hope i dont seem mean in saying all this because i know what it can be like especially if you just want to get it all over with.:)

tomthumb
10-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Thank you everyone again. I was so cross yesterday! :angry: I can't believe how people can treat other people that way! Anyway, I called the legal helpline with Morton Michel and got some advice.
Basically, I was a bit 'silly' ahahah! :laughing: as I decided to write my own contract and didn't protect myself against this kind of problem. Saying that, she doesn't have a lot to stand on either so basically, I wrote her a letter and sent her reimbursement for today (as she did not attend) minus the late collection fee. This will probably make her really mad but why should I not take what's rightfully mine???
This is a lesson learned I suppose. What is really sad is that it makes you a lot more careful with other parents and you have to toughen up!
Thank you again, especially to Vicky for her help and advice on what to write on letter.

Elodie XX

PS: c.l matt, you didn't sound mean at all, this is exactly what I needed, advice!! Thanks:thumbsup:

son77
10-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I always thought with MM we could use our own contracts?????

Anyway, glad you are happier now & got it sorted.

cloud9
10-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Thats ok elodie i hope you get it all sorted i have been in a similar situation before and i know it can be really stressful and cause alot of worry and tears!

Pipsqueak
10-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Thank you everyone again. I was so cross yesterday! :angry: I can't believe how people can treat other people that way! Anyway, I called the legal helpline with Morton Michel and got some advice.
Basically, I was a bit 'silly' ahahah! :laughing: as I decided to write my own contract and didn't protect myself against this kind of problem. Saying that, she doesn't have a lot to stand on either so basically, I wrote her a letter and sent her reimbursement for today (as she did not attend) minus the late collection fee. This will probably make her really mad but why should I not take what's rightfully mine???
This is a lesson learned I suppose. What is really sad is that it makes you a lot more careful with other parents and you have to toughen up!
Thank you again, especially to Vicky for her help and advice on what to write on letter.

Elodie XX

PS: c.l matt, you didn't sound mean at all, this is exactly what I needed, advice!! Thanks:thumbsup:

You are welcome Elodie. Hope you are ok? Take a deep breathe and start again afresh.

xxx

tomthumb
12-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd give you a quick update! Those people are mad!! They just keep harassing me with emails and texts. All because they want their reimbursement of £36. I have sent it by 2nd class post today so they should receive it shortly. They are just really pathetic, sending me emails, advising me that they have taken legal advice and will take legal action if they have not received their money. Who would sue for £36???? It will cost them more money! I have called Morton Michel's legal advice and they have been really good. They have told me that I could just ignore her letters and emails.
They are obviously trying to intimidate me but it is not working! I can't say I am not stressing a bit over it as it is worrying receiving all those emails and texts but I am trying to rise above them!! :littleangel:
I have learned my lesson now and I have bought some MM contracts that I will now be using. I thought I'd save a few pennies and write my own but as I am not legally trained, I have not put enough in my contract to protect myself.
Anyway, I will let you know how it goes. Let's hope they stop soon!

Elodie XX

Rubybubbles
12-09-2008, 01:01 PM
oh hun, sorry to hear about these:censored: parents

I am with NCMA and have always used their contracts for the reasons you stated!!

good luck hun