PDA

View Full Version : what to do for a theme?

emmadines
09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I know! I know, they dont want it to be called a theme or topic but Im gonna use them just to give me if anything an idea what to do with them, so I dont end up doing the same old thing each month etc.

so I thought we could do something to do with autumn and seasons, maybe overflowing towards tpes of weather!!!

I have thought of collecting small twigs and dry leaves so the can paint them or just stick them to things (nothing that I own I may add!!) so it will be pretty much child led on that part.

just wondered if anyone had any other ideas???

donnahay0
09-09-2008, 02:38 PM
I think doing something with the rain is a definate must at the moment - splashing in the puddles, seeing how much rain falls during the morning in a jug - making a rain picture and adding umbrellas.

I made a weather chart using a paper plate. Divide it into quarters and stick, draw or paint different types of weather in each. Put an arrow in the middle with one of those paper fastners and hey presto a weather chart.

I will definately be sticking with some themes throughout the year but will happily abandon them if the mindee(s) are not interested.

cherry
09-09-2008, 02:45 PM
We collected dry!! leaves and laminated them to make a mobile which we hung up in the porch so it moves everytime the door opens

Tatia
09-09-2008, 03:15 PM
You can also iron leaves between two sheets of wax paper to make a 'stained glass' window.

emmadines
09-09-2008, 03:28 PM
We collected dry!! leaves and laminated them to make a mobile which we hung up in the porch so it moves everytime the door opens

ooo thats a fantastic idea!!! I have a laminater, never thought of that.

emmadines
09-09-2008, 03:28 PM
You can also iron leaves between two sheets of wax paper to make a 'stained glass' window.

waxed paper?

Tatia
09-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Uh oh, another cultural difference?:D It's like baking paper to keep things from sticking?

emmadines
09-09-2008, 04:04 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo keep them comming

waz paper mmmmmmmmmm gonna try to get them to stick haha:laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I am covering countries this month and we have themed the activities around food

one week is Europe and we are having french baguettes for lunch with cheese and onion, preceeded by porridge which leads in to our activity of Goldilocks and the 3 bears

another week is Asia where we are making chapattis and having a indian/chinese lunch and an activity of decorating a japanese fan and role play with a japanese and chinese cutler/restaurant/outfits

The USA is also covered by visiting the travel agents for brochures and doing gluing and sticking one day with the pictures and the next we are making a postcard to send to the parents again using the brochure. Lunch is hot dogs and chips.

I also ordered the passports that were advertised on here earlier this month and each day the children pick a country and put the flag against it

This can be extended to larger children too

Tatia
09-09-2008, 05:14 PM
You should have peanut butter and jam sandwhiches for American day!:laughing: Although we call it peanut butter and jelly.;) It's so American we even have a saying for things that complement each other really well - "that goes together like peanut butter and jelly (jam)".

Your country/food theme is really good especially with the flags, passports and postcards.

Andrea08
09-09-2008, 05:24 PM
can i just ask what ages are doing these wonderful weather charts etc,
themes for under 12mths?
x

emmadines
09-09-2008, 06:43 PM
my youngest - 2.5
mindee 6
mindee 4
son 6

donnahay0
10-09-2008, 06:49 AM
in the past they were 3, 4, 7 & 8

More recently 3 year old and 1 year old painted his paper plate with his fingers and ate some paint too.