PDA

View Full Version : how much TV

jellytot
09-09-2008, 01:37 PM
how much if any TV do you allow your mindees to watch?

mimo
09-09-2008, 01:39 PM
I let mine watch tv before school .I dont tend to let them watch it after school unless they are tired usually near the end of term .Dont particulary have a hard and fast rule about it though .Sorryknow thats not much help

hbomb1
09-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I let them watch TV before school say from 8.00 till 8.40. And then again after school depending on the weather. I occasionally put it on through the day usually when I am preparing lunch or just after lunch before nap time.

I put cbeebies on and I find that a lot of their progs are educational.

donnahay0
09-09-2008, 02:45 PM
I would let them watch tv before school and sometimes afterschool if the child wants to watch something in particular.

I had a new mindee start with me this morning and he came in went to tv and switched it on - I didn't know what to think really, I hate the tv being on so I let him watch it while I sorted out our wet stuff and got a cup of tea. He happily got on with playing with toys that I had already got out and he just looked up from time to time. When he wasn't looking I switched it off but he switched it back on. I told him we didn't have tv on all day and to my relief he didn't turn it back on, he did turn it back on later in the morning though.

I think I might havea battle on my hands, if he keeps doing it I will turn it off at the wall and say its broken.

Heaven Scent
09-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Gosh I'm not very kind at all in this respect - I rarely put it on except in the school hols - when on wet days we have movie time.

Mrs.L.C
09-09-2008, 02:57 PM
It depends on the parents really. Some days the Tv is on from 4.30ish-6 with the children taking it in turns to watch their programs but all my parents have said they like the fact their children can chill out and do what they want...within reason...after school. I make a point of staying out of the house when its nice until around 4, sometimes later, then back for tea.

Children have the opportunity to do homework whilst with me but I dont force it. Personally I think its something they should do with parents. Its the schools way of working with them (in primary school anyway) as well getting the children used to it.

I rarely have it on in the day. I save it for wets days when there's no where to go (I like to take the children out for at least hafl hour every day) or when the children are tired/not 100%

CCJD
09-09-2008, 03:30 PM
I donthave a hard and fast rule either- in fact it seems to depend on the children-my current lot lot hardly ever watch any-they just love playing and we just don't seem to ever think of it. When my niece was young and here all day she used to watch Dora and one other programme religously-this however was largely due to the fact that at home her brother tended to rule the roost and she rarely got to watch anything geared towards her. She was also a live wire and needed some calm time.when ofsted came they were more than happy with my explanation of tv time for her and liked that I had specifically chosen certain programme rather than random tv on for indiscriminate amounts of time.

kindredspirits
09-09-2008, 03:34 PM
i've had one mum who said he'll watch tv all day if you let him so please restrict it - i must admit i laughed to myself as i did have cbeebies on for george and this 4 1/2 year old knew ALL the words to ALL the songs - so i think its a bit late to try and restrict it. i have the tv on when george is in a moody as it keeps him entertained, i think after school kids should be kids and i bet you even if i kept the tv on they'd be playing with the toys. best bet is to keep it fairly open - i did turn it off at the wall the other day though as george likes to put it on himself and i was trying to have a conversation with new parents!

fionamal
09-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I generally have it on before the school as theyre all coming at different times and its too early in the morning for set activities and then again at 4pm after school as its normally just my 2 and the baby.

breezy
09-09-2008, 03:41 PM
never before school as my lot wouldnt go!:blush:

not much after school either, sometimes a dvd if it's wet but the kids I've got at the moment dont really bother, I have more problems restricting the computer to be honest!

Jinx
09-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Mindees..... ..... none

Me...... ..... helicopter heros, homes under the hammer, this morning, neighbours, deal or no deal......etc etc etc :laughing:

Bushpig
09-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Mindees..... ..... none

Me...... ..... helicopter heros, homes under the hammer, this morning, neighbours, deal or no deal......etc etc etc :laughing:

haha Hi Twin!

Me... Murder she wrote... loose women... diagnosis murder (great to have all the murder and loose stuff for the mindees!).... :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Bushpig
09-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Seriously though... it's a *special treat* in my home. I pop it on at 6 every night to calm my last two down before the folks arrive. I allow 1 hour of viewing to my oldest child whilst the other kids have their sleepy time.

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2008, 04:12 PM
We hardly have it on and somedays none.

We could be watching a film with the older ones if it is a bad day outside in the holidays with popcorn making prior.

ziggy
09-09-2008, 04:33 PM
the health visitor for our village advises on 20minutes a day and parents seem to think she is right, until they get home to their own houses LOL

so it's part of our daily routine that after lunch little ones go for a nap, older children can have 20/30 mins tv, then on the days they are still here at tea time they can have another 20/30 mins after tea.

sandra

mum22
09-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Mine sometimes have it on in the morning before mindees arrive, then it is pretty much off unless the weather is dire until after dinner say 5.30 - 6.15pm,
but it does make me laugh when some children know all the words and characters

Spangles
09-09-2008, 05:46 PM
We have tv on during breakfast time before school, then during afternoon snack for about 25 minutes and then my son has it on while I get dinner sometimes and one programme before bed.

I really don't think tv is as evil as lots of people would like us to believe as long as it's not on all of the time. My son is only allowed to watch children's tv (plus the Grand Prix!) and it is limited as above. I think children's programmes these days are very educational, teaching numbers, letters, colours, shapes, manners, language, etc.

Personally, I only get concerned when I hear how some people have the tv on all day and the child/ren just sit there staring at it. This has got to be wrong as no exercise, skills, communication or interaction is involved.

LisaH
09-09-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm a before and after school tv person too, and it's always cbeebies.Lol:)

morse
09-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Never before school!!! would never get them there,l think its good to get them running about and leave for school run 15 minutes early in order for them wake up before lessons, this works for me, after school will allow 45 minutes.

chez1373
09-09-2008, 09:49 PM
My son loves cebeebies he knows when its time for in the night garden an he will shout at me to turn the tv on my son is 2....

After school
My 12yr old mindee wants to play on the WII all the time and i mean all te time the 4hrs he is here he wants it on so i have to be carefull with that as he has ADHD and is Autistic.
My son and 5yr old will sit at the table wrighting and colouring (bad weather) but to be honest they would rather be in the garden we need the sun please.

I dont have a problem with my son watchin cbeebies at all he loves it he even has it on the laptop he is 2 for god sake lol

But i dont know if its right or wrong but if parents are ok then im ok,

hello kitty
10-09-2008, 06:18 AM
We very very rarely have the tv on. Not by any rule but the children just don't choose to watch anything. :)